The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who loves 80s hair metal on here? It's more alive than you know!

Royal Dudeness

Aloha everyone,

One of my biggest passions in life is the sound of 80s rock n' roll, a sound that seems cheesy or downright lame to many, but I think it was a golden era in music. We live in a day where all the balls in rock bands has seemingly gone out the window.

Bands like Guns n' Roses and Motley Crue had some oomph in their music and they lived it up big. Those were real rockstars. Rockstars are a thing of the past today, although they somewhat do exist with people like Lady Gaga, and even that's pushing it.

Anyone on here still into this stuff? When you go out to a bar or club, depending on where you are, you might hear a couple classics from the 80s era, but most of the time, you'll be laughed at if you even suggest it. Party music that's not allowed into parties, what a shame.

Several years ago, I scoured the internet to see if this genre was being resurrected by someone, anyone, somewhere in the world. Sure enough, it seems like Scandinavia is stuck in a time warp. Maybe it's because the homogenous culture there hasn't been infiltrated with other styles of music and they're carrying on where the 80s left off, but this type of music is still going strong there.

I hope this is the right forum to post this stuff, but you guys should check out the following new bands out there that are bringing this music back.

-Crashdiet

-Hardcore Superstar

-Crazy Lixx

-Babylon Bombs

-Gemini Five

They're all from Scandinavia and they're all great IMO.

Here's a little something to wet your appetite.

Any of you guys have any suggestions for some great new bands out there waving the good time rock n' roll flag?

Check out this page as well for more suggestions:

https://www.facebook.com/HairMetal101

So, let's hear those suggestions!

There's a lot of new-style metal bands out of Scandanavia too. Don't wanna say it's a total 'white bread' thing, but it may be a factor.

Over here we had the Seattle grunge movement and the influx of hip hop that may not have happened over there to the same degree. Hence, the time warp.

That being said, the sound has been milked quite a bit. For every classic band and song there were 30 steaming turds. Still, classics are classics, no matter what the genre.

Not sure if new bands would offer anything truly 'new' though. More like a remembering of the same ol' stuff.

Still good, but done.

GnR were true musical masters, and do not deserve to be clumped into the same category as the "hair metal" bands.

Cinderella became better when they became true to their form as a blues rock band, instead of the glam metal of their first album, though their vocals are still terrible.

Bon Jovi thankfully grew out of the scene and expanded his horizons.

It was all a manufactured product and an overplayed concept at the time, with the music industry trying to cash in on the fad. Too many guys with hairspray and makeup making too much of similar sounding music, though some better at it than others.

I love 80's Hair Metal, Dudeness! I grew up in the 80's and I enjoy most of the music of the era. I used to DJ. So much great stuff out there, not just metal. Van Halen... The Police... Pink Floyd... Michael Jackson... Chili Peppers... Rush... Genesis / Phil Collins / Peter Gabriel... REM... Yes... Journey... ACDC... U2... G'n'R... ZZ Top... INXS... The Fixx... Styx... Foreigner... The Cars... B-52's... Depeche Mode... Simple Minds... The Cure... Eurythmics... Heart... Duran Duran... Tears For Fears... Frankie Goes To Hollywood... Pet Shop Boys... Smiths

Then, the metal... Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, Priest, Maiden, Ozzy, Sabbath, Dio, Motorhead, Malmsteen, Accept, Scorpions, Aerosmith, Dokken, DLR Band, Mr. Big, Alice Cooper, Kingdom Come, Poison, Black 'n Blue, The Cruë, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, Extreme, Kiss, Ratt, Queensryche, Helix, Lita Ford, Quiet Riot, Kix, Pretty Boy Floyd, Y&T, Blue Murder, Tesla, Loudness, Skid Row, Zebra, Autograph, Faster Pussycat, Bon Jovi, White Lion, Bulletboys, Stryper, Cinderella, W.A.S.P., Saigon Kick, Slaughter, Great White, Warrant, Night Ranger, LA Guns, Europe, Winger... just off the top of my head!

Sweetest time growing up with all of this great music! Time to go pick up my guitar!

Edit: Was just thinking about some great "Canadiana" from the time period, too... Loverboy, Chilliwack, April Wine, Triumph, Streetheart, Red Rider, Kim Mitchell / Max Webster, Jeff Healey, Coney Hatch, Gowan, Bryan Adams, Barney Bentall, Skinny Puppy, The Odds, The Kings, Rough Trade, Doucette, Powder Blues, Doug and the Slugs, Saga, The Pusuit Of Happiness, Honeymoon Suite, Platinum Blonde, Trooper, Prism, 54-40, Aldo Nova, Northern Pikes, Blue Rodeo, Toronto, The Hip, Men Without Hats, Images In Vogue, Frozen Ghost, Glass Tiger, Cory Hart, Strange Advance, Grapes Of Wrath, Zappacosta, Haywire!, Payolas, Harlequin, Headpins, Sarah McLachlan, Sass Jordan, The Box, Allanah Myles, Jane Siberry, Anvil, Voivod, Killer Dwarfs, Kick Axe, Brighton Rock

I love 80's Hair Metal, Dudeness! I grew up in the 80's and I enjoy most of the music of the era. I used to DJ. So much great stuff out there, not just metal. Van Halen... The Police... Pink Floyd... Michael Jackson... Chili Peppers... Rush... Genesis / Phil Collins / Peter Gabriel... REM... Yes... Journey... ACDC... U2... G'n'R... ZZ Top... INXS... The Fixx... Styx... Foreigner... The Cars... B-52's... Depeche Mode... Simple Minds... The Cure... Eurythmics... Heart... Duran Duran... Tears For Fears... Frankie Goes To Hollywood... Pet Shop Boys... Smiths

Then, the metal... Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, Priest, Maiden, Ozzy, Sabbath, Dio, Motorhead, Malmsteen, Accept, Scorpions, Aerosmith, Dokken, DLR Band, Mr. Big, Alice Cooper, Kingdom Come, Poison, Black 'n Blue, The Cruë, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, Extreme, Kiss, Ratt, Queensryche, Helix, Lita Ford, Quiet Riot, Kix, Pretty Boy Floyd, Y&T, Blue Murder, Tesla, Loudness, Skid Row, Zebra, Autograph, Faster Pussycat, Bon Jovi, White Lion, Bulletboys, Stryper, Cinderella, W.A.S.P., Saigon Kick, Slaughter, Great White, Warrant, Night Ranger, LA Guns, Europe, Winger... just off the top of my head!

Sweetest time growing up with all of this great music! Time to go pick up my guitar!

OP, there's this band called Steel Panther which is kind of a satirical/tribute/i-hope-they-arent-being-serious band that plays 80s hairmetal style, and has the whole get-up and all that. their lyrics are hyper sexual and silly, but it's all done with self awareness.

my friend, who loves hair metal, swears by them. but i can't imagine anyone enjoying them unless they have a serious 80s hairmetal love and a sense of humour.

anyway, to call the Ramones an 80s band is too dismissive. they were doing their thang long before anyone else was ripping them off in the 80s, all the way back in 74.

my favourite 80s bands all seem to come from Manchester, which is weird, because they all claim to have been at the Sex Pistols show in 76. Supposedly only 30-40 people went to that Sex Pistols gig, but some of those 30 people went on to form my favourite bands! The Smiths, Joy Division, The Fall, and Buzzcocks. That's pretty remarkable to think about, how one concert could influence so many minds, and basically change the course of the whole 'indie' scene, and make punk music less shallow

OP, there's this band called Steel Panther which is kind of a satirical/tribute/i-hope-they-arent-being-serious band that plays 80s hairmetal style, and has the whole get-up and all that. their lyrics are hyper sexual and silly, but it's all done with self awareness.

my friend, who loves hair metal, swears by them. but i can't imagine anyone enjoying them unless they have a serious 80s hairmetal love and a sense of humour.

anyway, to call the Ramones an 80s band is too dismissive. they were doing their thang long before anyone else was ripping them off in the 80s, all the way back in 74.

my favourite 80s bands all seem to come from Manchester, which is weird, because they all claim to have been at the Sex Pistols show in 76. Supposedly only 30-40 people went to that Sex Pistols gig, but some of those 30 people went on to form my favourite bands! The Smiths, Joy Division, The Fall, and Buzzcocks. That's pretty remarkable to think about, how one concert could influence so many minds, and basically change the course of the whole 'indie' scene, and make punk music less shallow

Archived