The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Confused about Religion and what this means?

yawn.3x

Well thought out answer.

I started to think the same way. It almost seems as if he's trying to force it onto himself. I mean sometimes he tries to shove his religion on to me, and I can joke around with it sometimes. like; "Don't worry dude. I'll go make an appointment to talk to God and make sure he's cool with you playing video games." and he'll laugh along with the joke too.

But he'll slip up and occasionally shoot a.. rude remark? like the "I wish you would put your faith in somebody else"

another time he asked if I wanted to go to a church session? It wasn't church but like a group where they read a part of the bible and then translate that part into modern language, and I was working during the times of it and he said "if you truly believed and cared you would of made time" and "Somebody at the group said almost the same thing as you (was to busy to go to the group because of work/school/sports) and died a few weeks later of a heart attack."

Usually I just let it slide, he's been my bud since like grade 5 and I respect everyones opinions and beliefs, but this latest development, i'm trying to view it through his eyes, and another person linked part of the bible where it says its wrong; yet he still plays video games but won't watch horror movies so it confuses me.

As for the he's a better "Christian" then most; when he found out 2 of his friends were brought up Catholic; he refused to talk to them. He didn't hate them or have anything against them as people, but he couldn't "Stand to be around Catholics because it just infuriated him"

OP when someone is raised on a certain religion and ends up believing in it, you CANNOT reason with them.

It doesn't matter how many flaws you point out, once they believe in it, it's like talking to someone who refuses to listen to your reasoning.

Your friend seems to be putting his faith above everything else.

This isn't always a bad thing, but he is clearly setting himself limitations and in my humble opinion, that is no way to live your life.

I would kindly ask your friend if he can set aside his religion while hanging out with you. No references, no "wish you'd put your faith..." comments etc.

In exchange, you promise not to poke holes in his little fairy tales and hypocrisy and you two can just be friends and continue to enjoy each other's company.

It's a two way street, if he doesn't respect your religious beliefs (or lack thereof), he doesn't deserve yours back regarding his.

I would kindly ask your friend if he can set aside his religion while hanging out with you. No references, no "wish you'd put your faith..." comments etc.

In exchange, you promise not to poke holes in his little fairy tales and hypocrisy and you two can just be friends and continue to enjoy each other's company.

It's a two way street, if he doesn't respect your religious beliefs (or lack thereof), he doesn't deserve yours back regarding his.

Tit for tat? If it quacks like a duck? :lol:

And for the record it's neither. They ARE fairy tales and his friend IS being hypocritical. If he doesn't want it pointed out to him then he should KEEP HIS PERSONAL RELIGION TO HIS OWN PERSON. When you attempt to force you're religious beliefs and hypocrisy on others you best be prepared to defend them and for the appropriate backlash of facts and common sense on the other side.

Besides, I didn't say he had to word it like that, those are my words. :P By all means, let your friend know he's being a disrespectful, delusional hypocrite more "gently" OP ;)

The interesting thing is he's not calling "not watching horror movies" part of his *Religion*.

He says: "Religion is something you do at church. This is (not watching horror movies) more about my personal relationship with God. Religion is man made, i think, anyways. It's hard to explain I don't know the right words. It's not the religion we believe in, it's Jesus, Faith. Religion is what people call it."

What does that mean? Anybody able to interpret that?

Archived