The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team holes to fill at deadline...

Lui's Knob

Oi; Lou usually has his tick on the ice!

That was bad; like a missed defensive assignment as far as I'm concerned.

Cue Cory next game... :bigblush: (and a Lou trade).

edit; stick on the ice! :picard:

1. Who did you have in mind, Seabrook? Weber? Chara? LOL I wonder what deal could be had for those guys, GM MaGician should be able to get them for cheap

2. I'd like Talbot or someone who plays big. If Buffalo tanks, maybe Steve Ott? I've said it before and I'll say it again, Marcel Goc would also be sick to acquire.

4. Vancouver All-Stars. I like the sound of that. Btw where's #3?

EDIT: forgot Luongo's 5-hole in shootouts. Oshie found that entrance no problem.

I believe we have improved, and that we have:

1) Much More scoring depth (3+ lines scoring, 2+ defensive pairs)

2) Slightly more ability to snipe in goals (raymond and hansen so far)

3) Slightly more ability to score using transition hockey (sedins burrows)

but:

4) We need to continue working on being unpredictable in every facet of our game (still an issue, especially the Dmen coming out of our zone). We had improved it during the win streak, but for some reason we have become mentally lazy again during the past 2 games.

1. Who did you have in mind, Seabrook? Weber? Chara? LOL I wonder what deal could be had for those guys, GM MaGician should be able to get them for cheap

2. I'd like Talbot or someone who plays big. If Buffalo tanks, maybe Steve Ott? I've said it before and I'll say it again, Marcel Goc would also be sick to acquire.

4. Vancouver All-Stars. I like the sound of that. Btw where's #3?

EDIT: forgot Luongo's 5-hole in shootouts. Oshie found that entrance no problem.

Sure, he's a good coach. You don't make it to the NHL and last for as long as he has being a bad coach.

However, he's been exposed as lacking quick thinking. His general solution to a change of tactics by the other team is to continue playing the same way - even when the style of play has been shown to be flawed.

To be a great coach (which AV is not), you have to be able to change with the unfolding situation. If not for Burrows and his goaltenders - especially Luongo, who he can thank for his Jack Adams - he'd be back coaching in the AHL. Honestly, if I were Luongo, I'd be pretty pissed off at AV.

I love Burrows and Booth is ok but greedy.

I would trade Booth + Edler for a big kickass forward. Someone like Bobby Ryan

Move Ballard up to replace Edler and Vandermeer to replace Ballard, real value and pushback.

Team made for Playoffs. It is now established that the Twins need a decent minder in the playoffs. We have one in Kassian. He wouldn't have fight much just slap people like Marchand and Keith around when they take liberties.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Ryan - Kesler - Burrows

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Volpatti - Lapierre - Higgins

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Garrison

Vandermeer - Tanev

This would also help the cap.

Only Mike Babcock has won more playoff series as a coach since AV joined the Canucks prior to the 2006-07 season. I find that surprising, given that it takes only a simple adjustment in game style to beat his teams. And it also happens to be the case that of the four teams who have beat AV's Canucks in the playoffs, three of them were the eventual Stanley Cup champions, with Chicago in 2009 being the exception. That is to say, only elite teams have managed to beat AV.

I wouldn't disagree that Luongo contributed to AV's Jack Adams award in 2007. But if you want to also credit Lu for all the playoff victories, I wouldn't be the only person on the other side of this debate.

To repeat, I'll take objective data over subjective opinion. AV is a tremendously successful coach. If he was let go by the Canucks, I'm sure he'd find another NHL head coaching job very soon.

Archived