The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Other Leagues in Vancouver

CanuckofSteel

My buddy and I were recently talking about another team from another league in Vancouver. He argued that Vancouver would not be able to sustain a MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, and CFL team all at once. I said that with the mass amounts of people who go into Vancouver from around BC and from across the border that Vancouver may be able to handle teams from all those leagues. We also talked about a possible NFL team in Vancouver, we agreed that we have a suitable arena, but don't know how well Vancouver would embrace a NFL team.

I believe that Vancouver can easily handle NHL, NBA, and MLB teams. The NHL and NBA season take place at approximately the same time and with the MLB season being in the summer mostly, we could also take them on. I also argued that an MLB team would benefit both the Whitecaps and Lions. Since many Baseball games are played during the afternoon, many people may decide to take in a Whitecaps or Lions game in the evening.

Not to mention this would take pressure off the Canucks players and it would be distributed among the different teams that we would have. This may also impact Canucks ticket prices, it may for once cause a decrease because of how competitive the sports market in Vancouver would be.

What do people on here think?

Would you be willing to take on a NBA, MLB, and possibly a NFL team?

Which do you want the most?

Leave a response, I am just wondering how people would feel about this.

Can't post a poll because I am on mobile.

NBA, I can understand being successful. It's been here before. People want it back. The market is strong for an NBA presence. But the MLB shows that Canada can't handle the MLB yet. Toronto is doing fine, but they have mediocre attendance. Besides, we've got Seattle to attend baseball games and I doubt the MLB would last a decade here..

The NFL would be an intriguing one. I believe we can sustain an NFL team here. Hell, who wouldn't want to see the likes of Drew Brees or Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers play in Canada in Vancouver? Lots of people would pay money to see one NFL game in Vancouver, yet alone, one superstar from an NFL team to play here. I do believe an NFL presence here will be able to sustain and thrive. However, MLB is lacking and with the minimal support we have for the Vancouver Canadians and countless Vancouverites being Mariners fans themselves, I doubt the MLB would be able to have a successful franchise here.

And yes I understand that Toronto won the World Series twice in a row, but you've got to understand the logistics and population surrounding the area. The GTA is far more populated than the Lower Mainland combined. Thus, allowing Toronto to have a great following for the MLB. Big towns like Brampton, Niagara, London, Kitchener, and hell, even as far as the city of Ottawa, there are people within the GTA that will make the hour or two drive taking the 401 or 407 into the city to watch some Blue Jays baseball. Compare that to here in Vancouver, our area is barely half of what the GTA is. I doubt people are willing to come from Abbotsford or Kelowna to watch a baseball game.

Why are both of you posters saying the the MLB won't work?

BC has a lot of talented baseball players who are have joined the big league, there is a huge presence of baseball outside of Vancouver, and I actually believe that people from the the valley will go. In Abbotsford, baseball is pretty big among young children. There are a lot of teams here with many of the youth involved in baseball. I personally know a lot of people who have played baseball and have a interest in baseball.

Also, when the big teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, Giants, Cardinals, and Tigers come through I can see the stadium being filled with people. It provides a good alternative on those boring summer days.

But why do many people believe it will not work?

Why are both of you posters saying the the MLB won't work?

BC has a lot of talented baseball players who are have joined the big league, there is a huge presence of baseball outside of Vancouver, and I actually believe that people from the the valley will go. In Abbotsford, baseball is pretty big among young children. There are a lot of teams here with many of the youth involved in baseball. I personally know a lot of people who have played baseball and have a interest in baseball.

Also, when the big teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, Giants, Cardinals, and Tigers come through I can see the stadium being filled with people. It provides a good alternative on those boring summer days.

But why do many people believe it will not work?

I dont see the MLB coming to van. i dont think there will be enough support here to sustain a franchise, though i would love to have one . I also think the MLB has a problem with stadiums that arent used only for baseball. some wealthy businessman will have to invest in a new MLB arena and gamble that the people will actually go out to watch the games.

NFL would be awesome but we got the CFL, and they wont be happy with the NFL coming in a stealing their thunder. having an NFL promotional game once a year would be a better idea. seahawks vs broncos or something in BC place would be fun.

NBA would most definitely be supported here. there are a lot of NBA fans that are wishing for a NBA team to come back, personally i hate basketball but it would be supported here for sure.

unless Vancouver doubles in population over the next couple years i think the only teams we could sustain are the NHL, MLS, CFL and NBA. and honestly that is a lot of teams, more than a lot of huge cities.

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of MLB, I reckon we might see a series between the Mariners and the Jays in BC Place at some point in the not too distant future. Support for the Canadians ain't great, that's true, but would you drive from Abbotsford to see some Carribean kids who are never going to amount to much? I mean, check out the difference in support between now and when they were AAA.

Realistically, we'd need to move up in the minors first too. Prove we can support it. I for one, would love the Vancouver Canadians to play in the bigs. Though trying to sell out 81 games a year is just not going to happen.

NFL is never going to happen, even if we could support it. Could we sell half a million tickets a year for the regular season? Yes.

Not a basketball fan, but I think it's the most likely.

Its a huge sport here in the lower mainland, every city has a program of some sort and some of the best players in the league are from vancouver and the surrounding areas. Logan Schuss for instance, will likely be a top 3 pick in the NLL draft and he's from Delta

Also, Toronto, Calgary and Edmonton all have teams that draw well, typically 8k+

• 4 weeks later...

Baseball was scrapped for the reason is that because no one shows up to watch those games at the olyimpics. Outside of the few countries that play baseball, Baseball is not a very popular sport at all.

I think the City can take NBA easily and Lacrose. Only if the Lacrose team is owned by the Aquillini's otherwise, it can last if it's played out of the PNE pacific colleseum.

Not sure about the the NFL. Lions get up to 28000 fans per game on average however, those tickets are much cheaper. NFL have high price played, and not sure if the Average lowermainder are willing to fork out Canucks priced tickets to watch football.

Archived