The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[VIDEO] An Entrance Proposal Amidst Such Controversy -- Addressed to DJ Dave.

As Canucks fans have debated the possibility of a new entrance theme throughout the past several weeks, it appears opinions have been completely divided. There are those who do not enjoy techno, and those who not appreciate too heavy a sound. There are those who dislike the idea of generic tracks that receive playback in most arenas. The consensus, however, appears to be that the team needs a unique theme. The choices selected by the Canucks organization for their NU2 Project have been, in the opinions of most fans, underwhelming, and there is nothing to identify with the Canucks or to capture and enhance the Canucks as a brand.

For many, "Where the Streets Have No Name" had an appealing sound that encapsulated the "west coast" sound with the iconic guitar riffs of U2's The Edge. I propose a similar sound. I present a edited/recut instrumental version of "Platform Moon" from Jupiter One's self-titled 2008 album, "Jupiter One." The track features a style consistent with the "west coast" sound, described by some as having a "haunting oceanic sound," but also presenting a kind of intensity, aggression, and coolness not featured in "Where the Streets Have No Name." It is also more upbeat than its U2 counterpart, addressing the problem many had with "Streets." The track is unique in the world of sports, and I feel it could become a part of the Canucks brand easily. Early feedback on other forums has been positive, and while I was too late to officially enter the NU2 competition, I feel with enough support it might receive consideration. After all, DJ Dave's soundtrack is always experimenting with new ideas. I feel this can be a secondary theme for the team, an alternative to U2 without abandoning that sound. While there are suggestions about entrance songs, I believe finding a theme to identify the team with is important.

To achieve this cut of the song, a number of simple edits need to be made. If I had a WAV file of it available (i.e. lossless audio), I'd cut it and have it ready for DJ Dave right away. If he is comfortable with using a normalized MP3 file, I have that available already. Hopefully this will provide an alternative to some of the other suggestions being made.

I'd like to hear your thoughts:

I'm starting to get annoyed with our discussions about the intro and goal song.

These are the least important topics that need to be addressed on our team, not to mention its not like we'll ever all agree on a song,

ive given up any hope of them coming up with a better intro than U2 - or a better tracklist for rogers arena. i mean look at the poll choices, nickelback was the only band i recognized... and EVERY song was garbage. vancouver will always go with trendy, cut and paste radio garbage that nobody will remember in a month. its a reflection of the city unfortunately.

I really like U2 and the beginning of this song kinda gives me the same vibe as Where the Streets Have No Names. I like the beginning, but I'm not a big fan of the other part of the song for a pump-up. I thought that they were trying to bring in a more intimidiating song for whatever reason (not that I care). I wouldn't mind sticking with the streets if we are going to go to another song that has the same type of vibe. Still a lot better than the majority of songs I've heard for the intros though.

I also wouldn't mind doing something similar to what the Hawks do. I kinda like how they switch songs to introduce players.

So, how is this different from the U2 opening? It's got it's own melody but it's the same idea and pace of the song with strumming guitars, yet it's less identifiable and hasn't been a part of our branding for the last however many years. That means a no from me.

While I like U2 better, I think that if we must go for an alternative, this is perfect. You captured everything that was good about U2 - the "haunting oceanic sound" that encapsulates the aura of Vancouver and the West Coast.

I'm tired of everyone talking about how it's not "intimidating" or "aggressive". "Aggressive" is overrated and played out. "Aggressive" is used by teams like Phoenix or Carolina - teams that use rotating "aggressive" music to compensate for the fact that they don't have the aura of tradition that comes with decades of hockey history.

We need something that represents the tradition of the Canucks and the importance of the team in Vancouver - especially something that epitomizes our great city of Vancouver. Something that includes the "haunting oceanic sound" and the natural, chilling beauty of Vancouver, as previously mentioned. Something that truly makes you think of Vancouver when you hear it. Now does some loud, aggressive rock sound really remind you of Vancouver and a long hockey tradition?

Let's look at Montreal for example, the most storied hockey team in the NHL. Do they go with some aggressive song to "pump up fans"? No, they play "Fix You" by Coldplay, which they have for years.

Now that's bone-chilling. But if that moment were replaced with some generic aggressive rock song, that incredible aura in Montreal would be diminished. Why? Because Montreal has history and tradition, and that song is both part of it and represents it. And yes, when I hear "Fix You", I think of Montreal.

This sounds really good, it's a great way of achieving the same kind of atmosphere as U2 without the embarassing "I want to run, I want to hide" thing.

I think the only trouble with it is that it's lacking in dynamics. It sets up a great atmosphere and tension, but that tension doesn't really bust out into anything more intense. It's a bit of a flatline in terms of energy.

The U2 track is a bit more effectively structured in that regard, U2 being an archetypal pop group they would make sure of that. The way the rhythm section picks up at the end of the intro takes it up a notch, and I think that's what the one you've chosen is lacking.

As Canucks fans have debated the possibility of a new entrance theme throughout the past several weeks, it appears opinions have been completely divided. There are those who do not enjoy techno, and those who not appreciate too heavy a sound. There are those who dislike the idea of generic tracks that receive playback in most arenas. The consensus, however, appears to be that the team needs a unique theme. The choices selected by the Canucks organization for their NU2 Project have been, in the opinions of most fans, underwhelming, and there is nothing to identify with the Canucks or to capture and enhance the Canucks as a brand.

For many, "Where the Streets Have No Name" had an appealing sound that encapsulated the "west coast" sound with the iconic guitar riffs of U2's The Edge. I propose a similar sound. I present a edited/recut instrumental version of "Platform Moon" from Jupiter One's self-titled 2008 album, "Jupiter One." The track features a style consistent with the "west coast" sound, described by some as having a "haunting oceanic sound," but also presenting a kind of intensity, aggression, and coolness not featured in "Where the Streets Have No Name." It is also more upbeat than its U2 counterpart, addressing the problem many had with "Streets." The track is unique in the world of sports, and I feel it could become a part of the Canucks brand easily. Early feedback on other forums has been positive, and while I was too late to officially enter the NU2 competition, I feel with enough support it might receive consideration. After all, DJ Dave's soundtrack is always experimenting with new ideas. I feel this can be a secondary theme for the team, an alternative to U2 without abandoning that sound. While there are suggestions about entrance songs, I believe finding a theme to identify the team with is important.

To achieve this cut of the song, a number of simple edits need to be made. If I had a WAV file of it available (i.e. lossless audio), I'd cut it and have it ready for DJ Dave right away. If he is comfortable with using a normalized MP3 file, I have that available already. Hopefully this will provide an alternative to some of the other suggestions being made.

I'd like to hear your thoughts:

....I have to admit , its better then I expected...but here is the problem....

it doesnt have the "punch" power of a Warriors Call or Burn it Down...and a Warriors Call

would have been far better if they had edited it forward 15 seconds, then it would have

had a stronger effect....the whole issue is that it is hard to cross the peaceful sound of

the west coast with the aggression of an east coast city and come out with something that

"says" Vancouver.......I dont envy the DJ for the choice he has to make....I voted for

Vol Beat ...but the Nickleback cut was the best set up

Archived