The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another bike lane.. This time in kits.

Mr.Habitat

one step closer to getting more

— NEWS 1130 (@NEWS1130)

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – The plan is to run a separated bike lane from the Burrard Bridge to Jericho Beach.

Mayor Gregor Robertson says the City has now wrapped up three open houses and a popular online survey.

“Over 500 people at the consultations over the last couple of months. Lots of good feedback, constructive feedback. I think there is a broadly shared concern that it’s not safe to ride a bike on Cornwall and Point Grey Road.”

Robertson says there has been much discussion about different possible routes.

Many drivers at the forums voiced concern that the already crowded Cornwall Avenue would only get more congested.

The Transportation Department will now make a recommendation to put before council in June.

As bill lumburgh once said " yeah... I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with that"

I'd be all about riding a bike if the city was actually set up for it, with major roadways repurposed for cycling and storage boxes everywhere etc.

As it stands though these bike lanes are just an afterthought and an impediment to other forms of transportation.

Where do you live?

Bike riders are notorious for going thru red lights and stop signs here. I was crossing the street last night at the walk signal and a biker ran the red almost got killed then almost ran me over in the process.

This city has more important things to focus on. But nope... Gregor wants his bike lanes.

Where do you live?

Bike riders are notorious for going thru red lights and stop signs here. I was crossing the street last night at the walk signal and a biker ran the red almost got killed then almost ran me over in the process.

This city has more important things to focus on. But nope... Gregor wants his bike lanes.

Looks like they should be putting more bus lanes in. Especially given that the buses that frequent that route are among the busiest ones around.

One could only think that if they had bus lanes to and over the Burrard bridge (heck up and down Burrard as well) that the capacity of the existing roadway would be maximized far in excess of what the bike lane might offer.

Especially when there's an existing bike path that follows more or less the shoreline that could be expanded and improved to make it a fully separate bike superhighway. Just delineate it properly (put in curbs and signage or whatever it needs) so that pedestrians don't just walk onto it without looking (treat it like any other street).

Archived