The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Predators just got screwed by a terrible call, PIC inside

AriGold

Just posted about that in another thread.... Absolutely ridiculous!

The reffing this entire season seems to be substandard. While refs are only human and will always make mistakes, it seems there's a majorly blown calls almost every game, and some games with multiple blown calls. The NHL needs to take a serious look at their refs and make sure they do a better job training, supervising, and holding them accountable. And they need to make all goals reviewable so these kinds of bogus on-ice calls aren't deciding games.

The refs have been ESPESCIALLY bad this year. WOW

I wonder if this is the leagues' way of "getting the NHLPA back"... because people i know who dont even follow hockey are making better calls.

Also, it should all be video reviewable. The refs shouldn't be trying to defend themselves when they make a bad call, rather they should fix the call so the game plays the way it was intended. It should all be video reviewable, and each team should get a set number of call challenges or something. Its absolutely insanity.

how stupid is that. OK so the linesman was "screened"... what kind of excuse is that? Video shows it, both sides know it. They should have a 'quick review' monitor that lets them see the play from useful angles (in this case top-down view) so video replay doesn't slow down the pace of the game, it'd take less time than arguing with the coaches.

Gotta agree with the other posters, linesman fault on that one, maybe he blinked or something. I'm just surprised none of the other officials saw something that obvious and didn't speak up afterwards. I'd say use video review, but if review was to be used on every offside call, the games would be 9 hours long

The refs have been ESPESCIALLY bad this year. WOW

I wonder if this is the leagues' way of "getting the NHLPA back"... because people i know who dont even follow hockey are making better calls.

Also, it should all be video reviewable. The refs shouldn't be trying to defend themselves when they make a bad call, rather they should fix the call so the game plays the way it was intended. It should all be video reviewable, and each team should get a set number of call challenges or something. Its absolutely insanity.

everyone makes mistakes. this video is evidence that the zebras are not just out to get the canucks....

and i agree with some of the posts above, there should be the option to challenge a call (say 1 per period - no rollover). If you get the call overturned...good, if you don't and the call on the ice stands, you get a 2 minute penalty so coaches just dont use the challenge as a time out.

Never seen anything worse. The commentators say the linesman was screened but he clearly wasn't, and a referee saw the whole thing unfold perfectly. No excuse for that.

Bad bounces happen all the time, as do bad calls but this isn't even questionable. The only thing that's questionable now is the integrity of this joke of a league.

K, here's where I think the issue was:

The rule is that if the opposing player (Nashville's D in this case) is the one who puts the puck in the zone, even if the attacking player (Duchene) isn't in yet then it is not offside, but it can't be banked off of them. If the Nashville defenceman there made a kicking motion, but just had it go off him wrong, then that was actually the right call. In the replay I see it go of the D-man's foot, but it's unclear whether it was a kicking motion. Maybe the linesman saw something from that angle that we can't from the replay. But even if it was the wrong call I'd guess that that's where his head was at in not calling the offside.

EDIT: Damn, beat me to it. My logic was right though. Woot.

It did go off the Nashville player. It actually went off 2. If the second D-man was trying to kick it to his stick and had it go off of him wrong and go straight to Duchene it is the right call. But if it just pinballed then it was the wrong call, completely excusable in any case.

So why didn't they just overturn the call?

Is that play non-reviewable too?

Like I don't get it, why would the NHL makes the plays non-reviewable? Wouldn't they rather get the call right, or would they rather have the officials subdued to this criticism after blowing an important call?

We have to go the NFL route, it's getting ridiculous It cost them this game, watch it cost someone a playoff series then we will react. The NHL have been given these warnings that change is needed. So hopefully they do the right thing and make the change the NFL made.

Archived