The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Pathetic NW Division

Mustapha

I guess a few of you didn't understand my post.

My point was this: Unless the Canucks get overtaken by a NW division team, they have an automatic playoff spot.

The chances of that happening are not likely, so what is this team playing for? How will they be able to elevate their play come playoff time? Where's the adversity? I guess it's a 48 game preseason for the Canucks.

The other divisions in the West have at least 2 teams that battle for the division, that's healthy for competition. The Canucks don't have that, and it will work against them later on.

I guess a few of you didn't understand my post.

My point was this: Unless the Canucks get overtaken by a NW division team, they have an automatic playoff spot.

The chances of that happening are not likely, so what is this team playing for? How will they be able to elevate their play come playoff time? Where's the adversity? I guess it's a 48 game preseason for the Canucks.

The other divisions in the West have at least 2 teams that battle for the division, that's healthy for competition. The Canucks don't have that, and it will work against them later on.

You should have been here a week or so ago when we were 6-0.

Oh, no we're big enough...

Oh no, we're not needing any trades...

Oh no, all is good with Lou...

Oh no, we have the best defence in the league...

:lol:

Well we are good, and a VERY talented team. But most certainly we still need to improve and our road is easier playing so many games in a weak division.

We are too deep on left wing. Too deep on left D. Lets call it very good in goal. That's opportunity to pull off a trade that helps in my books!

Whichever left side D has to slot into our right side has been uncomfortable. We also need a puck moving right handed shot. Both needs could be accomplished in one right D acquired from that depth if its right.

We need at least another big fast forward (plus Booth) who plays hard! Put it this way; if Burrows or even Hansen did exactly what they do but was 210 lbs we would have Dustin Brown, possibly a play off MVP, and likely a Cup! You debate whether its a centre, or RW. To me either would do (and the centre could play wing as required) enough to bust match ups, would be available at the deadline, and allow our talent to surface!

Someone needs a tampon. It's that time of month apparently.

On to the topic. Yes the NW is crap...now. It used to be a fairly tough division when col was a powerhouse, Calgary was dangerous with a younger iginla and kipper, and the wild were an amazing lockdown team with their trap style of play. Central division was the crap division at one point with no one even close to Detroit.

I agree that the nucks seem to get a false sense of security after playing within the division and need a couple of games like the last two to wake up. I would love to see Edmonton live up to their potential and the wild to get to where they are building. It would be nice to have hard fought games all year.

The whole weak division argument is just that, weak. We only play 4 MORE GAMES in our own division than we do outside of it. The benefit of playing in a weaker division is minor at best. I have done the math the if you removed all of the Canucks games against the NW for the season and averaged out their remaining win percentage for the season, the Canucks are still 1st in the league.

On top of that there are some top teams whom actually struggle against the NW. Boston, NJ, Chicago, LA, Wash, Montreal all had losing records to the NW last year, and there were a good 4 more that were barely over .500.

this is almost the same post i made a few days back about how easy our schedual is this year and lack of competition could hurt us befor this last 2 games i said these 6 games are probably the hardest stretch we will see all year and ,so far we are 0-1-1 .March is gross only 4 games vs teams currently situated in the playoffs we dont have another tough stretch of games until the end of april where i think we have another tough 6 games ... and it does matter every year in all sports people say "you are what your record says you are" but that is never the case .. broncos this year had the easiest schedual in the NFL they rolled hard to go one and done in the playoffs... last year canucks squeeked by bad teams down the stretch into the playoffs got smoked by LA . and in this shortend season having a terrible divison does matter as the % of games played vs your divison is far greater than any other season. and people keep bring up stats from last year.... that was last year we got knocked out first round its over... its this year now and we are under .500 outside our division but im sure that will improve as in march we play columbus 3 times and LA 2 times.

I believe the biggest problem is the fact that the NW division opponents have shotty goaltending and weak offences. The Canucks rarely face a quality goaltender - sure some backups have had great games against us, but we struggled in the playoffs against elite goaltenders like Thomas and Quick because we rarely face off against these type of guys. That being said, the same can be said for other teams facing the Canucks.

I believe our defence really gets exposed outside of the division. Despite some good offensive stars, the Northwest are pretty poorly coached teams outside of Vancouver, with no big names behind the benches anymore, so they don't know how to dissect our defence. However, when we play well-coached teams like St. Louis, Chicago, Los Angeles and Boston their star coaches rip us apart, especially over a 7 game series where our weaknesses are well highlighted.

I do not disagree with your statement as a whole.

But I am in the camp that believes we need to do more to be a serious play off threat, not just good enough to win the NW division.

When we went to the final;

We had (started) with Samuelsson instead of Booth. Well one reason we lost, and the real reason Mikael was let go is he was injury prone. But where he does not have Booth's athleticism, he was his equal in size, added substantial moxy and he was a RW which kept our dearth of talented left side speedsters free to get ice time. Net; I'm happy with Booth if we replace the RW or Kass stands back up to his play a few weeks ago.

We had Erhoff instead of Garrison. There may be a way to make Garrison as valuable. He is 220 lbs and can move bodies in front of the net which was an important question when we lost to Boston. But there is no doubt Erhoff added flight to our game. Edler can score his points, but does not have the same ability to help us get the puck moving up ice. We still are, possibly, the top D in the league defensively (combined with goaltending). But missing Erhoff we are nowhere near the high flying top offensive, punishing PP team we were.

Net of the last paragraph; trade one of Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler or Ballard for a puck moving, right handed shot, right D. Gotta chuck in a goalie to get him; so be it! We also die the instant Bieksa, our only right handed shot of substance, gets hurt. We have to get better at moving the puck from the back end!

We had Torres and Manny instead of Schroeder and Higgins. Guys, Higgins may be a better player than Torres, but he is nowhere near as valuable. Torres would not just rock Thornton, he was big enough he could render him ineffective. We need that size and ability to match up back in our line up. I'm at odd's as to how, or whether we should replace Manny as Schroeder does have value.

We had Tambelini instead of Higgins. Well, lets call this one a win and a hint as to where Higgins should really be playing if we scored another big forward! Ah, we would be lucky to have a guy like Higgins be able to step up from the 4th line but thats the position we need to be in!

Net of the whole conversation?

Lou + Ballard for Mike Green and Mo Jo (as much O as Schroeder + 20 lbs and 5 inches and more potential). U guys debate whether we get a 1st; I want to win now. Mike Green instantly makes us that high flying team which scores, his value is lower, perhaps he's likely expendable with Carlson and Orlov. Add a big RW at the deadline covered by the cap hit of whoever (inevitably) is hurt.

Or on the other hand, make the playoffs and everyteam that makes the playoffs has a chance to go on a roll then and win the cup. Thats what makes hockey the most exciting sport. Have the best team on paper? if they're not clicking come playoff time = no cup.

We have seen hot goalies single-handedly drag their teams to cups and we have seen bad goaltending destroy powerhouse teams chances of winning as well.

So really none of what you says makes sense or matters since they play all the western teams, it takes a team coming together at the right time, being healthy and perhaps some luck to win the cup. All Gillis and Co can do is ice a team that makes it to the playoffs to compete for a cup year after year and that is the best chance of success. We can't worry that the rest of the division isn't up to making the playoffs, that just means (which I don't buy that argument anyways) we get another chance at the real season.

How's this for research;

6 game wins streak; Minny, Minny, Cgy, Edmonton, Col = 5 div teams + shootout win versus non division Chicago.

2 games against non div since = loss and shootout loss.

Earlier losses; SJ, Anaheim, LA... catch any trend?

Division still = (rough guess) 40% of our games, maybe 45...

I'll take em! :rolleyes:

If true, good post and great research.

First of all if you had any knowledge about hockey and Columbus you would know it was sarcasm when I said CBJ would pbbly make the playoffs.

Second, They were NOT 9-11 against the NW you goof. They were 9-9-2.

smells like a troll? says the guy with false facts and 3 posts coming here to pick a fight.

At least get your facts right you clown. I posted the link only 4 posts up, right below the one you quoted. It's not like you had to search for the info. moron.

9+2 is= 11 moron.. great sarcasm.. i simply meant we ONLY play teams in the west so far you MORON.. so of course we play teams from our division more.. almost like its a shortened season or something.. derrrrr. next u gonna say every team who plays toronto should make the playoffs in the east too? stupid logic thats all

Archived