The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mason Raymond Appreciation

CanKnucklehead89

I just wanted to express how great it is to see Raymond playing well again. I was one of the legion of fans calling for him to be traded or benched or anything really to keep him off the ice but but he's playing great and it's wonderful to see the confidence that he's playing with and the fun that he seems to be having. He seems like a good guy and a really hard worker so I'm happy that things seem to have turned around for him and he's been able to overcome that horrible injury.

I just wanted to express how great it is to see Raymond playing well again. I was one of the legion of fans calling for him to be traded or benched or anything really to keep him off the ice but but he's playing great and it's wonderful to see the confidence that he's playing with and the fun that he seems to be having. He seems like a good guy and a really hard worker so I'm happy that things seem to have turned around for him and he's been able to overcome that horrible injury.

I just think people pick a guy they want to hate and start looking fr anything they can find to confirm what they already believe.

In another thread, I saw someone posted a comment about him "looking more like a Hollywood actor than a hockey player".

Seriously. That was the argument. I mean, he can't help it that he's extremely handsome.

I mean, I think he purposely got hit in the face with a puck to make it fair for the other players, but it ended up making him even more handsome . . .

But seriously, what more does a player have to do to be appreciated? He's recovered from a spinal injury that could have ended his career. He's expanded his "perimeter game" to include the perimeter of the blue ice. He's been playing fantastic this season and there is no reason to think that won't translate to the playoffs.

I just think people pick a guy they want to hate and start looking fr anything they can find to confirm what they already believe.

In another thread, I saw someone posted a comment about him "looking more like a Hollywood actor than a hockey player".

Seriously. That was the argument. I mean, he can't help it that he's extremely handsome.

I mean, I think he purposely got hit in the face with a puck to make it fair for the other players, but it ended up making him even more handsome . . .

But seriously, what more does a player have to do to be appreciated? He's recovered from a spinal injury that could have ended his career. He's expanded his "perimeter game" to include the perimeter of the blue ice. He's been playing fantastic this season and there is no reason to think that won't translate to the playoffs.

I was one of the few people defending him when every night their would be a thread calling for him to be axed. I'm really happy he's playing well again, because his potential is huge. The back injury hasn't phased him it seems. Favorite player on the Canucks for sure

Haha I don't even think I would do Raymond, Ballard and a 1st for Ovechkin. Ovy and MayRay have the same number of goals, and Ovi carries a 9.5 million dollar cap hit.

Since being pairing with Schroeder Raymond has played much better (9 points in 12 games?). He has 6 points in his last 6 games and has points in 5 of his last 6, showing he putting up consistent points as well.

Firstly, he now appears to be fit. The long layoff, while not putting that 5-10lbs on I would have liked, has had the desired effect in fitness terms.

Secondly, a word here for Schroeder. (a player who I thought was not ready)

He is tailor made for Raymond (as is Hansen) because Schroeder in particular knows how to pass and pass accurately. More importantly WHEN to pass. Effective transition is all about changing the angle and focal point of attack. (something Booth has yet to learn) Schroeder played the very same way with Billy Sweatt, another speedster if anyone watched them together in Chicago.

This is why I would keep these 3 together. Unlike last year's 2nd line they compliment each other and by doing so appear to be far more effective.

Let Kesler and Booth sort themselves out. I reckon if they don't Booth is going to either drop down the lines or will be traded. We can't afford a 2nd line of 3 individuals, it makes it too easy for the opposition.

PS

Just a note on Billy Sweatt. I watch all the Chicago games on ESPN America and he, Gordon, Climie and Conn are really putting it together just now.

Sweatt has developed a tougher edge to his game and is becoming a real thorn in the side of AHL defence men. I don't think he is far away from another trip up to Vancouver..........maybe next season when I'm sure he will be more ready to grab his chance.

Archived