The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler

L'Orange

What is the purpose of this play, (hinge/drop pass) other than to confuse the fans and slow down the rush? Seriously. Puck protection? Puck control? What am I missing here? It seems to eliminate any rush intensity.

Looks like a staring contest. If anyone knows, please explain.

I have been saying Edlers overrated for a couple years now and all i ever heard from most is that he is almost or is Norris trophy worthy. Lol what a joke.

I see everyone else is finally noticing that Edler brings more harm then good and his good games are few and far between.

Personally would have traded Edler rather then resign him and especially to that foolish huge contract. We are in trouble counting on him and having him play all the minutes he plays this guy is going to kill our chances of success.

I think MG made a huge mistake evaluating Edler niw we are stuck.

I have been saying Edlers overrated for a couple years now and all i ever heard from most is that i am crazy and he is almost or is Norris trophy worthy. Lol what a joke.

I finally see everyone else is finally noticing that Edler brings more harm then good and his good games are few and far between. Its about time.

Personally would have traded Edler rather then resign him and especially to that foolish huge contract. We are in trouble counting on him and having him play all the minutes he plays this guy is going to kill our chances of success.

I think MG made a huge mistake evaluating Edler now we are stuck with his useless soft a$$.

I have been saying Edlers overrated for a couple years now and all i ever heard from most is that i am crazy and he is almost or is Norris trophy worthy. Lol what a joke.

I finally see everyone else is finally noticing that Edler brings more harm then good and his good games are few and far between. Its about time.

I think MG made a huge mistake evaluating Edler now we are stuck with his useless soft a$$.

It's a discussion board. People come here to discuss.

Why is there a topic for different D-men? Different people have different opinions, some want to talk about Hamhuis, some Edler or whatever. Since they are Canuck players in the Canuck section on a Canucks board, I see no problem with that. Also no one is saying blow the team up but when a player is playing below his abilities, it's natural for fans to talk about it.

I am curious to people that hate these topics, if you all had omnipotant control of this board, what would the allowable topics be?

Sadly the Canucks lost their second game in a row today. I have noticed something similar in each one of the losses.

Alex Edler is one the ice and making bad plays. His passing is spot on if his teammates were the skates of the Blues.

He is weak in his own zone and absent physically. He laid out one hit, and was pummelled repeatedly. He was on the ice for the tying and winning goals against the Stars, and was on for two today. I actually witnessed Luongo shove him out of his way.

This is the play of the highest paid defensman on the team? Can somebody explain what Edler's strategy is? Or just put up another impotent facepalm?

The defense is leaderless. Edler should be based on his salary, but he isn't even close. Of the top four he is the largest, yet is also the least physical. Bieksa leads the team with 24 hits and has found his game.

You'd think making five million a year would motivate someone. Give them some consistency.

This is Edler's year to prove himself or I certainly hope he'll be on the trading block.

Yeah I know there are homers here who will defend Edler to the death. Blame Luongo or the Sedins rather than looking at the real issue that the "defense by committtee" idea only gets you so far and that eventually you need a leader on the blueline.

Edler is a forward with an identity crisis. He can score with that cannon of a shot, but he can't clear the crease to save his life. He is this team's most glaring weakness. I've wanted him to prove me wrong, since 2010.

He hasn't.

I can already hear le Choir de Deutsche Baggio piping up.

I have been saying Edlers overrated for a couple years now and all i ever heard from most is that he is almost or is Norris trophy worthy. Lol what a joke.

I see everyone else is finally noticing that Edler brings more harm then good and his good games are few and far between.

I think MG made a huge mistake evaluating Edler niw we are stuck.

Rick Bowness is an absolute idiot for putting Edler on the right side. We have no reason to have him there now - Hamhuis proved he can comfortably play on the right and Edler clearly isn't playing well there. Him being on the left side also allows him to rush up the ice and use his pass to create opportunities - left hand shot down the left wing. He's a much better passer than a shooter, so this makes sense on the offensive and defensive side of the puck.

I never liked what Bowness and Brown have done to this team - it's not AV's job to coach special teams and the defence, which are our two biggest concerns this season and even spanning back to the last half of last season.

Get rid of these bone-head assistant coaches and Edler will play better.

Edler was recovering from injury at the end of last year, and had some trouble / was tentative with decision making. I agree it seems to have passed directly into this season, so I think it is just confidence. He can still find his groove, he just needs time.

Do we really care if he is a bum the first half of this season but finds his game by the end and for the playoffs? Give him a chance... he needs 20-30 games to get on track this year...

Archived