The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo does not "suck" at shootouts

rkoshack

Yeah, our goalies could up their game when it comes to the shootout but what about AV's choices for our shooters. Why not throw Kassian, Schroeder, Jansen, Higgins, etc in instead of these guys who can't get it done? Plus as proven last night other teams have the info on our shooters and if we keep using the same ones over and over the outcome is not only predictable to us but to the opposition goalies too.

Last year, only one of our shooters was in the top 30 in shoot out goals, Burrows.

This year, though not many games played, we have none in the top 30.

As far as goalies, Luongo was 10th last year and Schneider 29th.

This year Schneider is 8th (only 1 game) and Luongo is 23rd (4 games).

Those are the facts and they are undisputed.

Why do all you care about shootouts?! We sucked last season, and the year before, but we still had the most points in NHL back to back years! So clearly those lost points mean squat, and since winning 2 prez trophies for most points, I think it is clear those don't mean anything to a playoff run.

During the regular season, fans act like every point is so important, come playoff time "oh regular season means nothing" and it really does mean nothing. Who remembers lost shootouts come playoff time!!? Our team is not good at shootouts clearly, but I guess some fans would rather have us win shootouts than playoff games.

I also thought it would be interesting to see how many times the Canucks provided Luongo with 0 goals in support during the shootout, so using the websites hockey-reference (data from 08-09 - 12-13) and covers.com (06-07 - 07-08) I actually slogged through every box score to find out. It's actually pretty interesting.

Since joining the Canucks in 06-07, Roberto Luongo has played in 58 shootouts.

In those 58 shootouts, the Canucks put up 0 goals in 19 of them, and only 1 goal in an additional 21 games. That's 1 goal or less in the shootouts for 40 / 58 shootout games Roberto Luongo has played. I'm just going through the record he had in the 1 goal games now, as well as looking how the Canucks fared in shootouts in front of their other goalies since the shootout was added. I'll post again when I figure it out if anyone is interested.

EDIT:

Well, that was unexpected. His record is actually 11 wins and 10 losses in the games where Vancouver scored only 1 goal.

DOUBLE EDIT:

His record in shootouts when the Canucks score 2 or more goals is 14-4. In games where Vancouver actually scores in the shootout, his record is 25-14. So removing the games where it's not possible for him to win, he actually hasn't really fared that bad in the shootout.

I wonder if there was any sort of confidence level that his teammates could get a goal for him if it would change anything.

I would say Luongo is average at shootouts. He's not terrible and he's obviously not great...But the bigger concern to me is the fact we can't score a goal.

I absolutely hate the shootout. It's a sideshow game that hands out a valuable 1 point. If we are going to have 3 skaters and a goalie determine the outcome I would rather it go to 3 on 3 after 5 minutes...If it's a tie after the next 5 then so be it. 1 point each.

i can careless if Luongo sucks at the shootout he's very good during the breakaway from what i recall and that's all i care about. Shootout it's more for shooters to show off their skill anyways.. and as someone pointed out earlier Luongo's shootout stats when his team actually scores at least ONE goal is above .500 sure if he woulda stopped one last night it would have been nice.. but our shooter doesn't even give him a chance to win. our team have almost no one that can dangle and deke anyone out.. they can snipe but that doesn't really help u in a shootout.

Archived