The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Confused about Religion and what this means?

yawn.3x

Hey CDC, I'll try to make this brief because the game is starting soon:

I was talking to my friend who's super religious (Christian) and about a week ago we watched Paranormal Activity 4. I asked my friend if they wanted to see this other movie called: The Awakening? or The Awakened? one of those.

Anyways, to those who have seen PA4, they'll know about a "GROUP" of people at the end. (special word for it, but I don't want to spoil anything) but theres a group of "individuals" which would be considered "Demonic" in the words of my friend.

Okay to the conversation:

Friend: I don't want to watch any form of horror movie / supernatural movie ever again

Me: Why? What's up?

Friend: its kinda stupid and useless i mean thinking back on paranormal activity what did that even do for me just plant stupid supernatural crap in my mind, dont really wanna watch those types of films anymore. I know God wouldn't want me to so imma make a change for the better

Me: Was just a movie though. Purely for entertainment.

Friend: i can choose my own entertainment and to me thinking about it now that type of entertainment is no good just cause it has no reference to god or the bible ghosts and supernatural stuff is still somthing i shouldn't be watching in my opinion. something nice i read is to picture jesus being beside you physically would i take him to the movies to see the awakening? no i wouldn't.

horror movies and supernatural ones i am watching no more.

Me: What do you mean "no reference to god or the bible?"

Friend: well in paranmoral activity 5 there wasn't any scripture or anything in it from the bible but there was still demonic supernatural activity so its still considered a dark movie a guess u could call it somthing i don't wanna watch anymore. i filtered out movies that try to pull stories from the bible and change them like 10000 B.C and w/e that one was when those 2 people investigate strange stuff happening in that one area and it turns out to be the plagues again with that girl in that house i can't remember but it was stupid now imma just try to filter out horror movies all together

Me: So basically every movie that pulls something from the bible and twist it?

Friend: ya those movies i already diddn't wanna watch but just in general a horror movies/thriller or w/e i wanan stay away from cause really there just taking demonic stuff and trying to make it real or change it and that in my opinion is damaging to me cause it plants useless crap in my mind its feeding a part of my mind that i don't want to be fed if that makes sense.

Me: But you play World of Warcraft AND Diablo 3......

Friend: Lol I knew you were gonna say that, and one thing about those games is that I don't read the lore. I just like the gameplay and farming so i'm not getting anything bad from it.

After that I just got annoyed. That was the biggest double standard I ever heard IMO! But I can't see it through his eyes so maybe somebody else can enlighten me? So I didn't want to push the subject further I know how touchy religion can be with some people So I left it alone, and then said:

Me: Alright well I have faith in ya buddy. you're my friend so I support you

Friend: I wish you would have faith in somebody else lol, but i'm glad you support me.

That last comment bugged me so I just said i gotta go, talk to ya later.

I don't know why it's bugging me but it really is. Like what does everything he said even mean?

A good friend of mine says there are 2 types of faiths, Blind faith and Intellectual faith and I understand Intellectual faith.. I THINK, but I don't understand Blind Faith.

Sorry for the long read, I apologize if it offends anybody in any ways at all; it's just he's a friend of mine and I don't like looking at things from one perspective. I like to view everything from an unbiased point of view; completely open minded.

Anyways, my question is what is he talking about? Am I missing something?

Ok so i didn't read the entire thing but let me point something out. It says in the bible that you should deal with paranormal and the dead. Leave the dead dead as they are separated from the living for a reason. Now of course this isn't exactly what it says and i can't remember what verse it was but that could be part of his reaction.

Edit:

I found some verses such as

Leviticus 19:31 Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the Lord you God.

Leviticus 20:27 Men and women among you who act as mediums or psychics must be put to death by stoning. They are guilty of a capital offense.

1 Chronicles 10:13-14 Saul died because he was unfaithful to the LORD; he did not keep the word of the LORD and even consulted a medium for guidance, and did not inquire of the LORD. So the LORD put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse.

Not sure if this answers what you are asking but it should help

While I do believe your friend is making a double standard on his opinion, it is his opinion.

If those scary movies make him uncomfortable because of his faith, where his video games do not, that is his opinion and his choice. I don't like scary demonic movies, but I love scary demonic video games and I am an atheist.

If he doesn't want to see those kinds of movies anymore, see them with someone else I guess.

Maybe he's using the religion thing as an excuse? Maybe he doesn't like horror films but doesn't want to admit it?

Horror films effect different people in different ways. I personally love them, but I know a lot of people don't, maybe he just doesn't want to admit that.

While I do believe your friend is making a double standard on his opinion, it is his opinion.

If those scary movies make him uncomfortable because of his faith, where his video games do not, that is his opinion and his choice. I don't like scary demonic movies, but I love scary demonic video games and I am an atheist.

If he doesn't want to see those kinds of movies anymore, see them with someone else I guess.

I don't understand super religious people, they piss me off, sorry but it's true for me.

I always find that they always seem to make "non-believers" feel bad about themselves, kinda like gay people when you don't support them or whatever.

I don't respect an opinion that contradicts itself AND the person make that opinion refuses to learn why he has those opinions.

Doesn't matter what faith or non-faith that opinion is.

If you're bold enough to express an opinion, you better back it up tooth and nail - or re-work those opinions that reflect what reality is.

Here, he can flip-flop with his opinions.

Archived