Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

I like this lineup when all are healthy and up-to-speed:

Sedins + Burr

Booth Kes Kass

Gone Zaa Laas line (Raymond - Shredder - Hansen)

Higgy Lappy Weesy

Press box/rotation: Ebbet, Volpatti

Waived: Barker (don't know anything new about him; saw the Skills Competition clips.)

But what is going to happen first IMO is that Booth will come to practise and AV will juggle the lines and the power play units.

The results of these tests will determine where Booth fits in his first game back.

#62 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

I think Booth will start on the 4th line just to work his way in. He'll move up quickly. With Booth returning he gives us great forward depth and nearly endless top-nine options.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Booth
Weise/Volpatti - Lapierre - Hansen

This lineup is how I see it shaping up long term; 3 scoring lines and an energy/4th line. But we do have a ton of options

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Higgins - Kesler - Burrows
_______ - Lapierre - Hansen

If we want to use Kesler as a true shutdown center, put him with our other best defensive forwards.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen
Raymond - Schroeder - ____

Use Higgins/Lapierre/Hansen as the shutdown line.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Booth
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
_______ - Lapierre - Kassian

Reunite the AMEX line, ice three scoring lines and a more traditional 4th line.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Lapierre - ______

Lines balanced with scoring, speed, grit and offense right through the lineup.

Edited by bossram, 17 February 2013 - 03:02 PM.

What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#63 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Booth should be on the fourth. The other lines just have too much going for them right now to risk their chemistry to try to fit Booth in. If he starts showing something special on the fourth or if someone else starts slipping we can rethink later.

But, I will say what I've said again. I don't think Booth is worth his cap hit and would like to see him traded before next season. We have other players who contribute as much for less.

I think we should give Booth another chance to prove us wrong, after all I was Raymond's biggest critic and not it seems he's back to his old self.

The Booth situation does make for an interesting conversation in terms of how we're going to fit under the cap next year. For the sake of argument, let's say he does perform this year, forcing our hand to keep him next year. With the way Ballard has also stepped up his game, it looks like we could keep both going forward. Then it becomes a matter of keeping Higgins and Raymond, who are both approaching UFA. At this point that's 55mil tied up in 13 players (64.3m cap next season), with Raymond, Higgins and Lapierre all unsigned FA's. In this scenario we have to either deal Luongo for no real cap coming back, or look at buying out one of Ballard/Booth. However, if both are performing, then do we buyout either?

So I guess what I'm saying is, do we keep Booth if he does perform, and risk losing Raymond/Higgins or do we buyout Booth and bring back Higgins and Raymond? The latter option is my preference. So Booth has to out perform the combination of Raymond and Higgins in order to justify his contract next season, a tough hill to climb.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#64 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

i could see Booth bringing something to the 4th line, unorthodox though that may be. with his style of play it could really work, and might be a good way to get him up to game speed, maybe motivate him to shine and move up in the ranks. i could imagine various other options too of course, i just hope the speed line will stay intact and Kassian will continue to have the chance to develop and produce on a scoring line.

This I agree with...I think starting Booth on the fourth line accomplishes a few things -- (1) eases him into game shape...there's no need to overburden him at this time, especially when the current lines appearing to have decent chemistry; (2) lets Booth earn his elevated status based on what he shows; (3) gives the team four lines that can be rolled out night after night. Give Booth some PP time (2nd unit?) while he plays his way off of the fourth line.

Sedin -- Sedin -- Burrows
Higgins -- Kesler -- Kassian
Raymond -- Schroeder -- Hansen
Volpatti/Weise -- Lapierre -- Booth

13th forward: Weise/Volpatti; Wolves bound: Ebbett

#65 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

POPULAR

I think Booth will start on the 4th line just to work his way in. He'll move up quickly. With Booth returning he gives us great forward depth and nearly endless top-nine options.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

This lineup is how I see it shaping up long term; 3 scoring lines and an energy/4th line. But we do have a ton of options

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

If we want to use Kesler as a true shutdown center, put him with our other best defensive forwards.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Booth

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Posted Image
Posted Image

#66 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,757 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I thought that was our best line on a lot of nights. Big, physical, fast and they drive to the net.

The looked awful last year I thought. You describe it well but it was so one dimensional.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#67 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,757 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

I think we should give Booth another chance to prove us wrong, after all I was Raymond's biggest critic and not it seems he's back to his old self.

The Booth situation does make for an interesting conversation in terms of how we're going to fit under the cap next year. For the sake of argument, let's say he does perform this year, forcing our hand to keep him next year. With the way Ballard has also stepped up his game, it looks like we could keep both going forward. Then it becomes a matter of keeping Higgins and Raymond, who are both approaching UFA. At this point that's 55mil tied up in 13 players (64.3m cap next season), with Raymond, Higgins and Lapierre all unsigned FA's. In this scenario we have to either deal Luongo for no real cap coming back, or look at buying out one of Ballard/Booth. However, if both are performing, then do we buyout either?

So I guess what I'm saying is, do we keep Booth if he does perform, and risk losing Raymond/Higgins or do we buyout Booth and bring back Higgins and Raymond? The latter option is my preference. So Booth has to out perform the combination of Raymond and Higgins in order to justify his contract next season, a tough hill to climb.

I think we can only keep one of Raymond or Higgins, if either. That's the problem with having too much depth, it forces us to play with less than ideal lines sometimes. I mean we should maybe go with

Booth Kesler Kassian
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Higgins Lapiere Wiese

but Higgins isn't really a fourth line player, should we sit him in the press box and keep our fourth status quo, or switch Higgins to the right (which I disagree with, he's not good on the right.)?

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#68 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,412 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

The looked awful last year I thought. You describe it well but it was so one dimensional.

How is it one dimensional when you have one of the best 2-way forwards in the league on the line.

Defense and Offense are two dimensions no?

Edited by playboi19, 17 February 2013 - 03:46 PM.

Subbancopy.jpg

#69 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

I honestly think he would be great playing with Raymond and Schroeder, no offence to Jannik but he would be just as effective on the fourth line.

Booth would bring some much needed size to that line, and as he showed in the playoffs some grit as well. He's a head down crash the net type player, and Kes couldn't find him in stride, something that Jordan Schroeder excells at.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Volpatti - Lapierre - Hansen

All this team needs is maybe another steady top 4 D man and we SHOULD be in the finals.

You're all delusional.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#70 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

There was a period last season when Booth was on fire. That came after an 'injury.'

If that Booth returns, and stays a bit more consistent, then i'm pretty sure the haters (y'know, those who thought Raymond was done but now think his game is fine?) will once again be converted.

How can Booth be 'overrated' here anyway? He hasn't been here long enough.

Haters? In Vancouver? You cray.

:bigblush:

/=S=/

#71 Owen Nolan

Owen Nolan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,128 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

You're all delusional.

Always get a kick out of people like you... Answer with a simple one liner and don't give any insight as to why you disagree
Posted Image

#72 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

These are questions thatll be figured out after the season. We should all have a good idea of who should be kept around by then. Id bet that Luongo or Schneider will be gone by the draft, and there could always be a package there. Also consider Jensen pushing to make the club, which'll need another winger spot to open up. I think at this point that Raymond is the odd man out, as he''l be UFA and wanting a raise after the pay cut. Higgins could be perhaps had for around what he's currently making, same as Lappy. Time will tell with Booth, but the Canucks wont be making any buyouts. Ballard and Booth are tradable assets, no sense in losing them for nothing.

Edited by 70seven, 17 February 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#73 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Yes, that would present us with the best sort of problem, wouldn't it?

You could be right and Booth could get back to the level of play we saw for a month or 2 last season (before he forgot how to pass again.) If that were to be the case, he would definitely have something significant to contribute (or, at least increase his trade value.) So, maybe you're right and giving him another opportunity this season before making the final decision in the smartest move. Still, if it came down to keeping Higgins and Raymond or just Booth, that seems like an easy choice unless Booth really did come back with his game and part of someone else's the way Raymond did.

Either way, I doubt we'd have to buy him out. I think we could trade him. Ballard would have been my only buyout option and the way he's been playing most games this season that's off the table too.

As for how we're going to fit under the cap and keep all of our best players, I wish I knew. I'd love to see Raymond stay, but I think he'll have to sign for a discount. I'd love to see him sign for $1.5M but I doubt we'd get him for less than $2M, though even that would be a discount. We'll need the other guys to re-sign for around what they play for now too, and I don't know that that's going to happen. I think the drop in cap is going to shake up a lot of teams. Will be interesting to see if next season's standings reflect this new level of forced talent parity.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#74 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,334 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

You're all delusional.

Actually you are the delusional one. Each team doesn't have to have giants on each line to make the Finals. Raymond and Schroeder are good defensively and are extremely fast. They along with Booth or Hansen on that line would give us an element most big teams don't have.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#75 JarlTheFrank_

JarlTheFrank_

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

sweet maybe he can kill a few more bears too

#76 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

weise ebbett volpatti
raymond hansen higgins
kesler booth lapierre
sedin sedin schroeder

alberts barker
vandemeer bieksa
ballard tanev

Edited by Heli_Kopitar, 17 February 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#77 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

We have two garbages - Ebbett and Weise waiting to get waived or sent down, no problem at al.

#78 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,583 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

AV: Booth is medically cleared
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#79 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,532 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

I honestly hope they don't send Schroeder down to the Wolves. He's been playing great so far

Agreed. He has worked up some great chemistry with Raymond and Hansen and he's good defensively too so he's not a liability. I'd think it would be Ebbett that gets demoted
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#80 darkpoet

darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Booth and Kesler have zero chemistry.

They are both the prototypical (American) gung-ho, north-south type players.

Having one dominant player like that (Kesler) on a line can make it elite. Having two though, can just turn the whole line to poop.

Part of the reason they brought in Booth was because he played with Kesler in college... well.. it's safe to say that bromance is long over.

It's too bad because at his salary you can't justify moving him out of your top 6.

Trade.

#81 enforcer22

enforcer22

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

http://canucksarmy.c...ith-david-booth Good article.

#82 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:33 AM

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Booth

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian

I think you might have over-thought this post.

Edited by Bodee, 19 February 2013 - 04:34 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#83 adniel_g

adniel_g

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

I honestly think he would be great playing with Raymond and Schroeder, no offence to Jannik but he would be just as effective on the fourth line.

Booth would bring some much needed size to that line, and as he showed in the playoffs some grit as well. He's a head down crash the net type player, and Kes couldn't find him in stride, something that Jordan Schroeder excells at.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Volpatti - Lapierre - Hansen

All this team needs is maybe another steady top 4 D man and we SHOULD be in the finals.

You're all delusional.

Your forgetting Boston has Brad Marchand, Marc Savard and Andrew Ference all small players that can just stand up for themselves. Their big tough guy Shawn Thornton is only like 6'3 220.
While our lineup is not the kind of goon linup Boston has, Raymond and Schroeder will be just fine if they keep their heads up and stand up for themselves. Raymond got injured on an odd play in the playoffs, not because he was small and lacked grit.
If Patrick Kane and Datsyuk can make it as top line players playing against the biggest toughest d-men, I dont see why Raymond and Schroeder can't make it on the third.

Whats more important imo is the identity of the line. Raymond on Kesler's line will ALWAYS fail b/c Kes is gonna set a gritty style of play for the whole line. Kes is just not big on the crisp passes, etc that allow the smaller guys to avoid confrontations/give them room to play. Instead he gives you the puck and expects you to play with it and make room for yourself/ give it back to him to score. Partly why Higgins plays well with him.
When Raymond plays with Schroeder, they play to their strengths and away from their weaknesses, using their speed and quick passes to move around the bigger guys; instead of trying to muscle past them, then realize its not possible eventually stopping/falling/maybe successfully turning around to pass back to the point=useless Raymond play of last year.

Edited by adniel_g, 19 February 2013 - 05:23 AM.

#84 adniel_g

adniel_g

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

Posted Image

What movie is that from?

#85 Just Jimmy

Just Jimmy

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

4th line...He's a big boy let's see what he can do down there...plus gives a little more scoring to our fourth line...look at it, it's a thing of beauty:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
Raymond - Schroeder - Kassian
Volpatti - Lapierre - Booth

Why do people want to keep jostling Hansen and Higgins around? I like them more than Booth, and they have contributed more to the team.
I know people won't agree to my Kassian moved down to the 3rd but I'd like to see him on a line with Schroeder.

that's my two cents.

#86 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

4th line...He's a big boy let's see what he can do down there...plus gives a little more scoring to our fourth line...look at it, it's a thing of beauty:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
Raymond - Schroeder - Kassian
Volpatti - Lapierre - Booth

Why do people want to keep jostling Hansen and Higgins around? I like them more than Booth, and they have contributed more to the team.
I know people won't agree to my Kassian moved down to the 3rd but I'd like to see him on a line with Schroeder.

that's my two cents.

Hansen works well with Lapierre and Higgins is more versatile for a bottom-6 role compared to Booth.

#87 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

I'm concerned that he suggested playing against Chicago, depending on how his injury "feels".

This says to me that he isn't completely healed. IMO, feeling 100% for one day isn't enough to ensure a full recovery, and he's risking re-injuring it again. We've done fine without Booth so far, and I certainly don't want to see the guy go down again because he came back too soon.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#88 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,171 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Sedin Sedin Burrows/Kassian after pk
Raymond Kesler Hansen
Booth Schroeder Higgins
Kassian Lappy Volpatti
Posted Image

#89 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

I'm concerned that he suggested playing against Chicago, depending on how his injury "feels".

This says to me that he isn't completely healed. IMO, feeling 100% for one day isn't enough to ensure a full recovery, and he's risking re-injuring it again. We've done fine without Booth so far, and I certainly don't want to see the guy go down again because he came back too soon.

The Canucks have full time staff employed to deal with injured players and make decisions like this. There's no need for us to speculate wildly based on player quotes. He won't be back before he's ready.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#90 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Sedin Sedin Burrows/Kassian after pk
Raymond Kesler Hansen
Booth Schroeder Higgins
Kassian Lappy Volpatti

Is that a lineup or a player rankings list?
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.