Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Botchford: "McSchofties"

122 posts in this topic

2 + 2 may = 4, but you have to do some more creative math to prove that 2 + A = B is the same thing.

Luo's mind may be made up about leaving because any number of reasons. Here are a few possibilies off the top of my head:

1) Luo asked for a trade (even though neither he nor Gillis, both known for their directness, have ever said that)

2) Luo knew Schneider deserved to be a starter and offered to waive his NTC to make room for him not as a "trade me" demand but ultimate act of sportsmanship and class

3) the team told him they thought Schneider was the better long-term prospect for them (which Schneider's agent's recent hissy fit would seem to backup) and Luo felt slighted by that and wants to move on to a team that will value him for what he brings

4) the team told Luo they wanted to treat both goalies as starters and each would have to compete for ice team. (That has absolutely no proof, even if it is my not-so-secret dream.)

For all we know, Gillis saying he'd consider it if Luo changed his mind is just media play to up Luo's value by hinting he may not be traded at all, to spark interest in Schneider just for the chance to compare trade possibilities, or even to put pressure on Luo to forgive a team that asked him to move aside for the younger guy when it turns out that, at least in the short part of the season thus far, he isn't better as expected.

Speculate all you want, just don't have the hubris to pretend you know the unknowable as absolute fact.

Don't see why trading Schneider is such a bad idea. If we get a young blue chip star back like huberdeau or gudbranson which could help us for many years, I have no problems trading Schneider and keeping Lu. What Lu has shown is that he can still play at the highest level.

This reminds me of when Neil MacRae coined the term "Sedin Sisters", a slur which still gets thrown around in other cities despite HOF caliber careers, especially in the playoffs. And none of these guys are 'hockey experts', the only newspaper guy to ever cover the Canucks that really knew the game was Grant Kerr. Vancouver hockey coverage is, and always has been, the worst in the world.

We would be a lot better off with no newspaper, radio, or tv coverage at all.

Jason Botchford is basically Vancouver's version of Eric Francis.

Both of them love to talk, but neither of them have anything of value to say.

Botchford has sixteen years in as a professionally paid journalist,gainfully employed for the biggest chain of papers in the country for the last seven or eight years.

Conversely,CDC has the very best that journalism has to offer.

There's a rule in journalism that Botchford doesn't follow: When you write an opinion down, ask yourself, would you feel confident stating that opinion to the player's face? I doubt Botchford would have the balls to talk about Cory's 'McSchofties' in person with him present.

I don't have a problem with the article. Schneider let in some bad goals and that's what was reported.

The truth hurts sometimes, but that's all he's reporting.

In typical Vancouver fashion its overstated (e.g. any comments about how good Kassian is) but he's just reporting what he sees.

To be fair...if the general public actually were not so dumb and unimaginative in having an informed opinion about the Canucks, then it would be a different scenario altogether.

Sure as sh!t you will get another bunch of threads about goaltending in the next 48 hours because of that article.

Botch, you suck. Always have.

Mike Gillis must have JUST began his professional career by this twisted logic. Give Botch a pass because he's been in the 'biz for 16 years but Gillis 'the home-wrecker', who is faaaar from just getting his feet wet- is a fool, a clod and destroying this franchise?

You, Sir, fail on so many levels. It's quite pathetic actually. Get out your 'fire MG' sandwich board and your usual "he sucks", "bad for this team" b.s. and quit your lame attempt at defending a world class horses ass.

Your anti-MG and everything he stands for/does crap is oooooh so tired.

Also note I'm not saying those were not bad goals, of course they were

I don't have a problem with the article. Schneider let in some bad goals and that's what was reported.

The truth hurts sometimes, but that's all he's reporting.

In typical Vancouver fashion its overstated (e.g. any comments about how good Kassian is) but he's just reporting what he sees.

So you're mad at him for reporting what happened? AV said himself there was a couple of goals Schneider would like to have back.

Schneider was beat for two brutal goals — a couple of McSchofties — and was one of the reasons the Canucks blew a 3-1 lead and spoiled Henrik's night

Did Botch not take his anti depressants pre game? So dramatic. It was a loss - a tough one in a game that we should have won, but I get so tired of focusing on the goaltenders like they're the only players on the ice in the goaltender graveyard here. Look at the big picture, Botch....as a sports journalist, it's a disservice not to.

If he'd just reported what happened, it would be different. But he tries to get all cute and apply a label, as well as going further to villainize Schneids by placing him in a spoiler role. What happened to "no I in team?". There were many reasons and, yes, he has said "one of" but why single him out then? So he didn't just report what happened, he turned it into more than that.

This type of stir the pot "journalism" and reporting is a little McSchoft. McBotched. "Brutal". "McSchoft". "Spoiled". Sounds like Jason didn't get a Valentine and needs a hug.

Schneider has had three bad games this year. Luongo has had half of one. I agree with Botchford. 48 games sched, every single game is important and you can't be blowing a 3-1 lead. I know you shouldn't blame the goalie but those were two of the softest goals I've seen. But wait guys, we start playing Luongo again and Schneider might start tearing up and his agent will tell the media he "deserves" to start.

You do realize that GMMG had exactly ZERO experience as a GM AT ANY LEVEL when he was awarded the job here don't you?

I think that is Gillis that is running him out of town or at least driving him to the airport on the Nucks bus.

If not,I believe he would be staying.

Gillis said on Thats Hockey that if Luongo came to him and changed his mind and asked to stay, that he would of course consider it. That means that Luongo asked for a trade. Which means it wasn't management that ran him out of town. But alas, he didn't say those EXACT words "Luongo asked for a trade" so go ahead and say what you will, but any logically thinking person knows that 2+2=4, the sun rises every morning, and Luongo asked for a trade.