The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler, Raymond, Kassian, and the Powerplay

TheWheeler

For the last 4 years, I have absolutely ragged on Mason Raymond. I have wanted him gone! There was absolutely nothing about his game that I liked.

Until recently. And then again those feelings came back last night. Could I be wrong about my impressions of Raymond? He has been great. Really, really great the last 4 weeks. And then he got put on the 2nd line last night, and it all came back to me. I have been wrong this whole time! It's not that Raymond is bad (He still falls down kind of easy and sometimes tries to do too much), but it's when he is on a line with Kesler! I can't stand it. It is awful. Don't reward Raymonds success by giving him time with Kesler. Reward him by giving him MORE time with Schroeder and Hansen. A slick winger deserves to be playing with a play making centre, NOT an averagely slick winger masquerading as a Center.

Two games back for Kesler - Two losses. Coincidence?

I'm not too sure. I actually wasn't even keen on him coming back and I know why now. Because he f*cks up the lines. He doesn't play well with others. Lines develop chemistry, and he gets back in and AV moves people around to suit Kesler. Yet he's not a passer. He's the greatest 3rd line centre of all time in my opinion. And should be decent on the powerplay (You can attribute almost 20 goals of his 40 goal campaign to playing powerplay with the Sedins by the way).

Kassian - Leading goal scorer on the team and is now getting 4th line minutes. It bothered me last night, he should have atleast been in the shootout. However, kid, you gotta work harder than you are. Stop being a lazy sack of meat and get back what the fans loved seeing.

The Powerplay - For crying out loud. Newell Brown is running an absolutely atrocious power play. Get the Sedin's OFF it (blasphemy?). They have been held pointless since January 25th. That's absolutely disgusting for guys of that caliber. Or, get Newell Brown OFF the coaching roster. You know what's getting us points on the powerplay? Our second unit. They are more unpredictable. They are faster. They actually cause problems. I swear last night it was like clockwork with the drop pass. Every. Single. Time. I think, Edler would drop pass. COME ON. Sedin's need to change something, or the coaches need to change something. They are WAY too easy to read, and they do not bring ANY fire to the powerplay right now. These are our go to guys and in previous seasons were absolutely feared on the powerplay. They should be doing better.

Some praise - Raymond/Schroeder/Hansen - Thanks for turning my opinion around on a guy who I wanted run out of this city. They are playing extremely well and making it VERY exciting. Good job!

There's my rant. Now lets discuss it.

honestly, Kassian played a really bad game last night, he started on the second line but got demoted due to poor play, he gave the puck away lots, was floating around and generally looked lost out there. He should have his spot back to start the next game but he needs to figure out how to bring the game that we saw in the first period of the Dallas game on a consistent basis. He has the ability to be a huge difference maker but he has a tendency to not show up sometimes.

Two losses with Kesler back is a coincidence. In both games the team came out strong and looked great only to wilt in the face of the opposing teams push back, this was the whole teams fault, not Kesler. The team has to know that good teams are going to come back at them hard when they get an early lead, it's not going to be smooth sailing for 60 minutes against teams like the blues.

The powerplay has been disturbingly bad and was for the last 20 games or so of last season, this is the biggest concern I think, it has looked better since Kesler came back though so I'm curious to se if it really picks up. I do not understand why Garrison's shot isn't being used though. They took him off because he wasn't getting any points I guess but they also weren't using his shot at all, nobody was setting him up for one timers, he needs to be part of the plan on the second unit.

I would actually like to see Raymond with Kesler more. Raymond was brutal the last couple seasons but he actually is a good passer and now that his game is back I could see him working well with Kesler, maybe it works maybe it doesn't but I think Raymond deserves a good 5-6 games on the second line to see how it goes and if not we know how well he works on the third. Don't forget, he scored 30 goals off Keslers wing.

For the last 4 years, I have absolutely ragged on Mason Raymond. I have wanted him gone! There was absolutely nothing about his game that I liked.

Until recently. And then again those feelings came back last night. Could I be wrong about my impressions of Raymond? He has been great. Really, really great the last 4 weeks. And then he got put on the 2nd line last night, and it all came back to me. I have been wrong this whole time! It's not that Raymond is bad (He still falls down kind of easy and sometimes tries to do too much), but it's when he is on a line with Kesler! I can't stand it. It is awful. Don't reward Raymonds success by giving him time with Kesler. Reward him by giving him MORE time with Schroeder and Hansen. A slick winger deserves to be playing with a play making centre, NOT an averagely slick winger masquerading as a Center.

I'm not too sure. I actually wasn't even keen on him coming back and I know why now. Because he f*cks up the lines. He doesn't play well with others. Lines develop chemistry, and he gets back in and AV moves people around to suit Kesler. Yet he's not a passer. He's the greatest 3rd line centre of all time in my opinion. And should be decent on the powerplay (You can attribute almost 20 goals of his 40 goal campaign to playing powerplay with the Sedins by the way).

Kassian - Leading goal scorer on the team and is now getting 4th line minutes. It bothered me last night, he should have atleast been in the shootout. However, kid, you gotta work harder than you are. Stop being a lazy sack of meat and get back what the fans loved seeing.

The Powerplay - For crying out loud. Newell Brown is running an absolutely atrocious power play. Get the Sedin's OFF it (blasphemy?). They have been held pointless since January 25th. That's absolutely disgusting for guys of that caliber. Or, get Newell Brown OFF the coaching roster. You know what's getting us points on the powerplay? Our second unit. They are more unpredictable. They are faster. They actually cause problems. I swear last night it was like clockwork with the drop pass. Every. Single. Time. I think, Edler would drop pass. COME ON. Sedin's need to change something, or the coaches need to change something. They are WAY too easy to read, and they do not bring ANY fire to the powerplay right now. These are our go to guys and in previous seasons were absolutely feared on the powerplay. They should be doing better.

Some praise - Raymond/Schroeder/Hansen - Thanks for turning my opinion around on a guy who I wanted run out of this city. They are playing extremely well and making it VERY exciting. Good job!

This is the week I have been predicting the Lou trade. My reasoning was that most NHL teams would have a clear handle on their needs, the Canucks included. Well, Kesler is back, has scored two points in two games but is a -3. I become more concerned all the time that Van coaching is more concerned about regular season play than prepping this team for playoffs. Yes, I realize the points are important.

The St. Louis game was big as will be the Hawks later this week. I am not totally unhappy with the play but concerned. I did not expect Kassian to maintain his production but hoped he could continue logging at least 13 to 15 minutes a game. At times he seems lost. If Kassian isn't the physical presence needed for the top 6 then the Lou trade has a targeted need.

Defence: Only the top 6 have played this year. Their transition out of the zone has been excellent. Noticed that the Blues were beating to the outside and like playoff hockey dropping two deep forecheckers regularly.

- the Van defence doesn't seem to have a leader other than perhaps Bieksa.

- Edler has had a number of brutal games lately and nothing outstanding. He misses the net almost as much as Garrison. What strengths does Edler play to? He doesn't seem to do anything consistantly. He is put forward as a Norris candidate but rarely shows flashes of that calibur. We continue to wait. Newall was question in his coaching up front. What about the defence. Is Edler not finding the next gear because of coaching?

- Garrison. I like his play behind the blue line. Offensively I am disappointed. A Florida fan mentioned their frustration with his missing the net so much. Same here.

* Van's right side 'd' is still weak. The d-core is not physical enough. The CBC broadcast last weekend commented on the 'surprised' offensive production from the backend. Last night SN commented how much Van missed Ehrhoff. Van d-core has to produce offensive numbers for them to win games.

Sorry but Tanev was rushing the puck in a more effective manner than Edler last night!

I have been an avid supporter of Raymond since he first came up to the big club. He had his struggles undoubtedly, most of those were due to a string of injuries, from the broken thumb on his shooting hand to the broken back. One thing that I have always loved about Raymond is his work ethic. Its the same reason why I love Hansen. Even if they are not contributing offensively, they are still leaving it all out there on the ice, and both play a solid 2 way game.

Players go through slumps, it happens.

Im not here to say I told you so, but in fact to applaud you admitting you were wrong. Raymond has gone from not deserving a contract, to being an absolute steal for us.

I think Raymond, (and Schroeder for that matter) have silenced the haters, at least for now.

ps: I think last night was the first time I saw Raymond fall this season on his own. But the guy was all over the ice last night, so Im ok with it.

My post from another thread re: the powerplay:

Agreed with this, and on that note I want to point out that I don't like Daniel on the point. He doesn't have a nearly threatening enough shot to be effective from there and he's not a powerplay quarterback either so his playmaking abilities aren't really being put to the best use in that position. I'd like to see Daniel down low on the right side, where he's on his off wing and can easily score those nice tap-ins, and Kesler on the point on the right side, which would allow Edler to go back to his normal position on the left side. Put Kassian down low as the net presence and then I think you'd have the perfect PP set-up.

Kassian - H. Sedin - D. Sedin

Edler - Kesler

^ I'd like to see this configuration tried. That would leave a 2nd unit of Raymond - Schroeder - Burrows as the forwards, which I think is plenty adequate. The key is Schroeder. After Hodgson was traded, the team needed another offensive centre to anchor the 2nd unit and now they have it in Jordan Schroeder.

Archived