The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UK makes personal finance classes mandatory for kids

allkill326

Teaching personal finance is worthless for kids. Even adults being constantly bombarded by ads saying how you gotta save up for retirement and stuff falls on deaf ears.

We live in a world where consumption is the norm. You gotta get the next iPhone, the biggest TV, buy yourself the most expensive car you can and move to a part of town you can't really afford to reside at.... all while you slave away at a minimum wage job because you decided to get a Masters in Basket Weaving. No amount of financial planning can prevent idiocy.

okay ladies and gentlemen. Here's an everyday question for you.

Suppose you went to a store and the item was $100.00 plus taxes. (12 %)

You wanted a better deal so you asked the clerk to sell it to you for $100.00 all in.

The clerk was honest and charged you tax and would sell you the item for $100.00 tax in.

What was the discount that the clerk applied to your sale before tax?

This can only be a good thing.

I'm nearly half way through tenth grade and not once have we learned anything to do with finances.

I hold a part time job like most kids my age, yet I had to take my own initiative to learn what to do with my money.

It's a good idea. My 8th grade teacher taught us basic budgeting and loan/mortgage interest calculation as parts of his Math course. It never made it to an exam, but I think it was brilliant that he took time away from the curriculum to do it. It doesn't have to be a dedicated course, but getting things like Consumer & Employment Rights as a part of Social Studies, a 2 week subject or something, and get Personal Finance, Loan Calculation, so forth, and teach teens the value of debt and the repayment pyramid. It's basically the most practical application of mathematics that your average person will ever do.

This is a great idea. After having to change my bank account after I turned 19, I was exposed to all these random financial terms that I had no clue about. It kind of made me frustrated how I was never taught such things in high school.

After some (and by some, I mean, a minuscule amount) self-teaching I've set up a TFSA and put a small sum of money into mutual funds just to get the ball rolling. Now that I take a step back and look, it's really disappointing to see myself at the age of 19 having trouble trying to figure out basic personal financing.

I don't think teaching will make any difference. It's a societal problem, which needs to be fixed via parenting, personal experience, etc.

For example, sex ed has been around forever, yet I'm still amazed on how stupid kids and adults are regarding sex. "No.... you can't get STD from oral sex!", "I don't need condoms, I'll just pull out!", "Oh... that's sex ed? We had it for 5+ years? Nope, I remember nothing!"

Telling folks to spend less and save more will probably have equal effect.

You wanted a better deal so you asked the clerk to sell it to you for $100.00 all in.

The clerk was honest and charged you tax and would sell you the item for $100.00 tax in.

I don't think teaching will make any difference. It's a societal problem, which needs to be fixed via parenting, personal experience, etc.

For example, sex ed has been around forever, yet I'm still amazed on how stupid kids and adults are regarding sex. "No.... you can't get STD from oral sex!", "I don't need condoms, I'll just pull out!", "Oh... that's sex ed? We had it for 5+ years? Nope, I remember nothing!"

Telling folks to spend less and save more will probably have equal effect.

This is a great idea. After having to change my bank account after I turned 19, I was exposed to all these random financial terms that I had no clue about. It kind of made me frustrated how I was never taught such things in high school.

After some (and by some, I mean, a minuscule amount) self-teaching I've set up a TFSA and put a small sum of money into mutual funds just to get the ball rolling. Now that I take a step back and look, it's really disappointing to see myself at the age of 19 having trouble trying to figure out basic personal financing.

Really something parents should be teaching their kids about but as we can't rely on parents to actually parent these days, may as well teach it in school.

That said, just because we teach it doesn't mean the kids will actually listen and/or implement that knowledge.

Really something parents should be teaching their kids about but as we can't rely on parents to actually parent these days, may as well teach it in school.

That said, just because we teach it doesn't mean the kids will actually listen and/or implement that knowledge.

A 10.72% discount would bring the before tax price to $89.28 + 12% tax = $99.9936

Archived