The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where oh where is Kassian gone

Felix  Potvin

Which four; Daniel, Henrik, Burrows and Hansen I presume?

I'd love to include Kesler in that and in reality he very much is; when healthy... I have my fingers crossed there.

Look; here is my real position in this thread, call it a response to the OP (would appreciate your thoughts on which 4 though TML);

I'm starting to think Kassian is lacking purpose because he's not playing with the Twins. Don't get me wrong, he does need to earn his shifts. But because the Twins are so good it's obvious where you should go and what you should do.

The point is the Twins play gives Kass something specific to do, and he goes out and does it. But Kass may not (lets call it is not) be mature enough to create the structure on his own for other players. He just has the soft hands to take advantage. People expect him to be a play maker (a huge expectation is he will be the passer for Booth/Kess), but he needs to play with guys who help control the puck and can feed off his big body. Playing with Higgins does bugger all cuz he's also a guy that digs out the puck and goes to the net.

Another key point; people are in love with Burrows with the Twins. But we LOST the last two games. St Louis and Dallas are bigger than all the NW division chumps we clocked in our 6 game streak. I think we can keep purpose in a guy like Kassian by playing him some shifts, every night, with the Twins. It also mucks up the rotations a guy like Hitch was throwing at us. Kass needs to play with guys who give him purpose.

Once he's flying, he'll still be getting it done, but demanding Schroeder, Raymond also fly from slot to boards, boards to corner, behind the net; rotate and catch people as they are cutting. And of course Burr, when he goes down to a 2knd or 3rd line these days (check last years run up to the play off's) does exactly that and gets other lines into the game.

We need to mix and match with Kass and Burr taking shifts with the Twins. It's how you control match ups and get everyone going!

Honestly, we have just four forwards, tops, that we can count on for game-to-game consistency.

Everyone else goes on hot and cold streaks.

Raymond might be hot now and Kassian might be cold, but that can change in a week.

But let's keep our fingers crossed on Booth coming back with a purpose and becoming another consistent forward. That would be sweet. I have my doubts though.

the only reason the management keeps playing this guy is because they don't want to admit they lost the trade

hodgson > kassian any day

hodgson makes other players around him better a solid play maker with a brain

angers me canucks traded away a future legend

The fact he isn't with the Sedins anymore might have something to do with where the points have gone, just a theory. Seems like Burrows' production is through the roof lately though, must be a coincidence.

Seriously though, Kassian is still playing really well. His role is different now as he's on a different line (or lines). He's doing good. Still not great defensively, but he's young, first full pro season, it'll come.

Easy gunner!

I was against the trade when it happened, still question it. But not because Kass is a washout; the suggestion is stupid; just like Dave Bolland! :P

He can be just as valuable for us, and has shown glimpses of that already. I think Kass's development needs to be getting 5 or 8 shifts a game with the Twins to continue learning how to play. Then put his big arse wherever it's needed (and sometimes it is needed with Danny and Hank), 3rd line, to take care of some biz (hello Eager), 2knd line, wherever...

And really Hodgson is a 1st line centre because he is on a team in a mini-rebuild. He's not the top line centre in LA, or Philly or NY, here or on any of the top contenders. They are hoping he, and his team, develop into what you are incorrectly saying he is.

the only reason the management keeps playing this guy is because they don't want to admit they lost the trade

hodgson > kassian any day

hodgson makes other players around him better a solid play maker with a brain

angers me canucks traded away a future legend

Chris Neil. 3rd line player is what I've all ways said Kassian would develop into. That's a compliment because I think Neil is great for his role.

Right now he's not there. It will take him a couple of years to develop into a Chris Neil.

CDC is too quick to anoint ppl as the next coming of ..... Just a couple of days ago I asked who would pass the puck on the 2nd line and someone called Kassian an incredible play maker, several ppl backed this poster up.

Fan boys get too excited with one pass or one goal. Kassian is not a top 6 player, he should be on the 3rd or 4th line.

Fair enough I guess, it's only a matter of probably a few games until he'll score a couple goals have a big fight or huge hit and someone starts a KASSIAN RULES!! thread and the discussion will move there for a week or 2. then he'll slow down a bit again and we'll have another one of these threads.

maybe one day people will understand that consistency is an issue for more then half the league (especially the young guys). Otherwise they'd all make 5 million+

Glad we can reach some common ground. If a mod wants to act by creating a thread called "Kassian's Inconsistency Issues" into which these redundant threads -- which I agree that they are redundant -- into, then I'm all for it. If the mods put aside the time to moderate the number of topics that have a common theme, then power to them.

My beef is with people who are not mods, and thus have no power, entering every thread and calling it redundant. Just report it. If the mods see that it's the same users, then lock the individuals who are repeat offenders from making topics for a while. Not from posting, but making topics.

Yes. Please, by all means, report redundant threads. Leave it up to the mods to organize these boards. I would just like to understand why you feel the need to post your thoughts on redundant threads in every thread that is redundant. Just PM the mods, or propose to become one who operates in this department.

If these threads can be organized by mods, I'll be more than happy.

There, was that so hard? This, I can agree with.

I think Kassian is a player that will need to be very carefully coached. I hope AV can handle that. It seems to me like Kassian is having a hard time deciding what his role actually is. He needs to know exactly what he is going to do when he steps on the ice. I think the mixing of the lines because of Kesler's return, speedy 3rd line success, and Burrows taking back the 1st line (which I agree with) are all affecting his chemistry in a negative way.

AV needs to figure out (and actually observe, not just decide and set it in stone blindly) exactly what Kassian is going to do, and where he is going to play (not the 4th line! :mad:). Kassian needs an objective, not to just be told "go do good." Without an objective Kassian looks lost.

Prime example: Schroeder -- objective: prioritize defense, and pass to Raymond. He is succeeding because he is doing this. And he knows that to do this, he needs to forechack hard, because that is a good offensive defense. It's also a good way to get the puck, open space, and given to Raymond. Schroeder has put together the pieces to complete his game because it revolved around an objective.

The thing with this objective that was a mistake in the past with certain of our players was that when this objective is to "shutdown player A", then you're playing "Player A"'s game.

Kassian has no objective. His he a hitter? Fighter? Playmaker? Net crasher? Shooter? I don't even know right now. If he gets told to "make space and pass to Kesler", similar to Schroeder, then he'll know that hitting makes space. Board battles and cutting into the slot creates space. With a little communication with Kesler, Kassian should know where in this open space he'll be. This is obviously contingent on Kesler-Booth duo, since he'll be back.

Example 2: Cody Hodgson -- What was his role? Does anybody remember what his role was? Work on D and make plays with his revolving door linemates? It was never clear because he never had chemistry. Kassian is falling in that same hole.

As much as I'm sure everybody hates to hear me say at this point: it can be attributed to a coaching issue. Although, at this time, only to a certain extent. As has been pointed out in this thread, consistency is an issue with most young players. Kassian falls in this category.

Also, for clarification: my analysis of Kassian here wasn't all a response to you elvis15. I just thought I'd point that out, cuz sometimes when I respond and follow it up with a long post, people think the whole post is directed at them :P

I disagree with you, I think players already have rolls they play and it's the GM's and coaches job to play players in the rolls that are best for the type of player they are. So you made a good point what is Zacks roll?

The Canucks got him because they wanted a hard hitting power forward. We all know he has the skills if he chooses to use them he just has to have it made plane as day that the only way he stays on the team is by working hard well like this Schroeder kid you speak of. Play him on the 4th and make him earn it, it's what he needs even if its not what you want.

Archived