The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raymond is back to being Raymond

DhillonCanuck

admittedly i don't get all the games down here, but every game i've seen, he's done it the majority of the time on the rush. he's looked better once they setup in the zone, but it's like he's physically incapable of rushing towards the center of the ice.

As much as I hate the rule, it was the right call.

Just my opinion, if the contact isn't severe enough to warrant a penalty and doesn't impede the goaltender's ability to make a save (as was the case with Raymond's waved-off goal), it should be a good goal. Unfortunately, the NHL doesn't agree.

Meanwhile, we've seen Luongo get bowled over at least once every game without the player getting penalized (Backes, Toews, etc.). It's complete garbage ...

admittedly i don't get all the games down here, but every game i've seen, he's done it the majority of the time on the rush.  he's looked better once they setup in the zone, but it's like he's physically incapable of rushing towards the center of the ice.

Wrong. He had a career season, then broke his hand in either pre-season or camp and started to slump. It was clear he was in discomfort because his shot didn't look the same. Then, he busted his back. After he came back, he played like he had in the career season, but clearly something happened. It's likely he was still in discomfort because he lost mobility, couldn't stop on a dime like he had, and was afraid of contact. Usually when recovering from an injury we try to do too much too soon. Almost everyone does this. He probably found that a lot of that stuff was just a little too much. If it was a knee or a wrist or an elbow, you might be able to get away with it. But it was a spinal injury. That is just something you can't frack around with. It's just too dangerous.

Now that he's had proper time to heal, he's back to where he left off when he was healthy. I always knew this is how he would play, and I've said as much. So have a lot of others.

I find it sad/strange when people throw loyalty out the window when someone is injured/in need. You go out there, put everything you've got into it, going so far as to become physically injured and it amounts to nothing if you don't turn around the next day and start producing like nothing happened.

I just hope those people get more compassion/loyalty than they give if/when they are ever in need of it. Deserved or not.

Ditto.

And Raymond is scoring now, so people start to see his value, but he has always back-checked very responsibly - and his speed in that context is suffocating. He's a very valuable two way player - the Raymond, Schroeder, Hansen line swarms their opposition and with Hansen's grit and Raymond heady defensive play, there is enough to supplement Schroeder (who has good pound for pound grit himself) so that he doesn't have to deal with too many mismatches down low - teams don't get a lot of opportunity to set up and move the puck against these guys. I really like this line, and judging by his play, it looks like Hansen does as well.

Ditto.

And Raymond is scoring now, so people start to see his value, but he has always back-checked very responsibly - and his speed in that context is suffocating. He's a very valuable two way player - the Raymond, Schroeder, Hansen line swarms their opposition and with Hansen's grit and Raymond heady defensive play, there is enough to supplement Schroeder (who has good pound for pound grit himself) so that he doesn't have to deal with too many mismatches down low - teams don't get a lot of opportunity to set up and move the puck against these guys. I really like this line, and judging by his play, it looks like Hansen does as well.

Archived