The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Freedom of speech

J.I.A.H.N

Today, I noticed a topic which was locked, after having numerous replies to it. Some of the replies addmittedly were sarcastic, but the topic was legit.

Now, I do not mind Moderators merging Topics together for the benifit of conformity and maintaining some control, as I would rather have that, then to lock a subject, therefore closing it to further comments, because they deem it to be not worthy. Who gives moderators that right?

Freedom of expression in Canada is guaranteed by section 2( of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms: 2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: ... ( freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

I do wish that Moderators, would get off their chairs, when insults, and bulling are done, and warn those people, who wish to continuelly do it, that they will be sanctioned. As a poster who has sunk to this level before, I usually realize after the fact, that despite being pulled into some of these silly, immature spats, by other posters, I am at fault also! For those I have insulted, I am sorry!

My opinion is that IF we have to have sensorship, then bring back the minus button, using it as a complaint button for real abuse, not for people disagreeing with the opinion.

Disagreements in opinion should be dealt with by respectful adult agruement/debate. Topics which have no merit will die by their own sword ( lack of response ).

I look forward to CDC's comments on this subject.......thank you for you time!

The job of moderating this forum is the job of the moderators. If they think a thread is redundant, lacks insight, or whatever else, it is their job to manage those threads to the best of their abilities. Some people (such as yourself) might not always agree with their decisions, but no one is perfect, they will sometimes lock threads when others wish they wouldn't, but this simple fact is IMO hardly worth crying over. I for one think the moderators do a good job of organizing this forum, or are we really sinking to a brand new low in CDC nation by complaining about them too?

Gees, one loss after a streak of six wins and this is what we get :P

I am all for bringing back the minus button tho, I always liked that function.

Today, I noticed a topic which was locked, after having numerous replies to it. Some of the replies addmittedly were sarcastic, but the topic was legit.

Now, I do not mind Moderators merging Topics together for the benifit of conformity and maintaining some control, as I would rather have that, then to lock a subject, therefore closing it to further comments, because they deem it to be not worthy. Who gives moderators that right?

Freedom of expression in Canada is guaranteed by section 2( of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms: 2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: ... ( freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

I do wish that Moderators, would get off their chairs, when insults, and bulling are done, and warn those people, who wish to continuelly do it, that they will be sanctioned. As a poster who has sunk to this level before, I usually realize after the fact, that despite being pulled into some of these silly, immature spats, by other posters, I am at fault also! For those I have insulted, I am sorry!

My opinion is that IF we have to have sensorship, then bring back the minus button, using it as a complaint button for real abuse, not for people disagreeing with the opinion.

Disagreements in opinion should be dealt with by respectful adult agruement/debate. Topics which have no merit will die by their own sword ( lack of response ).

I look forward to CDC's comments on this subject.......thank you for you time!

LOL.................Yes I do have days like this...................but the point remains, that some people on here get free reign to bully and insult, while a Topic may be locked because, I don't know why......if the topic is that bad, then pull it.....but most shouldn't be......look, I have posted things that bug me and a poster puts their point across and I have changed my mind.....but the point remains that that exchange has to happen to inform both sides. I have read great debate on here, which has brought me back to get more, there are many posters of all ages that have great points, but if they get shot down by insults etc, are shy to reply a second time.

What I admire much, much more are the CDC that take the time to explain their points, and will yeild to good points, instead I see some that go for the jugular and call other posters Trolls.....it isn't their job! That is what a moderator should do. Regulate those posters, but they don't. Like I said earlier, I have no problem with merging a topic, or letting a topic like this one die it's death.

Most new threads are redundant, so just do yourself a favour and find the existing thread that applies to whatever you have to say.

On the rare occasion that you might have some news or an idea for a thread that you think others might like, then by all means make it.

Otherwise, Stop pretending that what you have to say hasn't already been said countless times.

'Freedom of speech' doesn't even apply here.

Most new threads are redundant, so just do yourself a favour and find the existing thread that applies to whatever you have to say.

On the rare occasion that you might have some news or an idea for a thread that you think others might like, then by all means make it.

Otherwise, Stop pretending that what you have to say hasn't already been said countless times.

'Freedom of speech' doesn't even apply here.

Freedom of expression does not really apply here as this message board is affiliated with the Vancouver Canucks and is part of the NHL Network. As such, it is not a publicly run message board. We try to let people express their opinions as much as possible, but there are of course limits to that, for the benefit of everyone here. If you feel a topic should be re-opened send the mod that closed it a PM. We are always open to making that change if necessary.

As for how we are assigned to our positions, usually any new moderators are assigned based on a consesus among the current moderators. However, in my case I was actually assigned by the website admin and SN.

All moderators are actively moderating the forums, however we do get very few reports considering the size of this forum. If you wish to ensure intervention, or at the very least have a user or their posts investigated, use the report function. That or send a PM to a moderator if necessary.

This has been discussed many times over. It is not likely ever coming back in any form. It was mostly abused and just a popularity contest.

Having been here many years now, ideally that would be great, but it's just not the case. Even with blatant troll or spam threads users respond and the thread gets bumped up over and over.

As for the reason this thread is being locked:

If you have an issue with a moderator's actions, need clarification on a moderator's decision, or want to make a suggestion to the moderating team, you are welcome to. However, this should only be done by PMing a mod, and not by making publicly viewable threads or posts. You are expected to always treat the moderators with respect, even when expressing a disagreement.

In the future I would ask that you please use the Feedback Thread or send a PM to a moderator.(/forum/26-feedback-guides-%26-support/">http://forum.canucks...ides-&-support/)

Archived