The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we good enough?

J.I.A.H.N

We are good enough if we are lucky enough to get a lightweight opponent. This team does not match up against big teams like Boston, LA, NYR and Ducks.

The really good news is that there are no shootouts in the playoffs.

I love watching Raymond/Schroeder/Hansen buzz around in the opposing zone and wearing down the opposition defencemen but I think that they will get run over in the playoffs.

There is a lot of talent on this team but we really lack a couple of pure goal scorers. You probably won't go too far if you depend on the PP to win the games because the refs put away the whistle in the playoffs.

Goalies, I was all decided that Scheider was ready but he is being outplayed by Luongo so far. Scheids is a really solid goalie but you have to play the goalie that is playing the best....right now, that is Luongo. We need to try and get a top 6 forward but trading Luongo to aquire one is a huge gamble unless you are 100% sure that Cory is ready to take over.

Edler has too become a solid 2 way dman quickly because his defensive miscues can cost us a key game in the playoffs. Goals seem to be hard to come by so getting behind is a recipe for a quick exit. Garrison has the opposite problem, he has to get his shot on net and produce more.

The team panicks late in the game and takes cheap penalties when they try to protect a lead. Why are they dumping the puck and sending one forward halfway through the 2nd period? The best defense is played in the opposition end of the rink.

We are really weak at center when it comes to winning faceoffs. The Blues really dominated the faceoff circle so much so that MG has to know by now that he has to upgrade that position.

When I watch the Canucks, I see a team that has a bunch of really talented players but a lot of them do not have enough chemistry between them to become a complete team. We will see if the goalie trade can remedy this somewhat but in a short season, if is a gamble.

There is no doubt, we have one of the stronger clubs in the NHL, The question is, are we strong enough to win the cup with the current roster? (Doubtful) Can we get by the big clubs? (We usually get beat up and lose) Are we as deap as Chicago and Boston? (Possibly) Is it too early to judge our group? (Yes/no, hard to tell with Booth n Kesler being out this long) Can we afford to carry 2 premier goalies? (No) Do we need to upgrade our Centre and Defensemen positions (YES!!!!)

Wow...I wish I could be as optimistic as so many of you!! I love my team, don't get me wrong, but let's face it......we are not good enough. We are no where tough enough. I don't mean just physical (but that is so true.....we get pushed around way too much with no push back either by body or scoreboard; we fall apart when the slightest momentum swings; no "go for the jugular"), but mostly mental.

Think back: Chicago beat us years ago based on swag. They thought they could steamroll anybody and they did. Boston not only woke up and smoked us, they laid the mental smackdown. LA with it's young freshness felt they could do anything and that attitude translated into their play.

So, if our actual skill is good enough, I agree with the reply that they need to play like it! We could use some strong toughness though. Someone who will have others looking over shoulders when they want to smack the Sedins or our goalie. Someone who will make them think twice instead of other teams around the league openly stating that the "nucks are easy to push around". It's a well-known sentiment that plenty of players talk about. So, we need a Weber, or a good ol' fashioned Scott Stevens like player.

Good luck, I say!

I think we are good enough to make an impact in the playoffs. Now that Booth and Kesler off the IR, we will have good depth in our lineup and hopefully they will play to their potential when they get warmed up.

It´s still early in the season, IMO it´s to early to predict how we will do in the playoffs. Come playoff-time, alot of things will have changed and the standings at that point will make it easier to say how we will do against other teams in the playoffs.

Of course, some more size in our lineup wouldn´t hurt, but with the depth in offensive skill that we have now, and if everyone plays to their potential at some point later in the season, this is going to be good.

Remember that they just came of six straight wins. The Canucks are a force to be reckoned with this year, as almost every year.

I have a good feeling about the cup this year.

Holy negatives!

This team has speed. And Skill. And more size and toughness than it has had. And an injection of youth. Last time I checked those were the right ingredients...

This team has a good chance this year, a really good chance. It's tough to win but this might be the year.

But if u want to be negative... I guess that the sun will be too hot in half a billion years and we will all die. So the Canucks don't have a chance.

If we run into the Hawks, we're going to be surprised at how all their younger guys have stepped up as 2-way forces while ours haven't really. Andrew Shaw comes to mind. He gives them 2-way depth up the middle. Something we don't have. But they still aren't the 2010 Hawks, certainly.

In the end the Canucks will have either $5mil on the bench. Or $4mil. That's too much money to pay for a backup.

I dont even know where to begin this is just all so frakked up !   We have a brutal second period against the Blues and some want to start chopping heads ? This team won 6 in a row and now we have a bunch of guys coming back off IR and you cant see anything positive ?

"The best defense is played in the opposition end of the rink"  do you even know what you are saying here ? I sure as hell don't....but just in case you dont understand defense... it  is primarily played in your own end.

We dont even play any eastern teams this year soooo yeah you can throw that garbage out the window. LA is complete joke and was basically handed the cup and you think we dont match up to the losers ? We stack up great against most teams in the league. Take a look at the teams record over the past 7-10 years. Especially against the elite teams of the league.

Edler is elite and will make some mistakes against elite opposition. All the elite players will have hiccups here and there, but you make it sound like he has no defensive skill at all. Garrison is new to the system and is actually grasping the pace of our system much faster than say Ballard did(who is playing unreal paired with Tanev BTW)

Did you even even watch the playoffs the last few years. LA had a record amount of PP and could barley score. Did you forget the cup finals against BOS ?

7th in the league and 3rd in the conference  ..yeah we are just crapping tha bed   o.O

Imo:

The team is too small up front.

The team is not physical enough up front or on d, and they team lacks quality depth at 3rd line center as Schroeder is ok for the reg season but come playoffs he may not be large enough.

They need to actually score on the powerplays immediately after a cheap shot or they have no deterent.

special teams over all need to improve

The team is spending too much money, against the cap, for their back up goalie.

Lack of killer instinct is big problem.

As it stands the team will win one round but unless some changes are made, not much further.

I want some of you guys are drinking, cause I don't see anything special this year. NOTHING. Average at best in a weak division will make us look better than we are. Early exit this year. We can't (ok don't) compete with the top teams. We need more emotion, pride, character and passion. Talent alone gets you nothing. Shortie said it best tonight..."and once again [said with exasperation] the puck stays in the Vancouver zone". The Hawks wanted the puck more all night and it showed! Crap!!! Nucks just tied it up...oh well there goes my credibility...Canucks will win the cup and go undefeated doing so.

Archived