The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we good enough?

J.I.A.H.N

There is no doubt, we have one of the stronger clubs in the NHL, The question is, are we strong enough to win the cup with the current roster? Can we get by the big clubs? Are we as deap as Chicago and Boston? Is it too early to judge our group? Can we afford to carry 2 premier goalies? Do we need to upgrade our Centre and Defensemen positions.

These are all questions that get asked everyday. I love the players, I love the Team, we look stronger on paper, but have we improved enough compared to the other top contenders.

Do we Tweak or make larger changes? Do we stand pat and see how Booth works out, when back? I have always said "Don't Panic" which I haven't changed. But when do we know and when do we make our changes, if we do?

New players need time to fit in and current players need time to adjust to these new players, if that is Mikes course. Where do you see us compared to the best? I don't think we are there yet, and I am probably a little extreme, in what I would do, but where are we?

I think the Canucks are good enough to win, but unfortunately other factors come into play when it comes to going all the way, like health, luck and matchups.

The Canucks also need their best players playing at their best to win. Look at the Kings last year. I don't think they even come close to winning the Cup if their best players - Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Brown - weren't playing at the top of their game. For the Canucks, that means the Sedins, Kesler, Edler and either Luongo or Schneider.

I dont think we are quite as good as the 2011 version of our team and obviously we know how that turned out. I think we can win the cup though, we just need more luck and for all our players to leave everything they've got on the ice.

Wish I had your optimism.

IMHO, we need more oomph, that J'en neh c'est quoi...what the Kings had going into the playoffs last year...

The Canucks haven't found their groove yet - can they find that same kind of groove the Kings with the existing squad?

I don't know. I'd rather tinker with it as so far it isn't there yet.

We don't seem nearly as dominant as we did then. We could fall down 3-0 and it would seem we would comeback no problem. We also don't have the puck in the o-zone nearly as much, which leads to less of a shooting advantage compared to what it was back in 2011 (35-20 shot totals).

We seem to be blowing every lead this year, it is starting to get ridiculous. How many times have we blown a lead this year in the 3rd period? 2 goal leads? I'd say in 10 of the games.

No. We'll win the division again. We might win a round. But that's about it.

-The Sedins are starting to trend downwards. That makes them easier to shut down.

-Kesler, already banged-up, will be worn out by the playoffs. He can only do so much.

-We're pretty shallow up the middle. Not sold on Schroeder for playoffs.

-Who knows what Booth will do.

-There are other guys, but what they've done in the playoffs so far is nil.

-Hamhuis seems to have declined or is playing hurt.

-Edler still has work to do on defensive coverage.

-Luongo is our best player, but he's on the block.

-Schneider has taken a step back.

Wish I had your optimism.

IMHO, we need more oomph, that J'en neh c'est quoi...what the Kings had going into the playoffs last year...

The Canucks haven't found their groove yet - can they find that same kind of groove the Kings with the existing squad?

I don't know. I'd rather tinker with it as so far it isn't there yet.

not enough sandpaper, need 2 more beasts, a forward and D, we don't have a single D that installs an ounce of intimidation and that is a serious flaw that will be completely exposed come playoff time. we are paying a kings ransom for elder,garrison,bieksa and hamhuis, yet the cheapest guy Tanev is most consistent. nobody in our D is scary and thats a big problem. Alberts ? please.

Dish a goalie + Edler or Hamhuis and either Raymond or Schoreder and we could get serious pieces in return that would give us enough, were not there yet.

we have all the talent, skill and crucial pieces necessary to make a legitimate run at the cup. the key is putting all our weapons together at the same time, and having everyone play their role to their full potential ... if this team can start firing on all cylinders consistently for 60 full minutes, they can match up with any other team in the league and there's no reason we can't take home the Cup.

Archived