The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GET A REAL HEAVYWEIGHT

garthsbutcher

Am I the only one getting tired of seeing us get pushed around game after game. Please dont give me the fact that we have team toughness. We have a few willing middleweights, period. Luongo gets run last night and there is zero retribution. I assure you the whole team would play two inches and 20lbs bigger if you had at least a deterant that you could dress when need be. The 4th line does not score , gets very few minutes so why not have someone who will make the other team think twice about taking liberties with your skilled players. Enough is enough.

Admire Aaron Volpatti for stepping out of his weight class to fight Ryan Reaves because his team was flat in the second period. And it worked to a certain extent. I don't see Dale Weise doing this...

Though my thinking is if Volpatti is going to play 4-6 minutes a night, might as well dress a heavyweight.

Admire Aaron Volpatti for stepping out of his weight class to fight Ryan Reaves because his team was flat in the second period. And it worked to a certain extent. I don't see Dale Weise doing this...

Though my thinking is if Volpatti is going to play 4-6 minutes a night, might as well dress a heavyweight.

I highly disagree that the Canucks have been pushed around. If anything we are tougher this year than we've been for a few years. Just because a game gets a little chippy does NOT mean we are getting pushed around. It just means it's a chippy game with rough play from both sides. In fact I have seen time this year where it was the Canucks that pushed the other team around, for example against Anaheim. Don't forget, we still have Jim Vandermeer who is willing to take on anyone.

so who is this legit toughness and how do you prupose we bring him in exactly?? that's part of the problem as well. do you want to get caught overpaying and potentially helping out another team in the long run by giving up early draft picks and prospects to aquire some toughness that may or may not work out. and its not like a lot of the good tough guys ever really get traded.

I highly disagree that the Canucks have been pushed around. If anything we are tougher this year than we've been for a few years. Just because a game gets a little chippy does NOT mean we are getting pushed around. It just means it's a chippy game with rough play from both sides. In fact I have seen time this year where it was the Canucks that pushed the other team around, for example against Anaheim. Don't forget, we still have Jim Vandermeer who is willing to take on anyone.

He's won about 3 fights his entire NHL career (that i can think of off hand)and 2 of those were against Hordichuk. Why would anyone be afraid of a guy who plays less then 5 minutes a game. To exact all this retribution for our star players the guys gotta be able to be out there for more then that to get his chance. I'd gladly try for a Parros, Neil, or Shawn Thornton because they can actually play the game as well as throw down. But they'll cost you to aquire. Matt Kassian and players of his ilk are a waste of a roster space.

Vandermeer is game but would get killed by a legit heavyweight. Did you not see luongo get run last night with zero retaliation!!! How about when Dustin Brown ran Sedin in the playoffs and then waited for the nearest canuck to jump him which ofcourse no one did.

-The Luongo thing was one play, it happens every game to every team

-The Brown hit was clean, and we had the puck when it happened so it would be foolish to jump him right away when we had an opportunity to score. And you need to watch that sequence again, because after we lost the puck Bieksa chases down Brown and jumps him, initiating a scrum.

-We honestly don't need to worry about beating up the big heavyweights in staged fights. Heavyweight enforcers make up such a small percentage of the league, and they spend most of the time sitting on the bench anyway. In the playoffs, they will probably end up watching from the press box. Enforcers are useless these days, it's all about guys that are tough and can actually play. With guys like Kassian, Vandermeer, and Volpatti in our lineup, who have fought guys like Boogard, Parros, Lucic, Thornton etc., we finally have guys who can drop the gloves with pretty much any player in the league. The Canucks are 3rd in the league in fighting majors so far, so we are clearly willing to fight.

Archived