The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Everybody loves Raymond...

Qanux

Has this guy tuned up his game or what?  Way to give us a point tonight!  After watching the 5-3 go to waste I was really hoping to see Raymond come over the boards and bingo, he didn't let the opportunity slip.  In the past, we might have seen that shot go wide or hit the goalie, but it's like night and day the way he plays now compared to last year or the year before.  For two years, people have been saying that all Raymond does is skate circles and then lose possession, but now he an offensive threat when he has the puck.

It may well be that he's finally recovered from his back injuries and this lockout gave him more time to train and add muscle because he looks a lot stronger on the puck.  I also think changing his linemates has benefited him so I'd like to see him with Shroeder and Hansen; a line where his speed can be used.

I've always said that Raymond is useful despite his drop-off in offensive production (from the 25-goal season) because of his defensive capabilities, puck possession, and his ability to gain the offensive blue line.  If we have the puck, the other team likely won't score.  And yes, he's also made blunders too, none more vivid than like the last playoff game against the Kings when it looked like he went for a hip-check as the last man back and missed, which led to a crushing goal.  I think he has been one of the most plesant surprises this year and all the Raymond haters out there should acknowledge the improvement he's shown this season.  We should all hope that he continues to excel because he can add so much to the team.

Never brings pucks to the net? Oh you mean like how he positions himself in front of the goalie? Or how he spins off a defender and makes some quick stickhandles and pushes towards the blue paint?

Raymond has been getting his groove back ever since his injury and has started to add depth to the Canucks. His skating style alone is enough to make him noticeable. Love his work and it's great to see him hitting the back of the net.

Keep it up Mason!

You, no NHL defenceman by your own admission are going to stop one of the 8 or 10 fastest hockey players in the world?

Are u at least 16? Then I gave you a chance... :blush:

I don't. He just plays along the board, never drives the net or brings the puck towards the net!

I am no NHL defenseman, but I think I know how to contain him when he has the puck.

"And yes, he's also made blunders too, none more vivid than like the last playoff game against the Kings when it looked like he went for a hip-check as the last man back and missed, which led to a crushing goal

You are referring to game 4 not the last playoff game which was game 5. We won game 4 by 3-1. So to recap your version of events, it was such a crushing goal we won 3-1...................history rewritten.

In any case, the expression should read "lead up to" not "lead to"

Watch the play again there is ample opportunity to avoid the goal but the defender and goalie folded. If you blame Raymond for that goal then every player who is at fault in any penultimate failure to stop an opponent is actually the one responsible for the goal...........that is a hell of a lot of players.

Raymond took the stick because of the manner he chose to defend the play...........he could have adopted 3 other less spectacular methods and not much would have been made of it. (well other than the fact it was Raymond in the first place and the hate he was getting at the time)

Last night was a perfect example of utter dross from quite a few of our "defenders" leading to the goals but none of them happened to be Raymond and none happened to be spectacular so they all get a free pass.

Raymond is a great fast forward and it really upsetting to see that everyone gave up on him after he BROKE HIS BACK. It makes me angry that everyone can just jump back on his wagon and say oh yeah raymond is awsome! so good! keep him! love him! when just recently everyone was like trade him for an 8th round draft pick... you people are sad.

Raymond is an amazing talented forward, shame on anyone who doubted him

I have a lot of respect for an athelete who can recover from such a serious injury and get his game back. Many fans overlooked the degree of injury, length of recovery (hence extremely dimished core strength) and balance issues. Mason's game is all about his skating ability, which incredibly, doesn't seem to have been effected.

I suspect his brave battle back, has given him a renewed confidence and passion for the game.

As fans of this team, we could look at this experience as an example of being more patient with the players. Sometimes it takes a while for a guy to get into 'the groove'.

Raymond is a great fast forward and it really upsetting to see that everyone gave up on him after he BROKE HIS BACK. It makes me angry that everyone can just jump back on his wagon and say oh yeah raymond is awsome! so good! keep him! love him! when just recently everyone was like trade him for an 8th round draft pick... you people are sad.

Raymond is an amazing talented forward, shame on anyone who doubted him

Archived