The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo does not "suck" at shootouts

rkoshack

The team isn't built for shootouts. I doubt the whole team actually spent time to practice their shootouts.

And I am perfectly fine with that. Why? Because there is no shootouts in the playoff.

I can't even find a reason why I care about luongo's shootouts performance.

The team isn't built for shootouts. I doubt the whole team actually spent time to practice their shootouts.

And I am perfectly fine with that. Why? Because there is no shootouts in the playoff.

I can't even find a reason why I care about luongo's shootouts performance.

Luongo is not the worst in shootouts, and he is usually good in them. However, the point you made that statistics determine how good or bad a goalie is in a shootout is quite misleading. With that logic, one can state Jake Allen is one of the best shootout goalies, because he has a 1-for-1 100% shootout win rate.

That's right and our goalies pretty much have to stop them all or we're screwed. So many of the shootouts they've actually won throughout the years were where Luongo stopped all 3 shooters and our shooters were able to muster up 1 goal. If he even lets in 1 goal it's likely over even if one of our 3 has scored because it's slim to none that they're getting another one.

Shootouts are so geared towards shooters in the first place; regardless of line, anyone in the NHL has world class skill. People just see the record before the shootout, 30-36 or whatever it is and naturally assume he sucks. There is no stat for how many games have been lost with Luongo in net with 3 Canuck shooters not scoring.

Shootouts are so geared towards shooters in the first place; regardless of line, anyone in the NHL has world class skill. People just see the record before the shootout, 30-36 or whatever it is and naturally assume he sucks. There is no stat for how many games have been lost with Luongo in net with 3 Canuck shooters not scoring.

We need to worry about our shooters first... We were the first to shoot if we had scored maybe that would've taken pressure off luongo... Our inability to score in the shootout is killing us not just luongo... We need to score in order to win and AV should change up the shooters have players that don't take shoot outs... Cause it's so predictable as to what moves Burrows Raymond Kesler Edler are going to do... Go with Schroeder

Higgins

Lappy

Can't just blame luongo for the shootout

We need to score too

Ps this game shouldn't have gone to the shootout in the first place... to many chances to win in the 3rd but couldn't capitalize. Give props to jake Allen on that save on Burrows in overtime

In our last 2 shootouts, the Canuck shooters are 1 for 6. Yet somehow our record in the last two shootouts are 1-1. Thank Luongo for that.

Our shooters are far worse than our goalies in the shootout. The pressure is always on our goalies to come up big, and even if they do we don't have enough skill up front to score one-on-one. So no, Luongo does not suck at shootouts, our forwards do.

I'm no goalie, but I felt he got himself too far out too soon, making the shooters angle easier. I think a goalie should advance 2 or 3 feet but he should try to do it when the forward is nearer so that he doesn't have time to change angle.

Anyway our forwards are duff at shootouts........I always assume that unless Lu or Cory save all 3 we have lost. Then I don't get so disappointed.

If we can't score, we can't win.

Exhibit A: 2011 Stanley Cup Finals

Exhibit B: 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Exhibit C: Shootouts

And the list goes on... You can blame Luongo for all you want, but the fact is, if our goalie is standing head over heels trying to salvage the team from their inability to score, yet he still lets in a couple, it's his fault. Hell, if Schneider was in net tonight instead of Luongo, we wouldn't be having this discussion because Schneider is our saviour for now right? Gimme a break.

Archived