67 replies to this topic

#1 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

This isn't to try and pretend he's great at them but he's not as terrible as many believe him to be.

He's 4th all time in shootout wins.

Best goalies at shootouts like Hedberg, Lundqvist, Howard, Niemi, Fleury...they all have sv%'s in the the .760's which is very good for shootouts. Luongo's career sv% in shootouts is .668. Not among the best but certainly better than the bottom half including Schneider.

Luongo has never been great at shootouts but he's not as bad as some here make him out to be. That assumption has mostly been made because of the amount of them the Canucks have lost since the shootout was implemented and if you look at the history of Canucks shootouts it's crazy how many have been where Luongo let in 1 of 3 and Canucks shooters got a big fat zero.

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

POPULAR

The first goal he let in tonight is all the evidence I need to dispute that!

But honestly, he isn't that good. I'd say he's around average. Quite often it is our teams inability to score in shootouts is more of an issue than goaltending is.

Jagermeister.jpg

#3 How the west was won

How the west was won

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

You're right, he isn't terrible, but his game play is solid, and one would think his shootout play should be similiar

#4 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

The first goal he let in tonight is all the evidence I need to dispute that!

But honestly, he isn't that good. I'd say he's around average. Quite often it is our teams inability to score in shootouts is more of an issue than goaltending is.

Agreed and that's all I'm trying to get across. Nothing more

#5 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

He's average.

The first goal.. Oshie just played it perfect. He slowed down like hes going to do a "Patty Kane" deke then quickly snaps it. Real fast snap. The second one he just didn't get over far enough.

I'm more concerned with our shooters chances... aka Kesler/Burrows

Edited by Hyzer, 18 February 2013 - 12:33 AM.

#6 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

POPULAR

Luongo's favourite shootout tactic

Posted Image

Although his move (or lack thereof) on Oshie tonight could be my new favourite

Edited by SOB for MVP, 18 February 2013 - 12:33 AM.

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#7 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

We should worry about our shooters, before the goalies.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#8 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

Yeah, he's just okay.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#9 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

he is either amazing and stops them all or he's terrible and does what he did tonight

so overall he's average at best when it comes to shootouts

#10 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

We should worry about our shooters, before the goalies.

pretty much , to win in shootouts we basically need schnieds or luo to stand on there head or burrows to get that backhand move off

if those dont happen we lose , kes being back kinda helps but i really wish the sedins would try something good (or try at all), they both just move the puck from left to right till the goalies come out a bit and they fail to put it through his five hole , try shooting maybe

Edited by cIutch, 18 February 2013 - 01:10 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

This isn't to try and pretend he's great at them but he's not as terrible as many believe him to be.

Best goalies at shootouts like Hedberg, Lundqvist, Howard, Niemi, Fleury...they all have sv%'s in the the .760's which is very good for shootouts. Luongo's career sv% in shootouts is .668. Not among the best but certainly better than the bottom half including Schneider.

Luongo has never been great at shootouts but he's not as bad as some here make him out to be. That assumption has mostly been made because of the amount of them the Canucks have lost since the shootout was implemented and if you look at the history of Canucks shootouts it's crazy how many have been where Luongo let in 1 of 3 and Canucks shooters got a big fat zero.

I hate to point this out, because Lou has played very well this season - until the shoot-outs - and I'd rather have the best goalie in regulation time than in shoot-outs any day.

But let's not blind ourselves to the facts - Luongo is terrible at shoot-outs. The last full season he was 46th out of 66 goalies in save % - he was not even in the top 30 for crying out load - which would incude starting goalies - he was middle of the pack among backups. At home, Luongo's save % last year was .476 - he stopped less than half of the shots he faced! His all-time record is a dismal 30W and 36 losses - fine for a bottom of the pack goalie. Shoot-outs is just not his thing.

#12 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

Best goalies at shootouts like Hedberg, Lundqvist, Howard, Niemi, Fleury...they all have sv's in the the .760's which is very good for shootouts. Luongo's career sv% in shootouts is .668. Not among the best but certainly better than the bottom half including Schneider.

Luongo has never been great at shootouts but he's not as bad as some here make him out to be . That assumption has mostly been made because of the amount of them the Canucks have lost since the shootout was implemented and if you look at the history of Canucks shootouts it's crazy how many have been where Luongo let in 1 of 3 and Canucks shooters got a big fat zero.

I guess that includes Luongo himself.

Posted Image

#13 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

ehhh vs chicago he stared down toews , kane and sharp and stopped everyone

lets not act like shootouts arnt more then a flip of the coin

a valuable flip of the coin

good thing were in the northwest division
Posted Image

#14 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

We should not worry about shootouts, we have sucked since the have been implemented, yet back to back prez trophies, Clearly they don't mean much and I think clearly prez trophies don't mean much either anymore.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#15 GSS Corp.

GSS Corp.

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

He's average but we can't win the shootout if our shooters don't score either.
Posted Image

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

#16 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

Luongo is not the worst in shootouts, and he is usually good in them. However, the point you made that statistics determine how good or bad a goalie is in a shootout is quite misleading. With that logic, one can state Jake Allen is one of the best shootout goalies, because he has a 1-for-1 100% shootout win rate.
Posted Image

#17 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

6 games under .500 for the biggest contract ever given an NHL goalie is bad.

#18 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:17 AM

Luongo was phenomenal in that SO against Chicago, but usually he is average.

#19 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

yes because a goalie's salary is based on shootout performance

#20 hawkee

hawkee

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

Did you see him getting ready for the shootout and he almost got run over by the zamboni? It was close but luckily it went right through his legs. Loungo is a great goalie but that first shootout goal - give me a break. Lou sucks on the shootout!

"___________
| \_________ |
|___________|"

#21 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

The team isn't built for shootouts. I doubt the whole team actually spent time to practice their shootouts.

And I am perfectly fine with that. Why? Because there is no shootouts in the playoff.

I can't even find a reason why I care about luongo's shootouts performance.

#22 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

The team isn't built for shootouts. I doubt the whole team actually spent time to practice their shootouts.

And I am perfectly fine with that. Why? Because there is no shootouts in the playoff.

I can't even find a reason why I care about luongo's shootouts performance.

pretty much , id rather them work on the powerplay and penalty kill ect and drop the point right now

change that when our division gets good and those shootouts really matter

for now we have the luxury of not really relying on them like alot of teams do

might catch up to us a few years down the line but for now its all about a cup

Edited by cIutch, 18 February 2013 - 01:47 AM.

Posted Image

#23 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

Luongo is not the worst in shootouts, and he is usually good in them. However, the point you made that statistics determine how good or bad a goalie is in a shootout is quite misleading. With that logic, one can state Jake Allen is one of the best shootout goalies, because he has a 1-for-1 100% shootout win rate.

The ones I point out as having the best sv% in them have played a minimum of 20-25 shootouts.

#24 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

Currently 8 goalies in the league that have a higher cap hit than Luongo and half of those 8 have a worse shootout sv% than him.

#25 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,682 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

He either stops them all, or stops none. At least he's good in some shootouts, unlike our shooters...

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#26 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

He either stops them all, or stops none. At least he's good in some shootouts, unlike our shooters...

That's right and our goalies pretty much have to stop them all or we're screwed. So many of the shootouts they've actually won throughout the years were where Luongo stopped all 3 shooters and our shooters were able to muster up 1 goal. If he even lets in 1 goal it's likely over even if one of our 3 has scored because it's slim to none that they're getting another one.

#27 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,682 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

That's right and our goalies pretty much have to stop them all or we're screwed. So many of the shootouts they've actually won throughout the years were where Luongo stopped all 3 shooters and our shooters were able to muster up 1 goal. If he even lets in 1 goal it's likely over even if one of our 3 has scored because it's slim to none that they're getting another one.

Yea it's sad that it's actually hard to think of times where we've scored more than 1 goal. Happens about once a season at the most.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#28 Rypien.4.Ever

Rypien.4.Ever

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:34 AM

Shootouts are so geared towards shooters in the first place; regardless of line, anyone in the NHL has world class skill. People just see the record before the shootout, 30-36 or whatever it is and naturally assume he sucks. There is no stat for how many games have been lost with Luongo in net with 3 Canuck shooters not scoring.
The twins will get traded for this pick. You can quote me .

-Some idiot named Shredder talking about Connor McDavid.

#29 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

Shootouts during practice should be mandatory.

Posted Image

#30 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:41 AM

Lou turned into a statue on that one shootout attempt that went through his five hole, did he even move?? Put Schneids in for shootouts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.