82 replies to this topic

#61 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

I really hope this elevated play we're seeing from Raymond isn't because his contract is up after this year...

Yes because it couldn't possibly be anything to do with finally getting over his back injury and in fact being injury free for the first time in over 2 years.................could it?
Kevin.jpg

#62 randsy44

randsy44

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

Yes because it couldn't possibly be anything to do with finally getting over his back injury and in fact being injury free for the first time in over 2 years.................could it?

Correct me if I'm wrong but his play was slumping before his injury too no?

Edited by randsy44, 19 February 2013 - 03:46 AM.

#63 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:47 AM

If there was were injuries that a player like Mase could not use, its a broken back, and shortly before that, an effed up wrist.

When you see a player playing much different, in a negative way, they are hurt.

This is lost on so many Canuck fans.

Edited by BedBeats™2.0, 19 February 2013 - 04:20 AM.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#64 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:11 AM

No he is not. The Raymond I knew was a perimeter player who was prone to wiping out, I don't recognize who this player is but I like what I've seen so far.
OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

#65 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

he still skates to the outside and shoots from an impossibly horrible angle nine times out of ten.

Edited by avelanch, 19 February 2013 - 07:56 AM.

#66 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,914 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

he still skates to the outside and shoots from an impossibly horrible angle nine times out of ten.

That's not at all what I've been seeing, but it doesn't surprise me that people think this way. It was grossly overstated in previous years as well.

From my perspective, when Raymond takes the puck in deep, he's been looking to feed a forward in the slot, or a trailing defenseman. In fact, he'd probably have a lot more assists, if his linemates had a bit more finish.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#67 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

No he does not.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#68 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,538 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

admittedly i don't get all the games down here, but every game i've seen, he's done it the majority of the time on the rush. he's looked better once they setup in the zone, but it's like he's physically incapable of rushing towards the center of the ice.

#69 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

Depends what injuries you are talking about, I believe Raymond has quite a few in the past. I would also suggest form can be affected by more than injury...........line mates for example, but that is opening a different can of worms.
Kevin.jpg

#70 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

As much as I hate the rule, it was the right call.

Just my opinion, if the contact isn't severe enough to warrant a penalty and doesn't impede the goaltender's ability to make a save (as was the case with Raymond's waved-off goal), it should be a good goal. Unfortunately, the NHL doesn't agree.

Meanwhile, we've seen Luongo get bowled over at least once every game without the player getting penalized (Backes, Toews, etc.). It's complete garbage ...

It looked to me like the puck crossed the line before contact was made. Is there a rule about that? I'm being serious.
Upon further inspection, he did make contact. He wouldn't have made a play on the puck regardless of contact, but he did get bumped.

Edited by Vansicle, 19 February 2013 - 09:27 AM.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#71 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

Wrong. He had a career season, then broke his hand in either pre-season or camp and started to slump. It was clear he was in discomfort because his shot didn't look the same. Then, he busted his back. After he came back, he played like he had in the career season, but clearly something happened. It's likely he was still in discomfort because he lost mobility, couldn't stop on a dime like he had, and was afraid of contact. Usually when recovering from an injury we try to do too much too soon. Almost everyone does this. He probably found that a lot of that stuff was just a little too much. If it was a knee or a wrist or an elbow, you might be able to get away with it. But it was a spinal injury. That is just something you can't frack around with. It's just too dangerous.
Now that he's had proper time to heal, he's back to where he left off when he was healthy. I always knew this is how he would play, and I've said as much. So have a lot of others.

I find it sad/strange when people throw loyalty out the window when someone is injured/in need. You go out there, put everything you've got into it, going so far as to become physically injured and it amounts to nothing if you don't turn around the next day and start producing like nothing happened.
I just hope those people get more compassion/loyalty than they give if/when they are ever in need of it. Deserved or not.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#72 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,721 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

It did slump but really only in the playoffs and really it slumped as the team slumped.

People will say they were upset with him that season but really I don't remember as many complaints or as much hate for the guy until he came back and started playing a weak perimeter game.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#73 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

No he is not. The Raymond I knew was a perimeter player who was prone to wiping out, I don't recognize who this player is but I like what I've seen so far.

Well you never knew him. Go and look at the early videos.........that is not a perimeter player.
Kevin.jpg

#74 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,914 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

admittedly i don't get all the games down here, but every game i've seen, he's done it the majority of the time on the rush.  he's looked better once they setup in the zone, but it's like he's physically incapable of rushing towards the center of the ice.

Must be something wrong with your feed, or your eyes. I've seen him take the odd low percentage shot, but only when there is no other play available. The "majority" of the time when he takes the puck deep, he's looking to pass and has done so quite effectively.

That being said, the play he favors more often, is the stop (sometimes spin) inside the opposition blue line and look to feed a streaking linemate or trailing defenseman.

This is the kind of play, BTW, that has uninformed posters calling him a "perimiter" player. What they fail to realize is that it is far more effective than trying to force the play into the middle of the ice against a defender who outweighs him by 30 lbs...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#75 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,769 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

Wrong. He had a career season, then broke his hand in either pre-season or camp and started to slump. It was clear he was in discomfort because his shot didn't look the same. Then, he busted his back. After he came back, he played like he had in the career season, but clearly something happened. It's likely he was still in discomfort because he lost mobility, couldn't stop on a dime like he had, and was afraid of contact. Usually when recovering from an injury we try to do too much too soon. Almost everyone does this. He probably found that a lot of that stuff was just a little too much. If it was a knee or a wrist or an elbow, you might be able to get away with it. But it was a spinal injury. That is just something you can't frack around with. It's just too dangerous.
Now that he's had proper time to heal, he's back to where he left off when he was healthy. I always knew this is how he would play, and I've said as much. So have a lot of others.

I find it sad/strange when people throw loyalty out the window when someone is injured/in need. You go out there, put everything you've got into it, going so far as to become physically injured and it amounts to nothing if you don't turn around the next day and start producing like nothing happened.
I just hope those people get more compassion/loyalty than they give if/when they are ever in need of it. Deserved or not.

Ditto.
And Raymond is scoring now, so people start to see his value, but he has always back-checked very responsibly - and his speed in that context is suffocating. He's a very valuable two way player - the Raymond, Schroeder, Hansen line swarms their opposition and with Hansen's grit and Raymond heady defensive play, there is enough to supplement Schroeder (who has good pound for pound grit himself) so that he doesn't have to deal with too many mismatches down low - teams don't get a lot of opportunity to set up and move the puck against these guys. I really like this line, and judging by his play, it looks like Hansen does as well.

#76 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

Trade Booth if he doesn't perform and make Raymond a lock on that second line! He deserves it :)

At least give Booth a chance to prove his worth first. He's had to adjust to our system and overcome two injuries already, it's not like we've seen his true potential yet.

Edited by Bieksa's Quote, 19 February 2013 - 12:53 PM.

"If a 6-foot-8 guy who can't skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal."

#77 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Ditto.
And Raymond is scoring now, so people start to see his value, but he has always back-checked very responsibly - and his speed in that context is suffocating. He's a very valuable two way player - the Raymond, Schroeder, Hansen line swarms their opposition and with Hansen's grit and Raymond heady defensive play, there is enough to supplement Schroeder (who has good pound for pound grit himself) so that he doesn't have to deal with too many mismatches down low - teams don't get a lot of opportunity to set up and move the puck against these guys. I really like this line, and judging by his play, it looks like Hansen does as well.

I think they are doing a semi-good job out there. All of them need to settle down and get some finnish to it. Way too many good scoring chances are going to waste. A tad bit less speed and more controlled possession from all three and we could really see something good out of it. Schroeder is a rookie, and I understand that everything won't go so smoothly for him, ups and downs are gonna come. Where again Hansen, should really, really hit the net when he get's the chance. And that has often been because of the 'uncontrolled' high speed and the result of that.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#78 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Ballard and Tanev have played against the weakest competition, so of course they're our steadiest defensive pair.
I would prefer to keep the Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen line together

Someone is not paying attention, it may have been the case for the first couple games. AV for the last 5 or more games has used ballard and tanev against any line on the ice. He said it himself he does not worry which D pair is on the ice in any situation or against any line. He does not match his D pair.

#79 freebass

freebass

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

It's nice to him play with his confidence back, I think the early season goal did wonders for his game.

I never thought this forum would ever be any good but this whole penis thing is pretty awesome.

I said we lost to USA because of ARE GOALTENDING!!! do you know how to read?

#80 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Ditto.

Nice to know I'm not alone.
Posted Image

#81 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hopefully he can score a few against the Blackhawks tonight.

canucks141.png

#82 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

I will correct you, because he had 7 points in the first 11 games or something in 2010-11 before he broke his hand. So no, he was not slumping before the injury. The injuries actually hampered his game. Surprised?

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#83 VancouverStyle

VancouverStyle

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

The extra time off has done wonders for him to heal his injury, and playing over seas
has allowed him to fine tune his game and get some of his confidence back. I like what
i have seen from Raymond in this short season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.