The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ontario Soccer Association loses its mind

canuckbeliever

http://www.thestar.c..._standings.html

Seriously wtf. Do these people not think kids will keep score in there head? Most kids are competitive, and the soccer association needs to deal with it. That competitive drive is what makes them better and thats what produces future athletes for this great nation. Just another attempt by a bunch of moron parents who clearly do not know what the heck they are doing. These individuals think they are doing the world a favor by trying to eliminate competition, well guess what? Reality is competition works on so many levels and leads so many individuals to be better than they otherwise would be. It leads most of us to be better and for these people to try to eliminate that with kids is shortsighted and dumb.

Somewhere a bunch of tree hugging hippies are celebrating with an impromptu drum circle.

In other cultures there are rights of passage. You have to kill a Gazelle or tie a rope to your leg and jump off a high tree or get a huge, extremely painful tattoo to become a man or woman. In western civilization, not only is this lacking, but parents do everything they can to shelter their children from the reality that the world is a hard place to be in.

I think people who take goals away from sport ought to stay as far away from it as is physically possible, as they have no understanding of what sport is; a macrocosm of real life.

This is part of the reason why Canadian soccer is such a joke compared to all other countries in the world.

http://www.thestar.c..._standings.html

Seriously wtf. Do these people not think kids will keep score in there head? Most kids are competitive, and the soccer association needs to deal with it. That competitive drive is what makes them better and thats what produces future athletes for this great nation. Just another attempt by a bunch of moron parents who clearly do not know what the heck they are doing. These individuals think they are doing the world a favor by trying to eliminate competition, well guess what? Reality is competition works on so many levels and leads so many individuals to be better than they otherwise would be. It leads most of us to be better and for these people to try to eliminate that with kids is shortsighted and dumb.

This is part of the reason that I resigned my position coaching a traveling team here in Dawson Creek. Our soccer association has been doing this for 5 or 6 years. Total joke.

I see this in teaching, as well. We pass our students through to the next grade regardless of whether they meet the outcomes as set by the Province of BC. Our Board feels it's more important for kids to be with their peers than for them to meet minimal standards in academics. Our district doesn't fail kids until Grade 10 when they have had 10 years of schooling that really doesn't matter to them. Many kids don't care because they know they go on to the next level no matter what. We're setting this generation up to fail, big time!

We learn by failing and making mistakes and losing. This generation of bubble wrap kids is in for a really big lesson!

It is a little oxymoronic to have a Competitive league and not keep score. I doubt there are enough u-10 girls in Victoria to play competetive soccer, but the point of non-competetive league is to get kids active, and I support that. Yesterday my team of u-9 girls played a superfun parent/kids game because we had a bye in the schedule. No one kept score in that game either. In our league we do not keep score, but yes the girls know the score and whether we are winning or not. But our league is pretty uneven in skill, size, coaching ablility and desire. One team don't win and one probably won't lose all season and sometimes the scores get really out of hand, there is no need to keep track of the score or to award prizes. For me a successful season is one where most af the girls sign up next year and the parents ask me to return as coach.

I think this is more about changing the attitudes of coaches and parents than it is about making kids "feel good". Too many coaches and parents have a "win at all costs" attitude, even for young kids playing in house leagues. When I was younger I was a referee, and even when reffing 9 year olds I had to deal with crazy parents and coaches.

From the article:

You guys really need to read the article before you skip ahead to judgement. Try being objective. Research supports this approach. It is done in Germany, the Netherlands, and England.

Canada has been taking this competition-first approach for years, and it has lead to a total of 1 world cup appearance, where we got blown off of the world stage.

I'm skeptical as well, but you cannot ignore the research just because it does not coincide with your opinion. If you believe that a child's ability to learn how to function as an adult in a competitive job market hinges on the score of a soccer game you really need to re-think how you weight certain life events.

This approach will at least teach children that, just because you win, does not mean you are successful. In Canada, teams will always win and lose; yet, our soccer players are still poor. This will at least teach children that winning doesn't make them winners. They need to develop skill, and with that winning on a larger stage will come.

Do you really think kids will stop competing just because score isn't officially recorded. Kids will still know whether they won or not, but at least the emphasis now becomes getting better.

I think this is more about changing the attitudes of coaches and parents than it is about making kids "feel good". Too many coaches and parents have a "win at all costs" attitude, even for young kids playing in house leagues. When I was younger I was a referee, and even when reffing 9 year olds I had to deal with crazy parents and coaches.

No surprises this is coming from a soccer organization.

Seriously though, we live in the 'Every child is a perfect, special snowflake' generation. The one where everyone gets a trophy and effort is the only thing that counts. These kids are in for a rude awakening when they grow up.

Archived