The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching staff needs a shake up!

cc_devil

This point (which, by this point, has been made and reiterated far too many times) is all well and good if you're only looking at the past 13 regular season games... Have we all forgotten the five games prior? Repressed them, perhaps?

In case you are in need of a reminder, the first round exit against the Kings was a prime example of AV's failure. Daniel Sedin's absence was no surprise, and yet he made ABSOLUTELY ZERO attempt to compensate (edit: by compensate, I mean a change of plans) for the team's loss. ZERO. Then, we get manhandled as a result in the first couple games. down 0-2 in a play-off series should be a red flag. CHANGE YOUR GAMEPLAN! Get the team going. What does he do? Well, he does what he does best. He croaked.

Better luck next year, right? I mean, that's what we have been saying for 40+ years... Is anything ever going to change? Not unless someone... makes a change...

Our roster has plateaued. With a salary cap in place, it will never get better. The only thing to improve is the playbook; a system which SHOULD contain multiple systems. AV's playbook has one page, and it was decoded a long time ago.

You know, these sh*t posts really piss me off. If he, or anybody for that matter, had have started this thread during that winning streak, it would have been instantly gutted by a glut of "we're #winning, stfu" posts just like this.

Even after our first of said wins, which followed a series of rather dry hockey on the Canucks' behalf. Even at that point of time "we won one game! stfu!"

Even if we win one, lose one, win one, lose one, you see "we just won! stfu!" or "one loss, here come the bandwagoners!1eleven"

Why don't you stfu and watch some damned hockey, so maybe one day you can learn how the game works, and so that you can witness the shortcomings this team sees as a direct result of bad coaching.

Or, as the alternative you clearly seek to amuse yourself with, you can continue your e-peen attitude and watch our stats climb on your dinky little iPhone while we pillage the northwest division of what little it's worth, while you sit in starbucks with your pretentious friends, drinking your pretentious lattes.

My opinion has held true for years, even in spite of the hollow success this team has seen in the regular season. My opinion comes straight from where it matters: the play-offs. When I piss and moan after regular season losses, however isolated they may be, I piss and moan because I see continuous trends of behavior that holds directly accountable for our play-off shortcomings.

I've been saying this for a while. Not because of last night's loss. That was just because of bad bounces. Team played well. However, the playoff inconsistencies are mind boggling and I don't understand how there hasn't been some sort of shake up behind the benches. It's in-excusable for the players not to show up for big games or teams to be able to take over the games as they have in the past few post seasons.

You're preaching to the choir Joe. I haven't repressed anything. Never mind the 5 games prior to that. Go back to the 7 games against the Bruins. This team IMO lacks mental toughness. They're great when things are going well. But tend to fold when the opposition pushes back.

I do wonder how you would have changed the plan against the Kings last year? AV did make a major change in goal. The team in it's present formation was built to run teams over on the scoreboard. To punish them on the PP. It's not like you can just go tell Mason Raymond to do his best Cam Neely impersonation and run people over.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. What this team needs for playoff success is a big mean ugly ogre on defense. The type of guy opposing forwards fear. The type of guy who's sole job description is to clear the front of the net and not turn pucks over. Think Craig Ludwig or Ken Daneyko (who both incidentally have their names on the cup) . Without that you're just going to see more of what you have the last 12 playoff games.

A 1st round exit this year will get AV pink slipped.

I agree with the OP. We're a top 10 NHL team that plays in the weakest division of the NHL. Imagine if another club played 50% of its games against AHL clubs. Then you'd read how easy their schedule is. But because its our team everyone pretends it doesn't happen.

For the past 3 seasons, our division is ridiculously easy. Once again, we're the only division that has every team except the division leader not in a playoff position. Why people choose to ignore the truth is beyond me.

The thing is, this coaching staff has a system in mind that is set in stone. They have no intention of adjusting it to make the best use of our players. Rather, AV and crew would rather compromise our players by forcing them into predetermined roles, rather than build roles around these players, and fit the puzzle pieces together.

This is why nothing changes, year after year, no matter what players come and go.

You know, these sh*t posts really piss me off. If he, or anybody for that matter, had have started this thread during that winning streak, it would have been instantly gutted by a glut of "we're #winning, stfu" posts just like this.

Even after our first of said wins, which followed a series of rather dry hockey on the Canucks' behalf. Even at that point of time "we won one game! stfu!"

Even if we win one, lose one, win one, lose one, you see "we just won! stfu!" or "one loss, here come the bandwagoners!1eleven"

Why don't you stfu and watch some damned hockey, so maybe one day you can learn how the game works, and so that you can witness the shortcomings this team sees as a direct result of bad coaching.

Or, as the alternative you clearly seek to amuse yourself with, you can continue your e-peen attitude and watch our stats climb on your dinky little iPhone while we pillage the northwest division of what little it's worth, while you sit in starbucks with your pretentious friends, drinking your pretentious lattes.

My opinion has held true for years, even in spite of the hollow success this team has seen in the regular season. My opinion comes straight from where it matters: the play-offs. When I piss and moan after regular season losses, however isolated they may be, I piss and moan because I see continuous trends of behavior that holds directly accountable for our play-off shortcomings.

A system is one thing but unless it executes properly it's quite another, in other words it could be the best system in the world but if the players don't do it properly or the correct players are there then it fails.. I.E. Dump n chase at the right time is great IF in fact if the dump is timed perfectly and the chase is done with fast forecheckers in position for a pressured turnover. Poorly excecuted the forechecker/s are left in the zone by a quick pass leaving the the dump and chase team in poor defence of it's own net. can it be more simple than that?

Does it mean it's a bad system? Obviously not! That's just one system.. you can't blame the coach if the system isn't done properly all the time, players are human and make mistakes. Nothing can be done perfectly all the time, that's why there's a things called practice. We're not even into a dozen times into the season, if close to season's end and it's still not working then try different players if that keeps failing after player changes THEN look at the coach... NOT until... anyway seems to me MG has been trying to address the player problem for awhile now and trying to get the right mix which is far from easy.

Yea, changing the line-up itself doesn't mean anything when the new players fill the same roles, and the system as a whole falls apart at the hands of a good opposing coach. It doesn't matter all that much who is in any given role. Of course there are better players than others, but we've had an extremely strong line-up for quite some time now, and any time the team fails, it's for the same reasons.

Archived