The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Does Christopher Higgins Need To Do To Breakout?

Pasific Coluseum

This isn't a bashing Chris Higgins thread but I've been underwhelmed with him this year. I remember the Chris Higgins of old with the Montreal Canadiens where he had career numbers. It just seems he's being used more in a defensive role. This guy can definitely score and I just think he has the potential to put up a lot more points.

I would love to see him get power play time. I just don't like the fact Chris seems invisible this season, don't know if its just me.

That's just it. He's used more as a defensive role. We have enough depth offensively to cover up for the lack of production from more offensive players that are shot down lower in the depth chart.. Yes, Higgins can score, we all know that. But AV loves him because he's great defensively as well. He doesn't have to produce offensively for us, not like last season when he would be a regular 2nd liner.. As long as he does what he does and provide timely offence, I don't care.

Higgins is quietly one of the most flashiest, skilled guys on this team but his role doesn't permit him to race up the ice, gamble and take offensive chances.

I watched some of his goals in Montreal - most of them were off the rush, odd man rushes and sick dekes on breakaways. We saw what he can do last season against Kippersoff on a breakaway, this guy has fast hands for a big tough guy and doesn't get to play a very skilled game in Vancouver.

The exact same can be said of Booth, who has far more skill than he's shown in Vancouver. Playing with Kesler on a tough checking line that faces opponents teams top players, he isn't supposed to race up the ice and score goals by himself, but to play solid defence first and foremost. If he had the luxury of free-wheeling offensively then we'd see Booth breakout too.

Higgins is good value for 1.9mil. He adds good secondary scoring, and AV can count on him in any number of defensive roles. I don't really see him 'breaking out' on this team. I think he could be a 30 goal scorer in another role sure, but on this team his role is more defensive, so his 20 goalish pace he's kept with us since coming here is acceptable.

I think it's the role he plays. Or perhaps he isn't what he once was, which is why he bounced around teams so much in his career. I wont pretend to know anything about the way he used to play, but I see Higgins as being a good 2-way player. He has good defensive instincts and good offensive skill. His offensive production has always been inconsistent. That I do know. At least he plays well in his own end when he's on a "down".

I don't see Higgins as someone who will suddenly "break out." I think he'll play the role he plays for the rest of his career. He is a good 3rd liner, where he should be playing (except on our current roster, where the speed line holds that spot.) With Higgins and Lapierre on the 4th line, our 4th line is basically last year's 3rd line. That's a massive improvement, if you ask me.

If Higgins has some magic chemistry with a certain player like Burrows did with the Sedins, you can rub this in my face. But I think what we see of Higgins is where he will stay. He's a 3rd liner. He doesn't play physical, but he checks, forechecks, and plays well on the boards. He chips in when he gets hot. What more can we ask of him?

*** WARNING!! THIS IS A TROLL THREAD - PUT AWAY YOUR PITCHFORKS AND BACK AWAY SLOWLY - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ***

Higgins is quietly one of the most flashiest, skilled guys on this team but his role doesn't permit him to race up the ice, gamble and take offensive chances.

I watched some of his goals in Montreal - most of them were off the rush, odd man rushes and sick dekes on breakaways. We saw what he can do last season against Kippersoff on a breakaway, this guy has fast hands for a big tough guy and doesn't get to play a very skilled game in Vancouver.

Higgins is good value for 1.9mil. He adds good secondary scoring, and AV can count on him in any number of defensive roles. I don't really see him 'breaking out' on this team. I think he could be a 30 goal scorer in another role sure, but on this team his role is more defensive, so his 20 goalish pace he's kept with us since coming here is acceptable.

Archived