The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ontario Soccer Association loses its mind

canuckbeliever

What a joke and an insult to the kids. They can handle it. Yeah losing sucks and some of them might get their "feelings hurt" but disappointment is part of life, especially in a competitive environment like sports. Sport are supposed to teach you lessons about how to handle both winning and losing.

At the lower levels, it isn't about winning or losing. I read in Soccernomics, Barcalona employs a system in there academy that players play all positions, and wins and losses are not that important. One game a player will play striker, then the next game midfeilder, then the next game defense. The point is learning the game, the tactics, skills so that when they are older, they can use them to dominate. And IT WORKS. Barca is the best in the world, with a bunch of academy players playing for them. Messi has been with the club since he was 13.

At the lower levels, it isn't about winning or losing. I read in Soccernomics, Barcalona employs a system in there academy that players play all positions, and wins and losses are not that important. One game a player will play striker, then the next game midfeilder, then the next game defense. The point is learning the game, the tactics, skills so that when they are older, they can use them to dominate. And IT WORKS. Barca is the best in the world, with a bunch of academy players playing for them. Messi has been with the club since he was 13.

Timbits isn't exactly a hockey development program, it's just for fun. Just because Crosby played Timbits when he was maybe 3 or 4 years old, just starting out on the basics of the game, doesn't mean it's a good development program. In fact it's not even a development program, it's just meant to have fun while teaching kids the basic skills of the game. Remember this guy gave his first newspaper interview at 7, so by that time he was already likely playing competitive hockey. You can't say that Timbits hockey is what turned Crosby into world's best hockey player.

I played soccer from 5 to 16 in Victoria. We visited Bremen Germany when I was 12 and I played with some of the kids on the block in the field at the end of the street. This wasnt a team or league play, just a group of kids.Their skill level was far beyond mine. The youngest of them was maybe 7 or 8 and he was way better than me. Those kids get good very fast over there.

They werent keeping score.

Freaking coddling. I want to put my kids in organized sports when they're old enough but not like this. .

There's a happy medium between no score and everybody getting "participaction" ribbons :sick: and ultra competitive "stomp on their throats mentality" with screaming parents. It's a shame that we can't seem to find it.

Not taking away what TimBits does for kids, but how many people like Sid developed as a result of TimBits?

Just because Sid went through there doesn't mean that all players that go through there can be like Sid.

We'll have to see in a few years whether this actually works. In my honest opinion, I really don't think it will change squat.

This model is in place but it's not going to magically turn around Canada's fortunes on the world stage for hockey.

Let's take hockey for example - Denmark is surprisingly weak at hockey - if kids were to not play with the score, could they become like Sweden?

In fact, this example will expose how silly this model is.

Freaking coddling. I want to put my kids in organized sports when they're old enough but not like this. .

There's a happy medium between no score and everybody getting "participaction" ribbons :sick: and ultra competitive "stomp on their throats mentality" with screaming parents. It's a shame that we can't seem to find it.

Unfortunately, if there's any way to put someone's kid ahead of the others then some maniac parent is going to be thinking their kids very survival requires them to be ahead of the others.

My sister coaches five and six year old girls playing RINGETTE and if you think that a benign atmosphere like that is immune from psychopathic parents then you underestimate the problems the young generation faces. The fault of which of course is not theirs (the kids) at all.

Remember folks, if the kids turn out as snot nosed lazy entitled brats it's YOUR FAULT it happened.

Archived