The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop the Edler Experiment

RyanKeslord17

More fuel for the fire. I'm not going to hijack this thread, but it's funny just how many posts prove, case in point, the outright failure this coaching staff leaves in their wake. When will everybody realize the real problem with this team?

On topic, it really does piss me off that, as you say, a left-side UFA gets signed for the big bucks when we need a right-side guy. The part that REALLY pisses me off is that this UFA acquisition bumps Edler from his spot and forces him to play right side... How is Edler ever going to develop into that #1 guy everyone thinks he is capable of being if he keeps getting held back like this?

Gillis should be infuriated by AV at this point for this, among many other reasons. Ultimately, he has himself to blame as well for letting Salo go in the first place, then for attempting to cover it up by signing Garrison.

I feel that, since the cap restraints indicate that we need to liquidate certain assets, that the available assets of this team should be utilized to either trade for good, young, right-side D prospects, or for picks in which we can acquire one. If this pathetic coaching staff will in fact stay in place, then we should obtain our talent while it is young and malleable. Currently, there is no point going into the UFA and trade market and taking people when the only consequence to be had is the acquisition of a player that will be ruined by a stubborn coach's limited system.

Thank you.

Even when Edler played the left side, his biggest issue was pivoting and turning to his right. He lost a lot of momentum doing that and often stumbled unable to keep his stride with his left foot. I think it's his greatest weakness and playing him on the right forces him to address it. As his footwork/skating/balance improves in this regard his defense will become shutdown.

This also makes Edler more dangerous as an offensive threat positioning him to take advantage of center ice shooting lanes. He can be more dynamic at the blue line playing RD, particularly as his skating improves

In addition to being the best thing for Edler's development, it increases the utility of players like Garrison and Ballard, earning big money playing the left side.

Considering our overall defensive success so far, I find it hard to say the Edler switch has been anything but an excellent coaching decision. I find this, along with the use of Kassian and Schroeder, to be a big step forward in terms of coaching to be the best team for the playoffs and beyond.

Once again another coaching mistake. Garrisson is new to the system and will struggle so the should of been put on his offside and left to figure it out. You have two strong pairs by having Bieska with Hamius and Edler with Garrisson but with Bieska and Garrisson you now only have one tough defensive pair. :picard: Not to mention this mismanagement off Ballard.

Not to mention you have forwards playing defense on the powerplay when you have proven guys that can produce on the powerplay. Garrisson, Ballard, Edler and Bieska have all produce at onetime on the PP in their careers. Its beyond me how one of these D-men cannot be a force on the powerplay when they've all done it once before except now seem uncapable under AV and his staff.

This explains the Edler experiments as Av and his coaching staff no idea how to manage their players. Exactly why they need a whole new coaching staff!

Archived