The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roberto Luongo to start vs. Blues

-Vintage Canuck-

Consecutive playoff losses of 7 GA in a game, combined with almost choking the entire 10-11 series against them says otherwise. But I suppose everyone here wants to cover their ears and stomp their feet when presented with actual fact.

No, not because he likes Luongo but because he never posts without drooling over Luongo and shooting down anyone who does not share his opinion. Check out his history. It is really tiring.

Heck, I like Lu too but I don't post as though I'd like to have his child.

Back to my point:

2009 Playoffs, Conference Semi-finals vs. Chicago. Series Chicago 4-2. Luongo with 23 GA in 6 games. Chicago finished series at home winning 7-5.

2010 Playoffs. Conference Semi-finals vs. Chicago. Series 4-2 Chicago. Luongo with 23 GA in 6 games. Luongo loses games 4-2, 5-2, 7-4, 5-1.

2011 Playoffs. Conference quarter-finals vs. Chicago. Series 4-3 Vancouver. Luongo with 27 GA in 6 games. After a strong start going 3-0, Luongo loses games 7-2, 5-0, 4-3. 2 losses of which were in Chicago.

What does all this say? Luongo performs poorly against Chicago, and decidedly so in the playoffs.

I'm not saying anything controversial, just that Schneider should start in Chicago on Tuesday.

Back to my point:

2009 Playoffs, Conference Semi-finals vs. Chicago. Series Chicago 4-2. Luongo with 23 GA in 6 games. Chicago finished series at home winning 7-5.

2010 Playoffs. Conference Semi-finals vs. Chicago. Series 4-2 Chicago. Luongo with 23 GA in 6 games. Luongo loses games 4-2, 5-2, 7-4, 5-1.

2011 Playoffs. Conference quarter-finals vs. Chicago. Series 4-3 Vancouver. Luongo with 27 GA in 6 games. After a strong start going 3-0, Luongo loses games 7-2, 5-0, 4-3. 2 losses of which were in Chicago.

What does all this say? Luongo performs poorly against Chicago, and decidedly so in the playoffs.

I'm not saying anything controversial, just that Schneider should start in Chicago on Tuesday.

I expected Luongo would get the start. I think Cory will certainly get the start in Chicago on Tuesday, as Luongo is notoriously bad in Chicago. It will also be a great comeback game for Schneider.

The Blues have found some offense this season with the emergence of Tarasenko. Their blueline is also offensively gifted with Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo putting up the points. I'm looking forward to this game.

Short sample:

Luo: .943 S% and 1.45 GAA with 0 losses.

Schneids: .912 and 2.62 with 3 losses.

For the $1.4M in difference I would not be trading Luo any time soon if I was genuinely concerned about the team and the mantra of: 'The best will be iced and play' schtick we are sold is in fact in play or just a catch phrase in the mgmt. sound bite box.

Once again missing my point. I don't hold any resentment towards Luongo, nor will I eat crow if he does start. I was simply stating Schneider should get the start in the United Center as he plays better there. Nothing controversial, yet typical CDC, and posters like yourself run away with the idea that there is a dichotomy anytime someone says the other goalie might better be utilized in a certain situation.

Archived