The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we good enough?

J.I.A.H.N

The only way the Nucks will be good enough to win the cup is if the get some killer instinct. Along with good reffing, staying healthy and the right matchups in the playoffs.

I'm still not convinced on Booth, he seems too wishy washy to me. As said above they need more sandpaper, not just annoying players like Lappy and Bur.

No. We'll win the division again. We might win a round. But that's about it.

-The Sedins are starting to trend downwards. That makes them easier to shut down.

-Kesler, already banged-up, will be worn out by the playoffs. He can only do so much.

-We're pretty shallow up the middle. Not sold on Schroeder for playoffs.

-Who knows what Booth will do.

-There are other guys, but what they've done in the playoffs so far is nil.

-Hamhuis seems to have declined or is playing hurt.

-Edler still has work to do on defensive coverage.

-Luongo is our best player, but he's on the block.

-Schneider has taken a step back.

TOMapleLaughs:

Your points are taken. You've identified several of the key questions facing the Canucks. However your conclusion of a single round win in the playoffs is pessimistic.

If you resolve your questions in a positive manner the conclusion changes and this team can make a legitimate run at a cup.

For example:

Sedins are trending downward but still capable of being productive.

Kesler is healthy. Will play only 35 reg season games and should be good to go in the playoffs - so I disagree with you on him.

Schroeder could surprise to the upside. Other small fast players have had past playoff success. You won't know till you see him.

Booth is a question. However, if he is better than expected he will have a very positive impact on the team in the playoffs.

Hamhuis and Edler have to be better in the playoffs than they've been the first 14 games of the season. Quite possible.

The goaltending situation will be resolved by the trade deadline. Whoever starts the playoffs in goal needs to deliver.

So yes, you've identified the issues. But I disagree that the dye is already cast and the team's playoff fate is sealed. I think a positive resolution to these issues leads to a deep playoff run.

Tripper: And even if we win, if we win, HAH! Even if we win! Even if we play so far above our heads that our noses bleed for a week to ten days; even if God in Heaven above comes down and points his hand at our side of the field; even if every man woman and child held hands together and prayed for us to win, it just wouldn't matter because all the really good looking girls would still go out with the guys from Mohawk because they've got all the money! It just doesn't matter if we win or we lose. IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!

Rest of group: IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER! IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER...

Tripper: And even if we win, if we win, HAH! Even if we win! Even if we play so far above our heads that our noses bleed for a week to ten days; even if God in Heaven above comes down and points his hand at our side of the field; even if every man woman and child held hands together and prayed for us to win, it just wouldn't matter because all the really good looking girls would still go out with the guys from Mohawk because they've got all the money! It just doesn't matter if we win or we lose. IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!

Rest of group: IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER! IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER...

We are good enough if we are lucky enough to get a lightweight opponent. This team does not match up against big teams like Boston, LA, NYR and Ducks.

The really good news is that there are no shootouts in the playoffs.

I love watching Raymond/Schroeder/Hansen buzz around in the opposing zone and wearing down the opposition defencemen but I think that they will get run over in the playoffs.

There is a lot of talent on this team but we really lack a couple of pure goal scorers. You probably won't go too far if you depend on the PP to win the games because the refs put away the whistle in the playoffs.

Goalies, I was all decided that Scheider was ready but he is being outplayed by Luongo so far. Scheids is a really solid goalie but you have to play the goalie that is playing the best....right now, that is Luongo. We need to try and get a top 6 forward but trading Luongo to aquire one is a huge gamble unless you are 100% sure that Cory is ready to take over.

Edler has too become a solid 2 way dman quickly because his defensive miscues can cost us a key game in the playoffs. Goals seem to be hard to come by so getting behind is a recipe for a quick exit. Garrison has the opposite problem, he has to get his shot on net and produce more.

The team panicks late in the game and takes cheap penalties when they try to protect a lead. Why are they dumping the puck and sending one forward halfway through the 2nd period? The best defense is played in the opposition end of the rink.

We are really weak at center when it comes to winning faceoffs. The Blues really dominated the faceoff circle so much so that MG has to know by now that he has to upgrade that position.

When I watch the Canucks, I see a team that has a bunch of really talented players but a lot of them do not have enough chemistry between them to become a complete team. We will see if the goalie trade can remedy this somewhat but in a short season, if is a gamble.

There's plenty of time left in the season to try to figure these things out. But on the other hand, outside of Kassian and Schroeder, we've seen these guys before and we know what they're capable of.

I'd expect AV to ride his core into the ice before trusting unprovens with important icetime.

TOMapleLaughs:

Your points are taken. You've identified several of the key questions facing the Canucks. However your conclusion of a single round win in the playoffs is pessimistic.

If you resolve your questions in a positive manner the conclusion changes and this team can make a legitimate run at a cup.

For example:

Sedins are trending downward but still capable of being productive.

Kesler is healthy. Will play only 35 reg season games and should be good to go in the playoffs - so I disagree with you on him.

Schroeder could surprise to the upside. Other small fast players have had past playoff success. You won't know till you see him.

Booth is a question. However, if he is better than expected he will have a very positive impact on the team in the playoffs.

Hamhuis and Edler have to be better in the playoffs than they've been the first 14 games of the season. Quite possible.

The goaltending situation will be resolved by the trade deadline. Whoever starts the playoffs in goal needs to deliver.

So yes, you've identified the issues. But I disagree that the dye is already cast and the team's playoff fate is sealed. I think a positive resolution to these issues leads to a deep playoff run.

No.  We'll win the division again.  We might win a round.  But that's about it.

-The Sedins are starting to trend downwards.  That makes them easier to shut down.

-Kesler, already banged-up, will be worn out by the playoffs.  He can only do so much.

-We're pretty shallow up the middle.  Not sold on Schroeder for playoffs.

-Who knows what Booth will do.

-There are other guys, but what they've done in the playoffs so far is nil.

-Hamhuis seems to have declined or is playing hurt.

-Edler still has work to do on defensive coverage.

-Luongo is our best player, but he's on the block.

-Schneider has taken a step back.

Archived