The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler

L'Orange

i wouldn't single edler out he's been the same as the other d-men on this team with the exception of perennial whipping boy ballard (who's looked good) and his partner tanev. the "top" 4 have all looked rough making poor decisions, horrible passes and missing the net with shots. time for AV to send a message and let one of them watch a game he could say he drew the name out of a hat from his top 4.

With the way Edler has played?? He scored 49 points last year and has 10 points in 14 games this year along with being well above average defensively. If he was a defensive stud, which seems to be what a lot of you are expecting out of him, he'd be a 7.5 - 8 million dollar defenseman. As of now, he's being paid a very reasonable $5 million a year to skate on the 1st pairing and anchor both special teams units. He's above average at all those things and he's also on the verge of being a 50 point defenseman. These kind of defenseman are highly coveted league wide. The fact you think Edler is only worth $2.5 mill shows how limited you are in your perspective. Get real.

I knew a couple Edler loving clowns would be all over that statement lol.

The fact is dmen in this league are a dime a dozen who would put up huge points with the Sedins so that doesn't wash with me.

There should be a lot more to a top 4 minutes 5 million dman then Sedin aided point totals and Edler has been severely lacking in all the other departments.

With Edlers complete useless play all over the ice and as wimpy that he is he sure wouldn't be in my top 4 making 5 million on a cup contending team because he is a complete liability.

You guys are blind.

Doesn't really matter to me what you guys say. Under-appreciation and over-criticism of our own players is common-place among the Canucks fanbase.

Your guys' assessment of Edler is about as useless and meaningless as Jason Botchford's newspaper columns.

Doesn't really matter to me what you guys say. Under-appreciation and over-criticism of our own players is common-place among the Canucks fanbase.

Your guys' assessment of Edler is about as useless and meaningless as Jason Botchford's newspaper columns.

No, I don't think he's at the top of his game at the moment. That's not what this discussion is about, though. It's about his abilities in general. The way some folks around here talk, it's like Edler is an all around horrible defenseman, which is just so completely false. I wish I had a better grasp on advanced statistics so I could provide some facts but I'm totally lost with that stuff. All I know is that often times when I watch Edler, I see a sizeable, calm defenseman who has his blemishes in his own zone from time to time, but whose good qualities far outweigh the bad. He's a decent skater for his size, his outlet passing is very good (I notice several of his assists come off sweet outlet passes to forwards rushing up ice) and he's not afraid of physicality, although he's not a mean defenseman who necessarily initiates the phsicality all the time.

In short, he's far from the perfect defenseman, but folks, that's why he's NOT one of the best defensemen in the league. You guys criticize people for thinking highly of Edler, yet at the same time you hold him to those high standards. Doesn't compute.

Zdeno Chara

Duncan Keith

Drew Doughty

Ryan Suter

Shea Weber

Erik Karlsson

Kris Letang

Alex Pietrangelo

Mike Green

Those are basically the only 9 defensemen I would take over Alex Edler at the moment. Green is debatable, but I think he, like Edler, gets criminally underrated as a solid defensive defenseman. Victor Hedman is also fast entering this discussion. He's actually a lot like Edler but bigger and much better skater.

There are also some defensive defensemen that I would consider taking above Edler, like Girardi and McDonagh on the Rangers, or a very good PP quarterback like Andrei Markov.

Anyway, Edler is probably a top 15 defenseman league-wide, is what I'm saying, given his complete package of size, above average but not elite defensive abilities, offensive abilities, and his ability to eat up a ton of minutes and play in every situation.

Sadly the Canucks lost their second game in a row today. I have noticed something similar in each one of the losses.

Alex Edler is one the ice and making bad plays. His passing is spot on if his teammates were the skates of the Blues.

He is weak in his own zone and absent physically. He laid out one hit, and was pummelled repeatedly. He was on the ice for the tying and winning goals against the Stars, and was on for two today. I actually witnessed Luongo shove him out of his way.

This is the play of the highest paid defensman on the team? Can somebody explain what Edler's strategy is? Or just put up another impotent facepalm?

The defense is leaderless. Edler should be based on his salary, but he isn't even close. Of the top four he is the largest, yet is also the least physical. Bieksa leads the team with 24 hits and has found his game.

You'd think making five million a year would motivate someone. Give them some consistency.

This is Edler's year to prove himself or I certainly hope he'll be on the trading block.

Yeah I know there are homers here who will defend Edler to the death. Blame Luongo or the Sedins rather than looking at the real issue that the "defense by committtee" idea only gets you so far and that eventually you need a leader on the blueline.

Edler is a forward with an identity crisis. He can score with that cannon of a shot, but he can't clear the crease to save his life. He is this team's most glaring weakness. I've wanted him to prove me wrong, since 2010.

He hasn't.

I can already hear le Choir de Deutsche Baggio piping up.

No, I don't think he's at the top of his game at the moment. That's not what this discussion is about, though. It's about his abilities in general. The way some folks around here talk, it's like Edler is an all around horrible defenseman, which is just so completely false. I wish I had a better grasp on advanced statistics so I could provide some facts but I'm totally lost with that stuff. All I know is that often times when I watch Edler, I see a sizeable, calm defenseman who has his blemishes in his own zone from time to time, but whose good qualities far outweigh the bad. He's a decent skater for his size, his outlet passing is very good (I notice several of his assists come off sweet outlet passes to forwards rushing up ice) and he's not afraid of physicality, although he's not a mean defenseman who necessarily initiates the phsicality all the time.

In short, he's far from the perfect defenseman, but folks, that's why he's NOT one of the best defensemen in the league. You guys criticize people for thinking highly of Edler, yet at the same time you hold him to those high standards. Doesn't compute.

Zdeno Chara

Duncan Keith

Drew Doughty

Ryan Suter

Shea Weber

Erik Karlsson

Kris Letang

Alex Pietrangelo

Mike Green

Those are basically the only 9 defensemen I would take over Alex Edler at the moment. Green is debatable, but I think he, like Edler, gets criminally underrated as a solid defensive defenseman. Victor Hedman is also fast entering this discussion. He's actually a lot like Edler but bigger and much better skater.

Oh my frigging god.

No. That is just flat out silly

Hilarious...chastise folks for having homer glasses, but all you are doing is packaging Eddy's dumb plays as his performance as a whole.

As ive said elsewhere, i almost dont blame people who do, because his follies are so comical, but he has NOT been as bad as people make him out to be.

He has been making some solid defensive plays more than boning up.

This just about sums it up nicely. Definitely makes mistakes, but is also a dependable top pairing defenseman. It's hilarious how some people here see his mistakes and come to the conclusion that he's an awful defenseman. Same people that call Luongo a terrible goalie, at least before he became popular again this year. Fickle ???? Canucks fans.

Archived