The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows - go to move

puckinaround

Was wondering what people think about Burrows shootout move. Its almost the same every time he tries and he has a great record in the shootout. Granted he tried that crazy move recently that everyone was scratching their heads at, but is he now too predictable? He is leaving a pattern for goalies to study and defend against. This also opens the door to the discussion of teams figuring out how to shut down the Sedins Burrows line in the playoffs. Thats my case for keeping Kassian with the Sedins. Its new and unexpected. Cody Hodgson ripping a slap shot over Tim Thomas's shoulder is a perfect example of how affective the unexpected can be. Will never forget the reaction Thomas had after that goal. It was a big WTF was that moment for him.

I don't think its predictable, he just fumbled it a little bit. He tried shooting before the goalie fully committed, usually he waits until they're snow angled then lets it rip. I give him credit for switching it up. When playing with the Sedins, the goals he scores are one timers or tip-ins. Burrows is a lot better at screening the goalie, while Kassian is better at clearing the way for the twins and standing his ground. Burrows gets like 10 cross checks while in front of the goalie and looks like one of those flailing car dealership things( which is good for distraction). Kassian absorbs them, but isn't as mobile. Long story short, burrows is proven in the playoffs while playing with the twins.

You can tell Burrows is a guy that prides himself on his shootout play, whenever he misses one (or a penalty shot, or a breakaway) he always looks really mad at himself.

I imagine he had some good move in mind for that spin-o-rama but hadn't actually practiced it, so it fell really flat. Shootouts are tough and they probably don't spend much time practicing them (ideally the shootout shouldn't happen much).

Most guys only have two or three moves that work for them that are their go-to moves. Burrows has his one, but he's honed it so well it works consistently. He's close to 50% on his career shootouts, after all.

agreed it was just a bad attempt, but his leg kick backhand gets the goalies to open up for a shot, then when they bite the goalie can be flat footed and the back hand just has to be above the pad and it' a goal. I play goal myself and if i bite on the fake shot, it's hard to recover from.

I think he should have a move that looks just like it, like he should come in on the backhand (from the right side) and move to the left and shoot. Sort of like a reverse of the same move, I think he could pull it off. Tonight it was predictable and it affected him in the shoot out, he's been trying weird moves.. I would of liked to see Raymond in instead of Burrows, also Kassian as the 2nd shooter and Kes as the 3rd shooter. Oh well, on to the next game- hope the Chicago one fairs better! :P

Burrows only has his backhand deke - he has a pretty crummy shot compared to some of the other Canucks. We actually have a lot of weapons on this team that AV simply doesn't use.

Daniel Sedin has this team's best shot one-on-one without a doubt, he just rarely uses it in games because he's busy passing the puck around. I want to see him skate in, no deke and simply rip a shot high blocker. The number of goals he scored off the post and in last season was far more than clean shots in. He's a true sniper and very underated in this league because of his great passing.

Kassian has some of the smoothest hands on this team. He showed it off once with a great deke and he's been doing it all of the lockout long in the AHL. Give this guy a shot again and let him deke out goalies.

Raymond also has an incredibly accurate shot. He shouldn't try to deke because his arm-span isn't that wide and can't get the puck very far out from his body. Instead, come in with speed and simply shoot it.

Kesler has a whole arsenal of weapons in the shoot-out, he used to have a great wrist shot but the double-surgeries may have slown this down. Instead I want to see the leg-kick deke again. He used it so often in before 2009 I think and it embarassed goalies - similar to Crosby's go-to move. Now he's reverted to shooting low-blocker and it rarely works.

Chris Higgins is my choice for our next shootout though. He and even Lapierre have surprisingly quick hands and have some amazing dekes in their repetoire. We've seen what he can do on breakaways - one sweet move against Kippersoff last year that completely undressed the goalie. Also, Higgins has a shot very similar to Raymond's - it's accurate and hard. AV really needs to look to Higgins more often. He's a great deker and shooter as well which keeps goalies guessing.

Archived