The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team holes to fill at deadline...

Lui's Knob

We don't have holes, we have a work ethic / execution problem. And we're not alone either. Out of the thirty teams in the NHL, at least half could easily win the cup with some hard work and a little luck. The personnel on the ice matters so much less than the effort that is put in. If everyone plays the system, if everyone makes smart plays, if everyone plays on both ends of the ice then the team will win.

We didn't lose to Boston because they had better players, we didn't lose to LA for that reason either. We lost because their players played harder.

I firmly believe that relying on some miracle trade to fill some non-existent hole is a fantasy. We have what we need, everyone just needs to learn their role and execute it. If we stay reasonably healthy and one of our goalies plays reasonably well then we should win the cup. If we don't it won't be because we didn't fill a hole, it'll be because we were out worked by the other team(s).

We don't have holes, we have a work ethic / execution problem. And we're not alone either. Out of the thirty teams in the NHL, at least half could easily win the cup with some hard work and a little luck. The personnel on the ice matters so much less than the effort that is put in. If everyone plays the system, if everyone makes smart plays, if everyone plays on both ends of the ice then the team will win.

We didn't lose to Boston because they had better players, we didn't lose to LA for that reason either. We lost because their players played harder.

I firmly believe that relying on some miracle trade to fill some non-existent hole is a fantasy. We have what we need, everyone just needs to learn their role and execute it. If we stay reasonably healthy and one of our goalies plays reasonably well then we should win the cup. If we don't it won't be because we didn't fill a hole, it'll be because we were out worked by the other team(s).

I hope Schroeder is safe, after what happened with Hodgson last year who knows, lol this is just a joke. I think the canucks can use a third line winger so when booth returns we could have a fourth line of lapierre higgins and that winger we aquire, and this can allow us to roll consistent 4 lines per game in the playoffs.

80% true, but that D-core honestly needs a bit of leadership. It looks to me like because all of our D-men (except Tanev) are around the same level, there is no leader. There needs to be a sort of captain among them. As it is right now, they all are on the same level of the proverbial totem pole, and no one can call them out when they play bad.

There is also the obvious issue with our right-side on D. Edler is not going to execute this, to use your words. But we can't exactly go out and get one unless we lose a lefty... Hamhuis is staying, Garrison was just signed, Edler is our most skilled (but least consistent...), and Ballard is playing the best, and has been a good play-off guy overall. There really is no odd man out, and so we're left with what we have.

We may have to trade Edler or Garrison in the offseason for a Right side of equal caliber. At the moment, Ballard is a complete wild card. If he carries on, he wont be bought out. But will he stay, or will he be traded? Only time will tell.

Archived