The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Botchford: "McSchofties"

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

For whatever the reason, the media in this city thrives on negativity. I guess they think that is what will get them attention. I don't understand why some of these writers don't just write really good articles about the Canucks that people will enjoy. Instead, the majority of articles are just ridiculing this team. Schneids better get used to it if he wants be #1.

Well, Schneider sucked yesterday. For the second (third, arguably) time in this young season.

There have been softies. Enough to coin a phrase? Probably not by my standards. But that's the business, and he has Luongo (excellent every single start so far) as a comparison point to make him look bad.

That said, I'm not a Botchford fan particularly. The writers that are also part of the 1040 talent pool (Gallagher excepted) are pretty much selected to "dumb down" the reporting to an audience they call educated / professional but actually believe is pretty lowbrow.

i stand by my thoughts that we have 2 good goalies not great and our team makes them look great..... our 6 game winning streak were against some of the least offensive teams in the league and in those games our team out played them, kept shots down to a minimal ,kept scoring chances way down and forced most shots to be perimetre low % shots .Our defence cleared every rebound and tied up their man in front in thoes 6 games aswell.... and sure enough everyone was talking about how great our goalies were.... last night our guys got outplayed dallas outmanned us infront of our own net, we didnt clear rebounds we didnt tie up guys infront and gave up alot more scoring chances and were outshot... we lose and its the goalies fault... both our goalies should get 10 mill a year by the sounds of it because aparenlty they are the whole team... the other 18 guys are interchangable i guess.

Every time I see that smug face on Studs and Duds I get a strong urge to put my hand through my monitor. Close your god damn mouth Botchford!

But seriously, can we all just calm down. Schneider had a bad game. He isn't the first goalie to have a bad game. I have Brodeur and Lundquvist in my pool, both of those incredible, Vezina winning goalies have had bad games this year.

I dont think it is the media's job to "create sensationalism". I thought their job was to report on the facts and interject with an opinion. When they change their opinion to suit "what will sell the most paper's" they lose journalistic integrity. Today's media has little journalistic integrity (IMO) and it is all about rating's, image and sales.

I think fans are wising up to the media's act. I'm noticing that more and more fans are becoming content with the situation and refraining from attacking either goalie, unlike the media, who seem to want to keep this tirade going.

Give it a rest, Botch and everyone else. I know criticism comes with the job of being an NHL goalie, or a professional athlete in general, but it doesn't mean we have to go out of our way to criticize. Like I said last night, it was an ordinary game for Schneider last night. Nothing more, nothing less. His and Luongo's elite play has warped everyone's perspective to the point where an ordinary performance is perceived as "crapping the bed".

Don't get so emotional about it. The guy isn't very good and the more Softies and games he loses while being on a good team will lessen his trade value. The prudent move is to get rid of him as quickly as possible so as to lessen the loss. The guy still has a bit of trade value. He should be able to garner a good solid third liner still. That could turn into a fourth liner if he is allowed to keep losing games and letting in softies for a couple of more weeks. It's just the right thing to do.

Archived