The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop the Edler Experiment

RyanKeslord17

why not try him on the right side and see what happens...what do u haft to lose

see this is what puzzles me....they know edler plays better on his left side so they went out and signed another left side defenseman for big money when you already have hammer, edler, ballard and alberts who already occupy the left side :blink: and they let gragnani walk because they didnt like his style of play well for god sakes u have pro scouts to tell this stuff DO YOUR GOD DAMN HOMEWORK!!!!!!!!!

garrison is playing well but how can u criticize him that he isnt putting up points if he isnt being a chance to play pp minutes...your anger is misdirected, aim it the coaching staff

I have zero on hand knowledge on NHL coaching. Now that we've that understanding;

Knowledge is key. if the coaching staff needs to see strength and weaknesses amongst their players, then trying different things is a practice that is logically sound.

Players have their strengths and their short comings. Sometimes they're called upon to play different positions or with different linemates. Get 'em out of their comfort zone, as it were, and give 'em some experience at performing other tasks. The players get less bored, less complacent and it promotes more fun, more comradery and better moral.

It's an opportunity for the coaching staff to see what they have. If they need to make adjustments somewhere down the road because of injury or whatever, they can slot someone in who has done the job before. Case in point; Burrows playing centre. I think he actually played pretty well when called upon to do so for those few games recently.

In Garrison's defence; dude really never got to experience a full training camp since coming over. Learning a new system and playing in a different conference is alot to take in and adjust to. It's almost like the Andrew Alberts scenario a few years back. I'm not saying that he's in the same caliber as Garrison, but the circumstances are similar; no training camp and being thrown into a new situation. Though Alberts is only a depth player for our organization, we can all agree that his play was more sound after having a full training camp with his new team at the time.

I've no worries with Garrison. He's young, he's back home and he's playing for his chilhood dream team. Dude will get with the program.

Go Canucks!

Personally, I think the main reason the Canucks got Garrison was because they couldn't get anybody else, and felt that they needed to pick up someone to replace Salo. They also most likely assumed that somebody could transition over to the right-hand side. As we can see, this hasn't worked. MG won't buy out Garrison unless absolutely necessary - he wants us to be a viable location for UFA's, and buying out players is not a good idea. That being said, something needs to be done that gives us a steady partner for Edler - as much as I hate to suggest it, we may have to break up the Ballard-Tanev pairing. Perhaps it would be best if we tried this:

Hamhuis-Bieksa (tried and true, this pairing will work well)

Edler-Tanev (However bad Tanev may be in the offensive zone at getting goals, it doesn't matter if Edler can't get out of the defensive zone)

Garrison-Ballard (In Florida, Garrison had a smooth-skating, left-handed defenseman playing on his right side. This pairing is hit-and-miss - it's either work or it won't - but at least it might send Garrison a wake-up call to get his act together)

Hes an all star defenseman who, in my opinion, is overrated. Inconsistently excels at his offensive game and can hit like a train when he wants to. But has shown in last couple years he can be a defensive liability.

I think Ballard is finally turning in to the Dman Mike Gillis traded for, and can very easily fill his spot, Tanev is also showing he can play a solid role in this league.

If we packaged Edler with one of our goalies. Think of the return..

Hes an all star defenseman who, in my opinion, is overrated. Inconsistently excels at his offensive game and can hit like a train when he wants to. But has shown in last couple years he can be a defensive liability.

I think Ballard is finally turning in to the Dman Mike Gillis traded for, and can very easily fill his spot, Tanev is also showing he can play a solid role in this league.

If we packaged Edler with one of our goalies. Think of the return..

Edler simply needs consistency, and to stay on the left side.

Edler can play extremely good defense when he wants. Same with offense. Same with a physical game.

The only problem is that he usually only does one at a time unless it's the first game of the play-offs. Edler simply doesn't care. He sits around with his thumb up his butt because he doesn't care.

We need to be trying to get the most out of Edler. He's a potential Norris-trophy candidate so give him preference - play him where he's most comfortable and that's obviously the left side. He's been with Hamhuis quite a bit lately who seems comfortable on either side which is good for Edler if he's on the left.

got to give him more time to adjust, its going to take 2-3 months to get used to playing the right side if not more. It is a big adjustment for his pivots, angling and board play. I agree its frustrating at times but he has played decent just not up to his normal level.

This shift to the right is not a short sighted decision this is a long-term plan with the four of them ham/juice/garrison/edler all locked up long term.

Its sweet and sour having Tanev and Bally playing so well together.

Tanev as a rightie would probably a compliment to Edler.

Edler misses Salo, i always thought they worked well together.

But really, he has made some blunders, and they are so spectacular.

But he has also made far more excellent plays than not.

I think he is still laboured or injured from surgery. It will be a matter of time where he will be lights out and be consistent.

Its sweet and sour having Tanev and Bally playing so well together.

Tanev as a rightie would probably a compliment to Edler.

Edler misses Salo, i always thought they worked well together.

But really, he has made some blunders, and they are so spectacular.

But he has also made far more excellent plays than not.

I think he is still laboured or injured from surgery. It will be a matter of time where he will be lights out and be consistent.

why not try him on the right side and see what happens...what do u haft to lose

see this is what puzzles me....they know edler plays better on his left side so they went out and signed another left side defenseman for big money when you already have hammer, edler, ballard and alberts who already occupy the left side :blink: and they let gragnani walk because they didnt like his style of play well for god sakes u have pro scouts to tell this stuff DO YOUR GOD DAMN HOMEWORK!!!!!!!!!

garrison is playing well but how can u criticize him that he isnt putting up points if he isnt being a chance to play pp minutes...your anger is misdirected, aim it at the coaching staff

Edler at 5m to any other team is already a gorgeous deal. That goes for most of our core players which took less to sign here. Edler is still a 50 point D-man, easily the offensive leader on our D. I can't see us dealing him, but I will entertain your proposal and say we could probably get a top prospect, a top 3 forward, and a decent d-man back.

It appears some coaches obviously don't believe in a player having a "natural" side. After all we damn near ruined Ballard playing him out of position. You would think a lesson would have been learned there.

By the way anyone else noticing Alexander Sulzer (6'-2 and 207lbs) our "makeweight" to the Sabres when we took Kass and Gragnani is looking not too shoddy.

Archived