The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

auto racing/motorsport 2013

aeromotacanucks

Its my favorite movie, wish I could've seen him race but I was too young. He raced the right way: hard, wheel to wheel but will still care about you after the race, and despised the politics that unfortunately rule the sport

I was just getting into the sport when he passed so I missed the majority of his career as well. And you are so right, he absolutely raced the right way. It must have been nerve racking having him fill your mirrors.

One thing I don't understand is why he was suspended for Prost running into him. That's not politics, that's fracking lunacy!!

I was just getting into the sport when he passed so I missed the majority of his career as well. And you are so right, he absolutely raced the right way. It must have been nerve racking having him fill your mirrors.

One thing I don't understand is why he was suspended for Prost running into him. That's not politics, that's fracking lunacy!!

The first incident in japan? He was dq'd for not "honoring the race distance" by taking the chicane, instead of turning around and going back through the corner. Lunacy for sure but that's what happens when a french driver can win the title with a french FIA president in charge

manny people think Senna was a saint...

ok. He was a great driver, surely one of the best in Formula-1 history...

even today more than 15 years after his death Senna is considered a National Hero, the master of racetrack, the god of Formula-1, the King of Interlagos and Monaco etc etc etc...

but many people forget Nelson Piquet and Emmerson Fittipaldi. these 2 guys also performed great races in Formula-1 history, and Fittipaldi was even more. he was the 1st Latino to win an INDY 500 and an INDY Championchip...

Nelson Piquet was considered the "badass" of his time, angry, quiet, punched many drivers (in and outside the car), 3 times champion. his son is racing on NASCAR Nationwide and he´s doing pretty well...

Emmerson Fittipaldi also know as "The Rat", the guy is considered a father of the modern Brazilian Autoracing. the 1st to win a Formula-1 championship, the 1st tho win an INDY 500 and to win an INDY championship. he also had his own Formula-1 team for many years (the Copersucar) having great results as a driver and as an owner...

if you see Tonny Kanaan and Helio Castroneves doing well in INDY it´s because Fittipaldi opened the gates...

About Senna:

Senna was soo important that during the military government the ABIN/DOI COD (the Brazilian KGB) dedicated skilled people just to monitor and protect him (also to protect Piquet and Fittipaldi) to avoid terrorism against him. literally when Senna travelled around the world Brazilian Military agents travelled with him (without Senna knowledge off course) to protect him...

^ I don't think anyone is trying to discredit Piquet or Fittipaldi but Senna is widely considered to be the greatest driver ever, especially by top F1 drivers like Schumacher, Vettel, and Hamilton. I think his death while racing elevates him to an almost christ-like status within racing as well.

It wasn't just that Senna won, it was how he drove that has made him sacred in racing. Top gear did a segment on Senna a while back and I think the best point made was that most top drivers were great most of the time, Senna was great all the time. He always pushed, always tried an overtake, always gave 100%. It was a great juxtaposition to his main rival, Prost who tried to win by the smallest margin. Senna's race in Monaco where he was figurative miles ahead of Prost but kept pushing until he crashed out is a great example of this.

^ I don't think anyone is trying to discredit Piquet or Fittipaldi but Senna is widely considered to be the greatest driver ever, especially by top F1 drivers like Schumacher, Vettel, and Hamilton. I think his death while racing elevates him to an almost christ-like status within racing as well.

It wasn't just that Senna won, it was how he drove that has made him sacred in racing. Top gear did a segment on Senna a while back and I think the best point made was that most top drivers were great most of the time, Senna was great all the time. He always pushed, always tried an overtake, always gave 100%. It was a great juxtaposition to his main rival, Prost who tried to win by the smallest margin. Senna's race in Monaco where he was figurative miles ahead of Prost but kept pushing until he crashed out is a great example of this.

Well said! Senna's on board footage has to be some of the best racing footage around. It almost seems as though the video has been sped up. The guy seriously pushed the limits. I could watch him for hours and hours.

And thanks for posting that vid. Very cool. :)

Well said! Senna's on board footage has to be some of the best racing footage around. It almost seems as though the video has been sped up. The guy seriously pushed the limits. I could watch him for hours and hours.

And thanks for posting that vid. Very cool. :)

Agreed, I can only imagine what he could do in today's cars, it wouldn't even be fair.

I remembered when Senna died. I was a kid but that week was wierd...

on streets, just like protests today, but that time people were on streets across the country saying "ole ole ole ola Senna Senna". people were walking with the Brazilian flag and saying "Senna"

ask for ANY Brazilian what Senna represented and ANY Brazilian will say something like this:

"the entire world see Brazil as a big playground, land of Soccer, Samba and Carnival. Senna shows we can do much better than this"

when I was living in USA my neighbour "discovered" where I came from and for my surprise he refered to Brazil as "the land of the 3 great racers" (Senna, Piquet and Fittipaldi)

BUT when Senna died the Country felt without a Hero, let me explain:

The democracy was back but people weren´t confident about this, the economy was bad, our currency was changing (to our today´s money, the BRL), our previous president (Collor) was deposed due to extreme corruption, our national image was bad, our soccer team lost 3 consecutives FIFA´s cup and many people were afraid of a new military regime motivated by revenge and destruction...

really 1994 was a critical year for Brazil. only being a Brazilian you can understand why 1994 was important for us.

Then a guy racing like a maniac won 3 championships showing the Brazilian flag on every victory, with miraculous winnings in Interlagos...

that was enought. Senna was at that time more popular than the Pope. after God, Senna was the guy...

some people believed that if Senna was candidate to be a president he would win by 90% of any probability...

people on the entire Brazil woke up at 1AM to see the Japanese GP and celebrate his victory, was amazing, at 3AM on sunday people celebrating on streets just because a guy from your country won a race...

when Senna died people felt that the country was without a hero, the country cried. even today, when you talk about races people here refer Senna as a God.

^ I can't say I really understood the exact significance that Senna meant to Brazil as I grew up in a different time and country, but the footage in the documentary really is moving.

It seems he was really a symbol for hope in a country that needed one

Wednesday was a historic night for NASCAR, as a major series was racing on a dirt track for the first time in over 40 years. The Camping World Truck Series raced at Eldora Speedway, and it was a pretty exciting show to watch.

Here's some clips of the action from Wednesday:

And now the Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series are on a more conventional surface today & tomorrow at the Brickyard.

Hamilton won with Mercedes. finally! nice race...

Vettel. tried attack Raikkonen but the "Ice Man" doesn´t melt down easly...

Raikkonen. probably one of the coolest drivers ever made, amazing how he deals with pressure...

Button. making miracles with this crappy Mclaren...

Grosjean. finally learning how drive without destroy half of the other cars at 1st lap...

Massa. no coments dude. maybe in 2014 (if there is a 2014 for him)

Alonso. without help of Massa getting close isn´t easy isn´t it?

Webber. Solid, like always...

And Ryan Newman finally secured a victory at the Brickyard 400, as he's an Indiana native and many native Hoosiers dream of winning at Indianapolis. It was his first Sprint Cup win since April of last year.

But in all honesty, much like the Hungaroring has outgrown F1 cars, Indianapolis Motor Speedway really isn't a NASCAR track.

NASCAR really erred in moving the Nationwide Series from much-smaller Indianapolis Raceway Park to the Brickyard beginning with last season. IRP was a staple on the Nationwide Series schedule since its inception in 1982.

And Ryan Newman finally secured a victory at the Brickyard 400, as he's an Indiana native and many native Hoosiers dream of winning at Indianapolis.  It was his first Sprint Cup win since April of last year.

But in all honesty, much like the Hungaroring has outgrown F1 cars, Indianapolis Motor Speedway really isn't a NASCAR track.

NASCAR really erred in moving the Nationwide Series from much-smaller Indianapolis Raceway Park to the Brickyard beginning with last season.  IRP was a staple on the Nationwide Series schedule since its inception in 1982.

Indianapolis is for INDY Car Series. for NASCAR the best ones are Talladega and Daytona, period.

And Ryan Newman finally secured a victory at the Brickyard 400, as he's an Indiana native and many native Hoosiers dream of winning at Indianapolis.  It was his first Sprint Cup win since April of last year.

NASCAR really erred in moving the Nationwide Series from much-smaller Indianapolis Raceway Park to the Brickyard beginning with last season.  IRP was a staple on the Nationwide Series schedule since its inception in 1982.

Gotta agree about not liking the Nationwide Series at Indy. Those cars don't have enough power for that track IMO and the racing was much better when they were at IRP.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived