The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop the Edler Experiment

RyanKeslord17

Why hasn't the coaching staff realized that Edler just cannot play the right side? I mean, it's pretty damn obvious. Garrison has struggled offensively, but defensively, I think he has been just fine. We should put Garrison on the right side (I think they put him there on FLA), and put Edler back on the left. Garrison can play more of a defensive role playing with Edler.

Pairings:

Edler-Garrison

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Ballard-Tanev

Why was Bieksa ever split from Hamhuis? That pairing was always good. And please put Garrison back on the PP.

what about the Schneider experiment?

nah, that has nothing to do with this subject, sorry for trolling.

i agree with your setup.

IMO, Hamhius and Bieksa need to be paired together again. you seldom see them let pucks squeak out of the offensive zone when the working the points.

Edler and Garrison have strong shots. Garrison needs to hit the net though.

Ballard and Tanev are pretty solid.

given the chance, he can get accurate shots like this.

and this

Jason Garrison did not play the right side with the Florida Panthers last season. Common misconception. He only played the right side on the power play with Brian Campbell.Five on five, it was Campbell who played the right side.

got to give him more time to adjust, its going to take 2-3 months to get used to playing the right side if not more. It is a big adjustment for his pivots, angling and board play. I agree its frustrating at times but he has played decent just not up to his normal level.

This shift to the right is not a short sighted decision this is a long-term plan with the four of them ham/juice/garrison/edler all locked up long term.

I, like most Canuck fans, am starting to lose support for Garrison. Edler playing the right side is a bi-product of Garrison demanding the left side. I'd much rather have Edler play the left side, as he can actually make passes and create opportunities if he can receive the puck from the side boards. Garrison on the other hand, is good for a big shot that more often than not misses the net. Let him play the right side, and prove that he can play defensively first.

Yes lets put the two highest d-msn on the canucks that ive the puck away. Man Garrison looks lost out there and edler hasnt found his form yet,so lets not put thees two together just yet.We need to wait till garrison starts playing better.

The Edler Garrison pairing was terrible. I think Garrison is playing quite well defensively now. He's got quite the reach out there and his size allows him to cover a lot of space in front of net. Edler is just bad defensively no matter who you put him with.

I, like most Canuck fans, am starting to lose support for Garrison. Edler playing the right side is a bi-product of Garrison demanding the left side. I'd much rather have Edler play the left side, as he can actually make passes and create opportunities if he can receive the puck from the side boards. Garrison on the other hand, is good for a big shot that more often than not misses the net. Let him play the right side, and prove that he can play defensively first.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - ...

Garrison - ...

Ballard - Tanev

My suggestion, like many others, would be to put Garrison on the right side.I don't understand why Garrison, the new acquisition, gets put in his comfortable position in lieu of Edler, who has been here his entire NHL career. Furthermore, Garrison played R in Florida on the PP to utilize his shot in the form of one-timers. Why not do that 5-on-5 if this is supposedly a puck control team.

Garrison is having an issue adjusting here. Why the hell would we switch Edler's side and put him in the same position as Garrison? Now we have two struggling defensemen.

.... Then there's Bieksa, who is completely lost when trying to play 2-way hockey. For the love of god, AV, just bring back the Hamhuis-Bieksa shutdown duo, and stop trying to get them to score points!

since the garrison signing i really thought a d-man was going to be traded... if salo not being re-signed doesnt put ballard in the top 4 then why do we still have 5 d-man being paid over 4 mill per season? maybe it will work out in the playoffs when a d-man goes down...

talking about using a buyout on garrison is idiocy though... we dont have any redden or gomez contracts, every guy who is making "too much" money (in the eyes of the fans) won't be bought out... at the least they could be traded for a pick, maybe more.

The same issue from years past still holds true: no #1 d-man. This is the one and only shortcoming of Gillis, IMO, but I don't really think there even is 30 d-men in this league capable of that role, so someone has to fall short.

Look at the San Jose sharks... their defense has been questionable for ages, too. Meanwhile, look at who gets to win the cups... Doughty, Chara, Kieth... and so on... and so on...

Edler is not that guy (if "yet" truly is the case), and never EVER will be on the right side.

Why hasn't the coaching staff realized that Edler just cannot play the right side? I mean, it's pretty damn obvious. Garrison has struggled offensively, but defensively, I think he has been just fine. We should put Garrison on the right side (I think they put him there on FLA), and put Edler back on the left. Garrison can play more of a defensive role playing with Edler.

Pairings:

Edler-Garrison

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Ballard-Tanev

Why was Bieksa ever split from Hamhuis? That pairing was always good. And please put Garrison back on the PP.

why not try him on the right side and see what happens...what do u haft to lose

see this is what puzzles me....they know edler plays better on his left side so they went out and signed another left side defenseman for big money when you already have hammer, edler, ballard and alberts who already occupy the left side :blink: and they let gragnani walk because they didnt like his style of play well for god sakes u have pro scouts to tell this stuff DO YOUR GOD DAMN HOMEWORK!!!!!!!!!

garrison is playing well but how can u criticize him that he isnt putting up points if he isnt being a chance to play pp minutes...your anger is misdirected, aim it at the coaching staff

Archived