257 replies to this topic

#181 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

The team was handed this game on a platter with the late 5 on 3 from the refs just unacceptable not to even get a chance on that. What happend to the Sedins seems like they lost a step just not playing like the Sedins of 2 years ago..
GO Canucks GO

#182 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

Blues are damn good. They play an amazing system and they all work hard.

PP was good, glad we tied it late, Luongo needed to be better, defence still hasn't played 60 minutes, Twins are dominant, I hate shootouts.

Onto Chi.
Posted Image

#183 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

Can we just stop this both goalies playing BS and just trade a damn goalie already? Like seriously, I'm sick of seeing a new thread pop up every time a starter is announced. I'm sick AV going to the next goalie each time that goalie does crap. It shows typical Canucks every time, losing faith in one, so off to the next. If we go in this years playoffs with both goalies, you can be sure that a cup is not coming here. We need another piece that will only come from a Schneider/Luongo trade.

It makes no sense carrying both into the playoffs. Make a trade to get a piece, for Lu or Schnieds...From what I seen, most cup wins come with one goalie all the way through.

If it were me, I would deal Schneider, you would have to think teams would offer more for him. But it seems like no team is in desperate need of a goalie, we will have to see at the deadline.

Edited by cmpunk, 17 February 2013 - 11:14 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#184 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

AV needs to mix up the shootout rotation.

Posted Image

#185 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

POPULAR

CDC as we lose 2 games after winning 6 straight:

Posted Image

Edited by Hyzer, 18 February 2013 - 12:00 AM.

#186 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

http://canucksarmy.c...ame-doesnt-work

Canucks Army game recap. 1st line dominated for the 2nd straight game, which is great to see! Canucks outchanced Blues 20-9 overall (13 in the 3rd period alone) - which is absurd.

Just ...... bad ...luck....

Edited by RunningWild, 17 February 2013 - 11:29 PM.

#187 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,937 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Guys worrying about Kassian please stop! The powerforwards we've gotten from Buffalo in previous years have all turned out great for us. Hopefully Kass can have the mean streak and grit of Pyatt and the shot accuracy and speed of Bernier.

In all seriousness don't worry about Kassian, guys like Clowe and Bertuzzi (in NYI) were like this before they became known as great powerforwards. I still remember watching Clowe looking like Neely one game to looking like Glass in another.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#188 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

What are you going to say? Luongo's incredibly tall - his 5-hole is just big. It's not his fault he's tall.

That said, he was very underwhelming tonight. It's am mystery as to who starts next game, since both goalies played quite badly in their last outings.

Since both goalies played meh, I think Schneider will start because Lu has already had a crack at the Hawks this season. IF Lu starts, I think it definitely says that the Canucks are thinking of Lu a bit more as the go-to-guy for this season.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 17 February 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#189 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

The lack of pure sharp shooters is pretty obvious in the shootouts. Luongo in shootouts is sad to watch for many years now.

Was Kassian put on waivers? Sure playing like it.

#190 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,866 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

Onto Chicago - the biggest game of the season without a doubt. They're going for history and we've got a chance to end their run. If AV is smart he'll go with this starting lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows (they're rolling right now)
Raymond - Kesler - Booth (Mason has been our most consistent scorer lately, he deserves this)
Hansen - Schroeder - Higgins
Kassian - Lapierre - Volpatti

Edler - Hamhuis (Edler on the left side, but it probably won't happen)
Bieksa - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev

Luongo

Luongo has to start. He is incredible playing in Chicago and this is a huge game - give it to the big-game goalie, not the inexperienced one whose confidence is shot right now after letting in 3 bad goals. Luongo always gets up for Chicago - he single-handedly won us our last game against them and he can do it again on Tuesday.
Posted Image

#191 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

I remember when Luongo used to be the best at shootouts, and every NHL coach wanted to have a goalie like him.
Posted Image

#192 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

I remember when Luongo used to be the best at shootouts, and every NHL coach wanted to have a goalie like him.

When was that?

#193 Molli

Molli

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

When has luongo ever been good at shootouts??
Posted Image

#194 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

When has luongo ever been good at shootouts??

He's 30 for 36 in his career. He's fine at shootouts.

#195 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

Now that we are playing the better teams there should be little doubt that this team is not good enough and needs some tweaking.
Does Edler know any other moves besides skating up to the opposition blueline and drop passing to someone else 20-30 ft behind him and letting them carry it in while he stands there motionless?
We might as well have had Finn or a statue stand in goal for the shootout! Luongo played great during the game but he was horrible on the shootout tonight. Our guys didn't exactly do anything to strike terror into the Blues goalie during the shootout either.
I hope they can get it done agaist Chicago.

#196 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

There's a difference between being '30 for 36' and being '30 and 36'.

30 for 36 = 30/36. Luongo has not won 30 out of 36 shootouts.

30 and 36 = 30-36 = 30 S/O wins and 36 S/O losses. A 30-36 record is not that great.

#197 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

Did Louie even move in the shootout ? It looked like someone had frozen his jockstrap ?

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#198 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

The one rebound goal was a solid pad/toe save with Lu stretched out those will always be juicy rebounds and you need your d-man to get those. Rebound and quick goal for the Blues player in front. To me, not a bad rebound because of the tough initial save made.

Lou said in post game he was not technically good on first 2 goals. I agree with him...time to get on board !

#199 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,168 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

Onto Chicago - the biggest game of the season without a doubt. They're going for history and we've got a chance to end their run. If AV is smart he'll go with this starting lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows (they're rolling right now)
Raymond - Kesler - Booth (Mason has been our most consistent scorer lately, he deserves this)
Hansen - Schroeder - Higgins
Kassian - Lapierre - Volpatti

Edler - Hamhuis (Edler on the left side, but it probably won't happen)
Bieksa - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev

Luongo

Luongo has to start. He is incredible playing in Chicago and this is a huge game - give it to the big-game goalie, not the inexperienced one whose confidence is shot right now after letting in 3 bad goals. Luongo always gets up for Chicago - he single-handedly won us our last game against them and he can do it again on Tuesday.

If AV is smart he'll realize Higgins is uncomfortable at RW and has said so, he'll also realize that Hansen is one of Vancouver's natural RWers.

He'll also realize Kassian is a RWer.

Also, Kassian still has the most goals on the team (tied with Mason), and so one bad game and he's demoted to the 4th line?

Aight.

#200 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

We're still 8-3-3 without our PP, with our D pooping the bed and with 2 top 6 out (well, 1 now) due to injuries.

We're fine. Honestly, if the D start playing a tighter game and our forwards keep clicking like we have so far (as well as our special teams), we'll be fine.

RELAX.

#201 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

4th all time in shootout wins among all goalies

#202 Kola Nuts

Kola Nuts

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

That was a tense game. Both teams played well. Shouted pretty loud when Raymond tied it up. Looking forward to CHI on tues!!!!

Posted Image

#203 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

4th all time in shootout wins among all goalies

How many current goalies in the league have been around since the shootout was implemented?

#204 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

Lou said in post game he was not technically good on first 2 goals. I agree with him...time to get on board !

My opinion on the first goal was yes it's nearly impossible to not give up a rebound on that type of shot but a goalie of Lui's calibre needs to be able to direct the rebound to the boards and when he's on his game he does. This time he directed it right in front and bam easy pick up for the Blues player.

#205 sting

sting

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Great game tonight.... Better execution and we would have had this one. Shots directed at net were 67-43 Canucks. St.louis with Hitch are a hard working up tempo nasty piece of business which battle for every inch of ice. It was interesting to note how our young players struggled to adapt at times to the constant puck pressure. Unfortunately 2 mistakes by our young players Tanev and Kassian ended up in the net. Faulting Lou for this game is beeing hypercritical. Raymond is on fire....so great to see after the last 2 seasons of misfortune. The Swedes and Burr seem to have hit there stride. Players that struggled were Hamhuis and Kassian especially. Hansen and Garrison fought the puck but put in solid work. Kesler was showing a little rust as well IMO. Can't wait for Chicago.

#206 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Our defensemen are the problems. None of the 6 defensemen is playing well......especially Hamuhis and Elder.

#207 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

Oshie could've shot a beachball through Luongo's legs and it would've went in on that shootout goal.

If Luongo was standing in the railroad tracks, the train would have gone through.

#208 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,261 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

Can we just stop this both goalies playing BS and just trade a damn goalie already? Like seriously, I'm sick of seeing a new thread pop up every time a starter is announced. I'm sick AV going to the next goalie each time that goalie does crap. It shows typical Canucks every time, losing faith in one, so off to the next. If we go in this years playoffs with both goalies, you can be sure that a cup is not coming here. We need another piece that will only come from a Schneider/Luongo trade.

I agree, I said we should have went back to Schneider last game, then gave Lu the Chicago start.

Oh well, but I agree I would personally like a deal that makes sense ASAP, but if it doesn't come (And it doesn't seem likely right now) Then I guess we have no other choice, as there really isnt a specific need we need to address with this trade. Other than getting the best futures possible IMO.

zackass.png

#209 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

There's a difference between being '30 for 36' and being '30 and 36'.

30 for 36 = 30/36. Luongo has not won 30 out of 36 shootouts.

30 and 36 = 30-36 = 30 S/O wins and 36 S/O losses. A 30-36 record is not that great.

which is weird cause his record in penalty shots is awesome

#210 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

If teams keep playing Kesler like they did tonight, he's not gonna make it to the playoffs. He was targeted all night.

Edler was just brutal all game. He needs to get it together, or Ballard and Tanev should take his minutes.

Garrison is being underutilized completely on this team. He was brought in for his shot. The powerplay needs to revolve around that. Work with him till he gets it right, don't just bench him...

Unfortunately, AV dosn't "work with" guys. He just decides who goes where. He is not a development/teaching kind of coach. He expects the players to know what to do and to do it. Heck, he doesn't go in the dressing room but leaves it up to the players to figure it out.

Garrison has lots of potential but if he can't figure it out on his own, he'll be demoted and then benched like Ballard was and Kassian is. AV is a "what works right now" coach. He isn't interested in what may pay dividends later.
IMHO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.