Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Confused about Religion and what this means?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 yawn.3x

yawn.3x

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hey CDC, I'll try to make this brief because the game is starting soon:

I was talking to my friend who's super religious (Christian) and about a week ago we watched Paranormal Activity 4. I asked my friend if they wanted to see this other movie called: The Awakening? or The Awakened? one of those.

Anyways, to those who have seen PA4, they'll know about a "GROUP" of people at the end. (special word for it, but I don't want to spoil anything) but theres a group of "individuals" which would be considered "Demonic" in the words of my friend.

Okay to the conversation:

Friend: I don't want to watch any form of horror movie / supernatural movie ever again

Me: Why? What's up?

Friend: its kinda stupid and useless i mean thinking back on paranormal activity what did that even do for me just plant stupid supernatural crap in my mind, dont really wanna watch those types of films anymore. I know God wouldn't want me to so imma make a change for the better

Me: Was just a movie though. Purely for entertainment.

Friend: i can choose my own entertainment and to me thinking about it now that type of entertainment is no good just cause it has no reference to god or the bible ghosts and supernatural stuff is still somthing i shouldn't be watching in my opinion. something nice i read is to picture jesus being beside you physically would i take him to the movies to see the awakening? no i wouldn't.
horror movies and supernatural ones i am watching no more.

Me: What do you mean "no reference to god or the bible?"

Friend: well in paranmoral activity 5 there wasn't any scripture or anything in it from the bible but there was still demonic supernatural activity so its still considered a dark movie a guess u could call it somthing i don't wanna watch anymore. i filtered out movies that try to pull stories from the bible and change them like 10000 B.C and w/e that one was when those 2 people investigate strange stuff happening in that one area and it turns out to be the plagues again with that girl in that house i can't remember but it was stupid now imma just try to filter out horror movies all together

Me: So basically every movie that pulls something from the bible and twist it?

Friend: ya those movies i already diddn't wanna watch but just in general a horror movies/thriller or w/e i wanan stay away from cause really there just taking demonic stuff and trying to make it real or change it and that in my opinion is damaging to me cause it plants useless crap in my mind its feeding a part of my mind that i don't want to be fed if that makes sense.

Me: But you play World of Warcraft AND Diablo 3......

Friend: Lol I knew you were gonna say that, and one thing about those games is that I don't read the lore. I just like the gameplay and farming so i'm not getting anything bad from it.

After that I just got annoyed. That was the biggest double standard I ever heard IMO! But I can't see it through his eyes so maybe somebody else can enlighten me? So I didn't want to push the subject further I know how touchy religion can be with some people So I left it alone, and then said:

Me: Alright well I have faith in ya buddy. you're my friend so I support you

Friend: I wish you would have faith in somebody else lol, but i'm glad you support me.

That last comment bugged me so I just said i gotta go, talk to ya later.

I don't know why it's bugging me but it really is. Like what does everything he said even mean?

A good friend of mine says there are 2 types of faiths, Blind faith and Intellectual faith and I understand Intellectual faith.. I THINK, but I don't understand Blind Faith.

Sorry for the long read, I apologize if it offends anybody in any ways at all; it's just he's a friend of mine and I don't like looking at things from one perspective. I like to view everything from an unbiased point of view; completely open minded.

Anyways, my question is what is he talking about? Am I missing something?

Edited by yawn.3x, 17 February 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#2 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

POPULAR

Hey CDC, I'll try to make this brief

lies

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#3 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,056 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

I'm getting ready for a war.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#4 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,307 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

Hilarious. He called a "scary" movie solely created for entertainment as damaging but the bible and indoctrination isn't?
Posted Image

#5 Dancin'Droid

Dancin'Droid

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Ok so i didn't read the entire thing but let me point something out. It says in the bible that you should deal with paranormal and the dead. Leave the dead dead as they are separated from the living for a reason. Now of course this isn't exactly what it says and i can't remember what verse it was but that could be part of his reaction.

Edit:
I found some verses such as

Leviticus 19:31 Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the Lord you God.

Leviticus 20:27 Men and women among you who act as mediums or psychics must be put to death by stoning. They are guilty of a capital offense.

1 Chronicles 10:13-14 Saul died because he was unfaithful to the LORD; he did not keep the word of the LORD and even consulted a medium for guidance, and did not inquire of the LORD. So the LORD put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse.

Not sure if this answers what you are asking but it should help

Edited by Dancin'Droid, 17 February 2013 - 06:52 PM.

DancingAndroidYellow-1.gif

2013 Kent Jr. Football Champion

2014 Bronze Boot

2014 Kent Sr. Football Champion

2014 SWOSSA Football Finalist 

#6 yawn.3x

yawn.3x

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

lies

LOL that actually made me laugh. Sorry I guess it isn't brief it's a pretty long topic. Just trying to understand it better.

#7 greenbean30

greenbean30

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Maybe he's using the religion thing as an excuse? Maybe he doesn't like horror films but doesn't want to admit it?
Horror films effect different people in different ways. I personally love them, but I know a lot of people don't, maybe he just doesn't want to admit that.

#8 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

P-U-S-S-Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,565 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

This cant end well...

*grabs popcorn*

2qnqykg.jpg

#10 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

While I do believe your friend is making a double standard on his opinion, it is his opinion.

If those scary movies make him uncomfortable because of his faith, where his video games do not, that is his opinion and his choice. I don't like scary demonic movies, but I love scary demonic video games and I am an atheist.

If he doesn't want to see those kinds of movies anymore, see them with someone else I guess.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#11 yawn.3x

yawn.3x

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Maybe he's using the religion thing as an excuse? Maybe he doesn't like horror films but doesn't want to admit it?
Horror films effect different people in different ways. I personally love them, but I know a lot of people don't, maybe he just doesn't want to admit that.

I'd understand that, but he's ALWAYS the one who's watched horror movies. The ring, The ring 2, The grudge, Amittyville, like the list goes on and on, so I don't think that's the case.

#12 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,044 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Sounds like he's a religious nutter to me.

He has a terrible grasp of reality when he thinks horror movies are 'something that God doesn't want me to see'.

Really?
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#13 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Let me see if I have this right. He likes his extremely violent fairy tales that are the basis for his religion but does not like other violent fiction. Seems odd.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#14 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,044 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

While I do believe your friend is making a double standard on his opinion, it is his opinion.

If those scary movies make him uncomfortable because of his faith, where his video games do not, that is his opinion and his choice. I don't like scary demonic movies, but I love scary demonic video games and I am an atheist.

If he doesn't want to see those kinds of movies anymore, see them with someone else I guess.

I don't respect an opinion that contradicts itself AND the person make that opinion refuses to learn why he has those opinions.

Doesn't matter what faith or non-faith that opinion is.

If you're bold enough to express an opinion, you better back it up tooth and nail - or re-work those opinions that reflect what reality is.

Here, he can flip-flop with his opinions.

Edited by Dazzle, 17 February 2013 - 07:04 PM.

Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#15 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

I try not to get into these types of arguments/discussions with overly religious ppl. Everything comes back to God wants me to do this or God doesn't want me to do that.

How do you have an intelligent conversation with a delusional person.

#16 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Supernatural stuff was only been disallowed because of the King James revision of the Bible not all that long ago. Tell him Jesus never said it was a problem and to stop being a puss.

#17 Lillooet_Hillbilly

Lillooet_Hillbilly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

you lost as soon as you tried to have a reasonable conversation with religious person

#18 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

I try not to get into these types of arguments/discussions with overly religious ppl. Everything comes back to God wants me to do this or God doesn't want me to do that.

There is no greater arrogance than assuming you know what God wants

#19 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

I don't understand super religious people, they piss me off, sorry but it's true for me.

I always find that they always seem to make "non-believers" feel bad about themselves, kinda like gay people when you don't support them or whatever.

#20 yawn.3x

yawn.3x

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

I don't respect an opinion that contradicts itself AND the person make that opinion refuses to learn why he has those opinions.

Doesn't matter what faith or non-faith that opinion is.

If you're bold enough to express an opinion, you better back it up tooth and nail - or re-work those opinions that reflect what reality is.

Here, he can flip-flop with his opinions.

Well exactly, and he used the excuse, "Well I don't immerse myself in the lore of D3 and WoW, so I think it's okay to play them"

But to my knowledge, God is ALL-knowing. So he would know all the lore of D3 and WoW (sounds silly to say that..) but God would know all of the lore of WoW and D3, and so choosing to play that game would be the same as watching a horror movie wouldn't it?

#21 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,565 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Me neither, eventually you just end up having to back away slowly going o.k.

2qnqykg.jpg

#22 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Posted Image

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#23 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

I don't understand super religious people, they piss me off, sorry but it's true for me.

I always find that they always seem to make "non-believers" feel bad about themselves, kinda like gay people when you don't support them or whatever.

Nothing like gay people in my experience. They are not telling you you are damned if you are not gay.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#24 mau5trap

mau5trap

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Brace yourselves, teh interwebz warz is coming.

Posted Image

#25 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

His head can only hold so many fantasies give him a break

#26 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,477 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Wait a minute... The latest in the Paranormal series was deemed to be big screen-worthy?
Posted Image

#27 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,477 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

I also have a religious friend who refuses to see spiritual/religious horror films. It's his right. He doesn't overly preach to me about why though and i don't ask.

Stupid conversations avoided.
Posted Image

#28 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Ok so i didn't read the entire thing but let me point something out. It says in the bible that you should deal with paranormal and the dead. Leave the dead dead as they are separated from the living for a reason. Now of course this isn't exactly what it says and i can't remember what verse it was but that could be part of his reaction.

Edit:
I found some verses such as

Leviticus 19:31 Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the Lord you God.

Leviticus 20:27 Men and women among you who act as mediums or psychics must be put to death by stoning. They are guilty of a capital offense.

1 Chronicles 10:13-14 Saul died because he was unfaithful to the LORD; he did not keep the word of the LORD and even consulted a medium for guidance, and did not inquire of the LORD. So the LORD put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse.

Not sure if this answers what you are asking but it should help

My favourite verse. Long Island Medium, you're on deck.
Posted Image

#29 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

To the OP. You're a better man than I. I could tolerate your friend for about 5 minutes before I'd leave the room shaking my head.

#30 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

I think you need new friends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.