114 replies to this topic

#91 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

The guy just has no confidence... Oh and if i ever see another ???? back-pass on the PP entry my god...help us.

#92 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

Edler...known for his accurate "drop passes" during the power play and he his inconsistent defensive coverage.

At the moment at least. He needs to pick up his game and be more careful. He and Tanev (bit of a surprise) were the ones looking very shaky and made poor plays. That wasn't a very good pairing. Keep juggling, AV.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#93 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

Edler misses "The Sami Salo effect"

#94 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

Its like he's skating in concrete mix. He comes out from behind the net, seemingly towing an anchor, and either he just refuses to react, or doesn't even notice that he's being checked. Even his head moves around slow when he's looking for the puck, which ofcourse is between his skates.

#95 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

Out of all our Dmen he's the slowest to move the puck. He thinks if he holds on to the puck alittle longer while a forechecker is coming, that the guy will just fly by him.

#96 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

I didn't even see tonight's game but I can envision Edler's mistakes.
  • Fails to cover his man
  • Plays tag with him from behind the net to a perfect angle 10 feet from the goal
  • Let's him take his time to shoot
  • Looks shocked at the goal and ignores the "I want to tear your face off" look from Luongo
  • Waits until the next faceoff to unleash his awesomely momentum killing drop pass to a suprised fellow d-man
  • Plays a consistently predictable and inconsistent game
So glad to know that no NTC or NMC was signed. We are free to trade him at any time. That is a good thing.

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 27 February 2013 - 12:11 AM.

Posted Image

#97 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

Its like he's skating in concrete mix. He comes out from behind the net, seemingly towing an anchor, and either he just refuses to react, or doesn't even notice that he's being checked. Even his head moves around slow when he's looking for the puck, which ofcourse is between his skates.

He is special.
Posted Image

#98 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,542 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Here's a fun fact we could have picked Karlsson over Hodgson.

:bigblush:

So could have 14 other teams.

Another fun fact, 29 other teams could have drafted Edler before us as well.

Isn't trivia (and hindsight) wonderful?

It's a fact: more people seem to notice Good Eddie instead of what a minority of us (albeit growing, from what I can tell) are trying to signal here (Bad Eddie). Take the blinders off people - look at Phoneix' winning goal tonight (3-2 @ Rogers) and objectively assess Edler's play. He makes mistakes like that all the time, and tonight it did cost us plenty.

Edler WILL unfortunately make mistakes like this in the playoffs. By the time time more people see this problem, it could be too late.

Don't get me wrong - I am not picking on everyone after a bad result. For instance, Tanev had a somewhat shaky one tonight, but he is usually very steady and fights hard to recover when he makes mistakes - which is awesome in my books. Edler should learn a thing or two from his younger colleague.

He got stuck between a poke check or body check and hanging back to defend. It happens. No one's been claiming Edler is a defensive beast, although he can have very strong games at times, but the one part of good Edler that always seems on is the 50 point guy that really helps our offence.

Edited by elvis15, 27 February 2013 - 12:14 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#99 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Out of all our Dmen he's the slowest to move the puck. He thinks if he holds on to the puck alittle longer while a forechecker is coming, that the guy will just fly by him.

I think Eddie would rather be flying on the back of that giant white flying dog from Neverending Story.
Posted Image

#100 CanuckofSteel

CanuckofSteel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

I didn't even see tonight's game but I can envision Edler's mistakes.

• Fails to cover his man
  • Plays tag with him from behind the net to a perfect angle 10 feet from the goal
  • Let's him take his time to shoot
  • Looks shocked at the goal and ignores the "I want to tear your face off" look from Luongo
  • Waits until the next faceoff to unleash his awesomely momentum killing drop pass to a suprised fellow d-man
  • Plays a consistently predictable and inconsistent game
So glad to know that no NTC or NMC was signed. We are free to trade him at any time. That is a good thing.

You have failed because Edler actually does have a NTC on his new contract, which kicks in at the end of the season.

Also, yes Edler has not been as good defensively but I would say there are many reasons for that.

1. They are/were trying to play him on the right side, which he is just not capable of doing.

2. The Sami Salo effect. The departure of Sami Salo has affected Edler big time, but may also have messed with all of our defence men.

3. No stable partner. It seems that Edler has always had someone with him who provided support for the way he plays. Examples are Salo, Ehrhoff, and Ohlund.

4. More offense. The coaching staff may be wanting more offense from Alex which in turn could have messed with the defensive side of his game. For all we know he could be turning into a Offensive Defenceman, instead of being a Two-Way Defenceman.

I believe that some of these may be the reasons why Edler has not been performing that well. Offensively he has been good, but the defensive part of his game may be taking a hit. He may need a more stay at home type partner or they need to tell Edler to tone down his offensive play and to go back to focusing more on defence.

Edited by Sydney Fife, 27 February 2013 - 04:11 AM.

slo802.jpg

Thanks for the sweet sig Justdean10

#101 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

You have failed because Edler actually does have a NTC on his new contract, which kicks in at the end of the season.

Also, yes Edler has not been as good defensively but I would say there are many reasons for that.

1. They are/were trying to play him on the right side, which he is just not capable of doing.

2. The Sami Salo effect. The departure of Sami Salo has affected Edler big time, but may also have messed with all of our defence men.

3. No stable partner. It seems that Edler has always had someone with him who provided support for the way he plays. Examples are Salo, Ehrhoff, and Ohlund.

4. More offense. The coaching staff may be wanting more offense from Alex which in turn could have messed with the defensive side of his game. For all we know he could be turning into a Offensive Defenceman, instead of being a Two-Way Defenceman.

I believe that some of these may be the reasons why Edler has not been performing that well. Offensively he has been good, but the defensive part of his game may be taking a hit. He may need a more stay at home type partner or they need to tell Edler to tone down his offensive play and to go back to focusing more on defence.

That is truly bad news that he has a NTC.

Edler is a grown man who is being paid $5,000,000 a season. Rolling out this laundry list of excuses as to why he watches opposing forwards take shots on net is nothing new and indicates to me that you are a homer.
Posted Image

#102 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

I want to remove his brain, and replace it with Tanevs. Norris after Norris.

#103 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Alot of the Canucks have been playing sub par lately, not just Edler. Since I love stats so much I decided to throw out somestats while you throw him under a bus:

Edler is tied for 6th place in goals scored.

Edler is 3rd on our team for points.

Edler is the same size as Kassian.

Edler is one of only 4 Europeans on the Canucks.

Edler has the 2nd best Cost per Point on the defense.

Edler is the 8th best Cost per Point on the ENTIRE roster.

Ballard is near the absolute bottom in all of these categories.

#104 CanuckofSteel

CanuckofSteel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

Edler is a grown man who is being paid $5,000,000 a season. Rolling out this laundry list of excuses as to why he watches opposing forwards take shots on net is nothing new and indicates to me that you are a homer.

Really?

This just pretty much shows that you have hate towards Edler and don't really care about what may be causing his defensive issues. Being paid $5,000,000 a season doesn't mean he can't have problems, also he is only making a little more than $3,000,000 this season. To me it does not seem as if you are a true fan. Instead it seems as if you just like to pick on players who are under performing at the moment and when they start playing well you have nothing to say.

slo802.jpg

Thanks for the sweet sig Justdean10

#105 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,542 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Not yet he's not. The new contract doesn't kick in until next season. If you'd check CapGeek you'd know these things (NTC, contact details, etc.).

I want to remove his brain, and replace it with Tanevs. Norris after Norris.

But you'd have to leave the offence part. Or else we'd still just have Tanev, but with better hair and looks.

Edited by elvis15, 27 February 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#106 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

But you'd have to leave the offence part. Or else we'd still just have Tanev, but with better hair and looks.

Duh, how do think Karlsson won the Norris? It's all about the flow lol.

Plus if Tanev had Edlers shot, I think we would see his #'s improve, not to mention the added physicality of a real mans body.

Edited by CanucksSayEh, 27 February 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#107 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

So could have 14 other teams.

Another fun fact, 29 other teams could have drafted Edler before us as well.

Isn't trivia (and hindsight) wonderful?

I think you may have taken me seriously, you shouldn't do that.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#108 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

All I can say is Edler looks incredibly week without Salo.
He's beginning to look like one of those defensemen that only look good playing with one partner.
Although they should of already know this as previous defense partners experiments never worked.

#109 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,542 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

All I can say is Edler looks incredibly week without Salo.
He's beginning to look like one of those defensemen that only look good playing with one partner.
Although they should of already know this as previous defense partners experiments never worked.

One could say the same thing about Weber in Nashville.

#110 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Edler has been our worst dman this season. Every game he makes 3-4 mistakes at the least. Is his stick to short or long? Is he not in shape? Is he injured? WTF is wrong with him?
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

#111 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Never, NEVER been sold on Edler, and him being a schmuck the year he signed a $5 million contract isn't making it easier for me to like him.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#112 Bertuzzipunch

Bertuzzipunch

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

you guys sound like its a surprise that he has these mental lapses on the back end. He has been like this his whole career thus far. The good overweighs the bad tho. He does frustrate the crap out of me a lot during the season with some really boneheaded plays.

Posted Image

#113 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Really?

This just pretty much shows that you have hate towards Edler and don't really care about what may be causing his defensive issues. Being paid $5,000,000 a season doesn't mean he can't have problems, also he is only making a little more than $3,000,000 this season. To me it does not seem as if you are a true fan. Instead it seems as if you just like to pick on players who are under performing at the moment and when they start playing well you have nothing to say.

I don't hate Alex Edler, so you can put your hanky away and dry your eyes Sydney. I don't even know the man. For all I know he's probably a fine gentleman.

Every player goes through lapses in their career, but Edler's are getting worse with each season. Yes, he scores goals with his big shot, yes he is good on the powerplay. However he is one of the weakest in his own end. He is a defenseman right? Shouldn't he be able to defend the net and the goalie? Does it really matter what side he is one for him to clear the crease?

And for every goal he has, there are at least two he is on the ice for that belong to the other team.

I understand that his new contract starts next year, but if I am not mistaken, the ink is dry on it, so he will be paid. Right? Shouldn't he show the team why they invested so much money in him?

I have been a fan of the Vancouver Canucks since the days of Stan Smyl and Richard Brodeur when I was just a wee lad. I have lived through the misery of the late 80's and 90's. I do appreciate that we have one of the best Canucks teams right now.

Players like Henrik Sedin, Ryan Kesler, Roberto Luongo, and Daniel Sedin are truly elite players who have brought this team to where it is today. A perennial contender. They have poured everything into games and have dominated the oppositon. Edler hasn't. All one has to do is watch a game to see where Edler's effort level lies. He is woefully inconsistent and has been his entire career. He has underperformed for a few years now, and is really the only player I "pick on". Back passes to Anze Kopitar during the playoffs are the epitome of Edler under pressure for me.

But by all means keep pumping his tires as he make blind passes and craps the bed in his own end. Blame Luongo or Schneider for the loss, when really it falls squarely on the shoulders of the defense. How many saves do homers expect these guys to make when the defense can't clear the net?

But you're right Sydney, I'll take it easy on him. After all, Salo left, so Edler is all confused now and needs some support, right? Poor confused Edler.

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 27 February 2013 - 05:29 PM.

Posted Image

#114 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

One could say the same thing about Weber in Nashville.

Except for the fact that players entering Nashville's blueline actually take Weber seriously. Weber is a far better and more dominant defenseman who takes the play in his own end seriously. I can't say the same about Edler
Posted Image

#115 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Not yet he's not. The new contract doesn't kick in until next season. If you'd check CapGeek you'd know these things (NTC, contact details, etc.).

Thanks tips.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.