The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Impatient Fans"

tibowtime

In general, the impatience comes from a lack of public understanding of professional/world-class level competition. These types of fans live everywhere else, but it is magnified in the Canadian cities, especially in the cities where they have a contender.

Add to that the fact that Canadian teams are always going to get the crap end of the stick from the refs/league, whether it's Vancouver, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg. I'm sure that people will accept this once we've reached 30+ seasons of bettman, and the statistics show the bias. :)

Those who suggest to blow up the team every time we lose because they had waited for 42 years are, unfortunately, impatient and idiotic.

Lets change our coach every year because there is no cup for 40 years! Wait, let's chase out our franchise goalie while we are at it. The sisters? Burrows do we need him? Kesler and his face in interview? Garrsion's cat is bothering his neighbor? Kassian and his missing teeth makes you have nightmares?

Believe it or not, those are the things those fans suggest to change because they think it would make the team better so we will win a cup in the near future.

Those who suggest to blow up the team every time we lose because they had waited for 42 years are, unfortunately, impatient and idiotic.

Lets change our coach every year because there is no cup for 40 years! Wait, let's chase out our franchise goalie while we are at it. The sisters? Burrows do we need him? Kesler and his face in interview? Garrsion's cat is bothering his neighbor? Kassian and his missing teeth makes you have nightmares?

Believe it or not, those are the things those fans suggest to change because they think it would make the team better so we will win a cup in the near future.

OP has a point. Part of the hate directed toward Vancouver is undeniably because of a minority of fickle fans that change with the wind and vocalize too much. They are annoying and usually ignorant, but they stick out because they're loud. It's always the few that give a bad name to the many.

Some food for thought:

Fools vent their anger, but the wise quietly hold it back.

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.

He who belittles another lacks good sense, whereas a person of discernment stays silent.

A little less foolishness and a little more class can go a long way, CDCers.

Well my bro and I have been following from the very early years. I took in my first game in 1975 after a long road trip and watched my favs Boudrias, Lever and this young D guy named Snepsts. I was in the post season stands in 82 and again in 94. Like anything there are ups 82, 94, 10,11... and downs 97 - 00 (the messed up years). I am not impatient with the team. Just the dumbasses calling themselves fans and the media. It is simple really... you're either a canuck or something else...! The team is exciting enjoy it.

I love this topic, great work OP you are stating my feelings this entire day. I have been on the forums and just seeing some of these topics and posts. They are all so negative and depressing. Go outside, ride a bike, take a walk, find a girl, please stop fixating on all the things wrong with the Canucks and focus on the things right for a change. If you cannot do that... you have mental issues more pressing that you should be working on.

Most of the impatient fans are the ones that started cheering for the Canucks during the SCF run because anyone that has followed this team for a decade or 2 or 4 has to be patient, or they would have died a long time ago.

I just want to be entertained

give me an effort so I can happily watch with beer and Doritos.

OP, I would agree with you the losing 1 or few games and then jumping on the players or management calling out for changes, player moves, etc is being impatient. There's a reason the game is played on the ice, and not on some stat sheet or highest payroll (remember when NY continuously tried to buy a cup and didnt acheive the expectation) or roster on paper. It's the human performance factor that provides the competition and that for me, is what makes the team fun and exciting to watch, and to continue to support. Sometimes it seems there is an entitlement belief from some of the fan base...but that's just my 2 cents only and could be off base.

I don't know, I used to dream of a Canucks' Stanley Cup and how awesome that would be, but after 2011, I just felt dejected and bitter.

Everything seemed to come together until the Finals. Then things started to go south. After Game 5, I thought "Only have to win 1 of the next 2 games and the Canucks will have a Stanley Cup!!"

Then came 2 of the most disappointing playoff games I have ever seen.

I could stomach 1994. It was close. The Canucks were in it, right to the end. Sure they weren't favourites, but Linden left it all on the ice, despite being really banged up.

But this last one hit me hard. The Canucks wilted like dead flowers, Lou couldn't make the big save, and the Twins were being beat up like schoolyard geeks. I know they had injuries. I know they were tired. It was still disappointing to see them bow out like that.

I am no longer impatient. I continue to watch the Canucks each game and I will always be a supportive fan. As long as they play hard and try to win each game, I will be happy. However, I am not holding my breath on a championship anytime soon. If they couldn't win with the lineup they had two years ago being the odds on favourite, the chance of them getting it done this year or anytime in the near future seems doubtful at best. My advice: Enjoy the games, enjoy the action, but don't take it too seriously. After all, it's just a game.

Been a fan for 40+ years,not much to cheer about for this franchise but I,m still here and will remain here cheering for our team.Hopefully I,ll get to see our boys hoist the cup before I die.As far as patience I think I have been pretty patient stopped being impatient long time ago.

GO CANUCKS!!!

The impatience come from the same old mistakes and the lack inept of coaching abilities . No innovation and lack of direction on the ice ect. ect. ect. When the team with the right coaching could be dominating, explosive and an exciting third period team to watch. Instead their left frustrated playing an exposed system.

Archived