The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where oh where is Kassian gone

Felix  Potvin

This shortened season is great for Kassian. Gives him a good taste, worst case scenario he ends up working his ass off on the fourth line. He'll have another off season to work on his decision making and hopefully through his workout regiment he can find new levels of consistency and continue improving year by year.

This year he is MUCH better than last. We can only hope for such strides each year.

Also:

Before Elvis15: EVERY post was on topic and focussed.

After Elvis15: 18 posts hijacked by his high horsed sidetracking shenanigans.

#LeaveItToTheMods

Was it over when Elvis15 bombed the thread?

This shortened season is great for Kassian. Gives him a good taste, worst case scenario he ends up working his ass off on the fourth line. He'll have another off season to work on his decision making and hopefully through his workout regiment he can find new levels of consistency and continue improving year by year.

This year he is MUCH better than last. We can only hope for such strides each year.

Also:

#LeaveItToTheMods

Don't you think you're assuming a lack of direction on AV's part? We don't really know what he's told or hasn't told Kassian about his role.

As for Kassian's 3 line changes, they're easily explained. AV wanted to find out, right away, Kassian's potential for offense. Kassian, obviously, had great success there, but also more importantly for the long run, that he had the offensive smarts -- puck protection/shielding, going to the right areas in front of the net and in the slot, passing/cycling -- to succeed there. Next up, AV wanted to see what Kassian could do with a defense-first combo (3rd line), and then that got changed when Kesler returned, and a more complex two-way responsibility was tried.

It all points to AV wanting Kassian to realize that every component is needed. I think it serves to make a case that AV thinks Kassian could be a complete player, and wants to give him a chance to display his abilities in a variety of ways. Maybe AV's asking too much of him right now, but when the line-up is set, I think we'll see AV using him in a third-line role, and if he can contribute more consistently offensively (probably not going to happen this year), then to the 2nd line. If he fails on the third, then back to the Wolves.

Possibly. However, there really hasn't been enough time in any given role for him to get acclimated. I think he's being switched around too frequently. AV needs more patience with prospects. Schroeder is very lucky he had instant chemistry with Raymond.

Also:

#LeaveItToTheMods

It seems to me that Kassian has just forgotten what his role is on the team...If he does not play a physical crash and bang,he's just not effective ..it's as simple as that!..After his stint with the Sedins,maybe he thinks he's a finesse player with size...He's already shown what he is capable of.

It's funny how some are not happy because he is not Bertuzzi in his prime.

Kass is what? 22 years old? Did you see Bert at 22? Kass is on track at least and arguably better then a 22 year old bertuzzi. Power Forwards take time and you can see the hands and vision Zach has. It'll come and it'll be great.

Patience. The rewards will come.

Also, power forwards do go through slumps. They can't crash every game and the body needs to heal sometimes. Lets see what happens come playoff time

Don't you think you're assuming a lack of direction on AV's part? We don't really know what he's told or hasn't told Kassian about his role.

As for Kassian's 3 line changes, they're easily explained. AV wanted to find out, right away, Kassian's potential for offense. Kassian, obviously, had great success there, but also more importantly for the long run, that he had the offensive smarts -- puck protection/shielding, going to the right areas in front of the net and in the slot, passing/cycling -- to succeed there. Next up, AV wanted to see what Kassian could do with a defense-first combo (3rd line), and then that got changed when Kesler returned, and a more complex two-way responsibility was tried.

It all points to AV wanting Kassian to realize that every component is needed. I think it serves to make a case that AV thinks Kassian could be a complete player, and wants to give him a chance to display his abilities in a variety of ways. Maybe AV's asking too much of him right now, but when the line-up is set, I think we'll see AV using him in a third-line role, and if he can contribute more consistently offensively (probably not going to happen this year), then to the 2nd line. If he fails on the third, then back to the Wolves.

He's young and will have a few stinky games. It's tough to stay on Coach's good side too, here in Vancouver.

Saw the behind the scenes thing here on the Canucks site re: interviews. The question: how to get on AV's good side? The players responded. Ballard: "I don't know; been trying to get there for 3 years"! Love it!!!!!!!! he's so right!

So, our young "rookies" of sorts, or those with little experience make a mistake or two and they get demoted. Yet, Bieksa can keep coughing up the puck (despite a couple of goals, his give aways are brutal and the man needs to work on his speed; seems he's got one gear only), Edler can't keep the puck in at the point on PPs these days and they keep up ice time.

So, I think more ice time will help Kassian.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I was just wondering to myself, maybe, just maybe, the reason Kassian can't be a tank every game is because it takes one hell of a toll on the body.

Maybe...

Kassian's a project and I would expect a dozen more threads like this regarding Kassian for the next few years. Actually probably a lot more than a dozen. Guys like him take a long time to develop. Just look at Bertuzzi. The end result is worth the patience though. And when everything goes right there are only a handful of guys that could potentially do what Kassian has the potential of doing. But again, he's a big risk. He might never turn out and that's what you get when you take on a project like him. Definitely far from a safe bet.

But while he can't be scoring or creating havoc physically every single game, he can't be as awful as he was last game defensively either. That won't cut it. Even at 22.

Chris Neil. 3rd line player is what I've all ways said Kassian would develop into. That's a compliment because I think Neil is great for his role.

Right now he's not there. It will take him a couple of years to develop into a Chris Neil.

CDC is too quick to anoint ppl as the next coming of ..... Just a couple of days ago I asked who would pass the puck on the 2nd line and someone called Kassian an incredible play maker, several ppl backed this poster up.

Fan boys get too excited with one pass or one goal. Kassian is not a top 6 player, he should be on the 3rd or 4th line.

Wow.. At first I thought you guys weren't being serious... But...

Do you guys really expect a 22 years old kid crashing and banging every night in his first full season?

One off game from kass, and all the trolls show up in no where saying he's a bust... Jesus Christ people use your brain...

Wow.. At first I thought you guys weren't being serious... But...

Do you guys really expect a 22 years old kid crashing and banging every night in his first full season?

One off game from kass, and all the trolls show up in no where saying he's a bust... Jesus Christ people use your brain...

He is going to be inconsistent, this is his "first" "full" season where he is more than a player trying to stick. supposedly.

What will happen is that he will be learning from the vets (the Sedins in particular) how to prepare and play every game. And he will slowly evolve into a more consistent player. If the Canucks get a good playoff run (at least winning one series, although I think they can do more this year and next if everything falls into place) it will accelerate his learning curve.

Or do you expect him to hit like a maniac every shift, and score or look dangerous every game? No player can do that, they all go through cycles, so at least let a few cycles go by - he will score again when he starts working hard like he did at the beginning of the year. Working hard can be learned.

Archived