42 replies to this topic

#31 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,067 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Timbits isn't exactly a hockey development program, it's just for fun. Just because Crosby played Timbits when he was maybe 3 or 4 years old, just starting out on the basics of the game, doesn't mean it's a good development program. In fact it's not even a development program, it's just meant to have fun while teaching kids the basic skills of the game. Remember this guy gave his first newspaper interview at 7, so by that time he was already likely playing competitive hockey. You can't say that Timbits hockey is what turned Crosby into world's best hockey player.

That's exactly the point, to develop a love for playing the game for FUN! That's as "developmental" as it's going to get at that age.

#32 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

well I just looked up timbiits Atom 4 v4 ... no score clock etc
and as you recall Sid came through that program, sooo I guess it must be a terrible idea

Not taking away what TimBits does for kids, but how many people like Sid developed as a result of TimBits?

Just because Sid went through there doesn't mean that all players that go through there can be like Sid.

We'll have to see in a few years whether this actually works. In my honest opinion, I really don't think it will change squat.

This model is in place but it's not going to magically turn around Canada's fortunes on the world stage for hockey.

Let's take hockey for example - Denmark is surprisingly weak at hockey - if kids were to not play with the score, could they become like Sweden?

In fact, this example will expose how silly this model is.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#33 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

I played soccer from 5 to 16 in Victoria. We visited Bremen Germany when I was 12 and I played with some of the kids on the block in the field at the end of the street. This wasnt a team or league play, just a group of kids.Their skill level was far beyond mine. The youngest of them was maybe 7 or 8 and he was way better than me. Those kids get good very fast over there.

They werent keeping score.

Posted Image

#34 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Canadians just aren't good as soccer.
It's in our genes to play real sports like hockey or lacrosse.
Posted Image

#35 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,071 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

Canadians just aren't good as soccer.
It's in our genes to play real sports like hockey or lacrosse.

And complaining.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#36 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

That's exactly the point, to develop a love for playing the game for FUN! That's as "developmental" as it's going to get at that age.

But there's a difference between Timbits hockey (meant to be an initiation to hockey for very young kids) and a competitive soccer association for older kids, which is what this is.

#37 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 16,405 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

Freaking coddling. I want to put my kids in organized sports when they're old enough but not like this. .

There's a happy medium between no score and everybody getting "participaction" ribbons :sick: and ultra competitive "stomp on their throats mentality" with screaming parents. It's a shame that we can't seem to find it.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#38 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

Not taking away what TimBits does for kids, but how many people like Sid developed as a result of TimBits?

Just because Sid went through there doesn't mean that all players that go through there can be like Sid.

We'll have to see in a few years whether this actually works. In my honest opinion, I really don't think it will change squat.

This model is in place but it's not going to magically turn around Canada's fortunes on the world stage for hockey.

Let's take hockey for example - Denmark is surprisingly weak at hockey - if kids were to not play with the score, could they become like Sweden?

In fact, this example will expose how silly this model is.

I would go with "more than if they didn't do this" because it just gets people into the game earlier.

That it can be done with a lower risk of maniac parents to try to encourage more people to go in all the better.

#39 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Freaking coddling. I want to put my kids in organized sports when they're old enough but not like this. .

There's a happy medium between no score and everybody getting "participaction" ribbons :sick: and ultra competitive "stomp on their throats mentality" with screaming parents. It's a shame that we can't seem to find it.

Unfortunately, if there's any way to put someone's kid ahead of the others then some maniac parent is going to be thinking their kids very survival requires them to be ahead of the others.

My sister coaches five and six year old girls playing RINGETTE and if you think that a benign atmosphere like that is immune from psychopathic parents then you underestimate the problems the young generation faces. The fault of which of course is not theirs (the kids) at all.

Remember folks, if the kids turn out as snot nosed lazy entitled brats it's YOUR FAULT it happened.

#40 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 16,405 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Unfortunately, if there's any way to put someone's kid ahead of the others then some maniac parent is going to be thinking their kids very survival requires them to be ahead of the others.

My sister coaches five and six year old girls playing RINGETTE and if you think that a benign atmosphere like that is immune from psychopathic parents then you underestimate the problems the young generation faces. The fault of which of course is not theirs (the kids) at all.

Remember folks, if the kids turn out as snot nosed lazy entitled brats it's YOUR FAULT it happened.

It's a sad commentary on society that that's true.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#41 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Why can't we teach our kids how to cope with losing? Failure is a very powerful motivator for change.

#42 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,067 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

well we're seeing a lot of examples of that mentality in this thread alone. The goal of youth sports is not to produce better athletes than other countries, it's to produce better people.

A good percentage of kids that play minor hockey, or soccer, go on to play that sport for the rest of their lives, because they love it. If a percentage of them go on to become high level amateur or professional athletes, then that's just gravy. Scores and winning or losing a hockey game when you're 12 doesn't matter a lick in the real world.

#43 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

I think this is more about changing the attitudes of coaches and parents than it is about making kids "feel good". Too many coaches and parents have a "win at all costs" attitude, even for young kids playing in house leagues. When I was younger I was a referee, and even when reffing 9 year olds I had to deal with crazy parents and coaches.

Ah I remember those days refereeing young kids. Did 1 year of that then started lining my own age (and older) and refereeing 1 year younger. After U18 I kept getting phone calls for a few years to come back and referee because they league wanted me.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.