90 replies to this topic

#31 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

If everyone is playing to their best, and are healthy. All we need is some extra depth.Just to be safe

g3HKFnX.png

#32 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Sorry guys, one more thought.

One player I really want for this team is Vinny Prospal. Nobody ever talks about this guy but he's 38 years old and still a dependable scorer. He had 18 goals and 55 points and played all 82 games last year on a terrible Blue Jackets team. He's not necessarily known as a playoff guy but he's still a very skilled player who could play a depth role for the Canucks while also being equally as good an option for a top 6 scoring role.

Edited by NuxFan09, 17 February 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#33 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,326 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Sorry guys, one more thought.

One player I really want for this team is Vinny Prospal. Nobody ever talks about this guy but he's 38 years old and still a dependable scorer. He had 18 goals and 55 points and played all 82 games last year on a terrible Blue Jackets team. He's not necessarily known as a playoff guy but he's still a very skilled player who could play a depth role for the Canucks while also being equally as good an option for a top 6 scoring role.

We could use him as a depth player. I wouldn't give up more than a 6th for him though.

#34 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Schroeder has a 42.5 % average in the circle,plumbing the bottom face off % players in the entire league.

With Manny having been let go mgmt. should have some plan in place to replace the hole he leaves.

Jordan in the playoff circle come playoffs has to be improved for him to retain a 3C position.

http://www.nhl.com/i...ffPercentageAll

#35 canucktican

canucktican

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

I don't think we have any holes to fill. All roles are filled, esp. when Booth returns. When playoffs come our team's PP and PK will be much better and our guys will be rollin'. Go with what we got this year.

Agreed! As long as our top guys play to their potential I think we'll be good.

Edited by canucktican, 17 February 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#36 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

I don't think we have any holes to fill. All roles are filled, esp. when Booth returns. When playoffs come our team's PP and PK will be much better and our guys will be rollin'. Go with what we got this year.

Because our PP and PK are always so great in the playoffs when it counts?

I still think Booth has yet to be as good as 2011 Samuelsson.

Also, no current defenceman is as good for the PP as Ehrhoff was.

No reason to really think our PP and PK will suddenly get better than the 2011 version.

I would have welcomed (and still would) another legit top six talent for the second line. Free agent Jagr would have been nice, for example. Maybe we can pillage Washington at the deadline.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#37 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

I would say:

1. Upgrade on D (get a superstar shut down D-man who can put in points)
2. Upgrade a 4th line man (get a huge banger, does well on the faceoffs, and can score points)

4. Upgrade a 2nd line man (ie. Booth, Higgins or Kassian - to a superstar).

Pretty happy with the rest of the lineup. The only reason I mention the last point as a #4, is it's much less important than the first two, which would be a good addition. But even with no changes, we're looking pretty good. I just wish the D would get it together - they need a superstar-niedermayer type back there to lead the D-corps stability and invincibility (don't even really need his points, but that would be good).

#38 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,346 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

1) Good 3rd line winger (think the Brouwer, Paille type)

2) Depth center

I think that's it. Or if we can get Torres back for a depth player and a mid-late pick (4th-7th) we'd be set

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Schroeder - Raymond
Torres - Lapierre - Hansen

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 17 February 2013 - 05:11 PM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#39 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

I would say:

1. Upgrade on D (get a superstar shut down D-man who can put in points)
2. Upgrade a 4th line man (get a huge banger, does well on the faceoffs, and can score points)

4. Upgrade a 2nd line man (ie. Booth, Higgins or Kassian - to a superstar).

Pretty happy with the rest of the lineup. The only reason I mention the last point as a #4, is it's much less important than the first two, which would be a good addition. But even with no changes, we're looking pretty good. I just wish the D would get it together - they need a superstar-niedermayer type back there to lead the D-corps stability and invincibility (don't even really need his points, but that would be good).

I agree. Adding two superstars would improve the team. All we need is two superstars to replace a couple average players. Make it so.

EDIT: now that I think of it, I don't understand why the team isn't already full of superstars. Is Gillis lazy or dumb or something?

Edited by Mookie Wilson, 17 February 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#40 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

You can always use more blueline depth, Alberts is okay but if more than one D goes down we are down to Barker and then call-ups, which isn't enough for a long playoff run. Other than that I think we are okay. No need to give up a roster player, just add depth.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#41 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Two tough forwards to play on the fourth line in the Lapierre and Weise spots in time for a playoff run.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#42 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Volpatti-Konopka-Brown

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#43 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Two tough forwards to play on the fourth line in the Lapierre and Weise spots in time for a playoff run.

You want Lapierre to be replaced? He's a very solid fourth line centre.

#44 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

agreed. we need a couple more beasts.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#45 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

You want Lapierre to be replaced? He's a very solid fourth line centre.

yes he's solid but upgradable and could do without the yap and diving.
Guy is the main reason why this franchise is hated.
i would say this is the year Yappiere steps up without the clownshow or this is the last year.
Weise good depth guy, good heart, tries, fights, but also upgradable.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#46 Lulover88

Lulover88

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

I'll revise my post: I actually think the team could use a two way bottom 6 centre with size, regardless of Schroeder's performance. I have a feeling when the intensity notches up in the playoffs Schroeder might be converted to wing. Who knows?, maybe he becomes a fast scoring winger for the Kesler line.

I agree with you . we must not forget how intense and rough the playoffs are .. grit and size is hugely important .. a lot of talented players disappear when the going gets tough

#47 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

I think our special teams need a shake up. Our PP is 19th and our PK is 22nd.

Gillis was never able to cover for the losses of Ehrhoff (and now perhaps Salo)

#48 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

if possible please bring in an offensive defencemen. Maybe try to get Vishnovski out of Long Island or something.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#49 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

I agree. Adding two superstars would improve the team. All we need is two superstars to replace a couple average players. Make it so.

EDIT: now that I think of it, I don't understand why the team isn't already full of superstars. Is Gillis lazy or dumb or something?

A team full of superstars cannot work in a cap system.

Upgrading 2 positions (1D, 1Top6) from a $4.5M Dman and a $4.25M Forward to 6 or 7 million dollar dman and forward are possible under the cap with a trade of luongo clearing out the difference. Not that this is necessarily possible given the current trade climate, but I guess jumping to conclusions is the best thing that can be mustered around here.

#50 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

A team full of superstars cannot work in a cap system.

Upgrading 2 positions (1D, 1Top6) from a $4.5M Dman and a $4.25M Forward to 6 or 7 million dollar dman and forward are possible under the cap with a trade of luongo clearing out the difference. Not that this is necessarily possible given the current trade climate, but I guess jumping to conclusions is the best thing that can be mustered around here.

I was being sarcastic.

EDIT: we don't have the organizational depth to pull off a blockbuster trade for a star, unless we'll be trading away one of our goalies.

Edited by Mookie Wilson, 17 February 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#51 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

Gotta love Edler's drop passes that's why we use him over garrison

#52 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,630 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

We could use...

2-Way Centre for depth
Right Handed Depth Defence man

A player like Jay McClement or Vladmir Sobotka (not specifically them) as a depth 2-way centre.

A player like Kevin Klein (not specifically him) as a depth right handed defence man.

I would love it if Sobotka came here.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#53 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

True #1 D-man, maybe an upgrade on Volpatti/Wiese
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#54 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

I would still trade Booth for Clowe or Ryan (if it could be done) I don't like seeing Volpatti fight guys 20 lbs bigger than him even when he puts up a pretty good show. He is going to get hurt. Clowe would have mangled Reaves.
Kevin.jpg

#55 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

A coaching staff with a better system that gets the team fired up.Someone who allows them to attack when the opportunity is there not just defend and short time management shift crap.

#56 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

A coaching staff with a better system that gets the team fired up.Someone who allows them to attack when the opportunity is there not just defend and short time management shift crap.

You know the Canucks have been one of the highest scoring teams in each of the past few seasons, right?

#57 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

I would still trade Booth for Clowe or Ryan (if it could be done) I don't like seeing Volpatti fight guys 20 lbs bigger than him even when he puts up a pretty good show. He is going to get hurt. Clowe would have mangled Reaves.

Yea, I think every GM in the NHL would jump on a Booth for Clowe/Ryan trade. Unless you're SJS/ANA GM...... We could throw a 1st in there and I doubt they bite.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#58 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

The Canucks will not be acquiring a superstar. Such fantasies cannot reasonably be considered plugging a hole.

There are two superstars amidst the group of pending UFAs: Getzlaf and Perry.

Does anyone really want to see players such as Schroeder, Kassian, Jensen and Gaunce traded for a couple months out of Perry or Getzlaf?

Do you know what happens when an organization doesn't have cost-effective young players filling out its rosters? Marc Chouinard, Jan Bulis and Rory Fitzpatrick get signed. That's how windows of opportunity close.

Edited by Mookie Wilson, 18 February 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#59 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

You know the Canucks have been one of the highest scoring teams in each of the past few seasons, right?

You have seen their offensive numbers post-season, right?

This season is looking like deja vu. I don't see anything in their offensive system/production that convinces me they will be effective post-season against the tighter checking/better coaching/slacker reffing that we have seen in the past.

The 1st unit PP is tired looking and predictable.

For this team to compete, it has to have outstanding goal tending, something they have had the luxury of and that has covered up for some pretty slack and careless efforts.

EIther the top 6 has to find another gear offensively, one that works in the playoff environment or MG needs to find a legitimate top 6 player along the lines of Getzlaf or Perry. The reclamation projects (Booth, HIggins, Lappy) are okay as a supporting cast but so far, they have not shown the ability to bring it when it counts.

#60 cammy

cammy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

I think we have the right amount of dollars locked up in the D - just how they are distributed are wrong, to many middle of the road reasonable paid guys, I would be happier with downgrading one of the D to a cheap but reliable 3rd pair d man and use the extra cash to have a leader amongst the D. (right sided preferably)

Also I like Schroeder on the 3rd line, good cost good player, however could maybe use another winger to go with him and Hanson who can crash and bang but also make the draws in the centre.

My current Knowledge of the NHL isn't au fait so I'm sure some of you guys would be able to identify someone that fits that mould at a reasonable cost

Edited by cammy, 18 February 2013 - 11:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.