Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

how much would you spend to acquire alfredsson?

Discussion

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

the sens season is all but done with the season ending injury to karlsson and spezza out for the next 2 months atleast so they most likey will be selling their vets like alfie, gonchar and latendresse for assets to help them long term. i know alfie has always respected the elite skill of the sedins and last year at the all star game in ottawa alfie said he always wanted to play with the sedins so i know he would love a chance to win a cup on a line with our all stars. how much would the sens want for him just to give a chance at the cup?

alfie is 40 years old but he can still produce at a steady rate with 5 goals, 10 points in 16 games. he is a UFA at the end of year and is expected to call it quits.

how much would you spend to acquire the sens captain?

personally, i wouldnt ship out anything special or anything that could come back and bite you in the butt because he is a purely rental player.....i know gmmg isnt much of a fan of rentals but i could see him making an exception for the right price

to ott: raymond, 3rd pick 2013, 4th pick 2014

to van: alfredsson

sedin-sedin-alfredsson
burrows-kesler-booth
higgins-schroeder-hansen
weise-lapierre-kassian

hamhuis-edler
garrison-bieksa
ballard-tanev

he solidfies the top 6 because u know what your getting in alfie and you need a solid line up to go all the way...obviously

....and i dont trust raymond to produce consistently in a long playoff run as much as i do with alfie

soooooo what do u think?

Edited by billabong, 18 February 2013 - 06:55 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

Absolutely nothing.

13yl1g7.jpg

#3 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Could be a case like Ron Francis in 2003-04. In his last season, the Carolina Hurricanes traded him away for nothing so he could chase a Stanley Cup. He wanted to go to Vancouver or Toronto. Trade happened for a fourth round pick.

I suppose the same thing could happen. Alfredsson to Vancouver for a mid-round pick.

Posted Image

#4 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

about tree fiddy
Posted Image

#5 EagleShield

EagleShield

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

About three fiddy.

#6 EagleShield

EagleShield

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

about tree fiddy

Ha. Great minds...

#7 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

about tree fiddy
Posted Image

I gave him a dollar!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

How funny would that be to have both Sundin and Alfredsson retire in Vancouver.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#9 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

It would be pretty sweet to see the Twins and Alfie on the PP but it really doesnt address any issues we need. He is not a force on the ice as in the past, no real size. Do we really need to waste a pick on an aging superstar ? Yes Alfie has a little left in the tank but I doubt Van would bite on this no matter how cheap we can get him for. I just dont see him keeping up with anyone on our team for foot speed. Yo need to be Hella fast to play in Van.

1987.jpg

On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami :ph34r:

#10 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,242 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

Booth straight up.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#11 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

rather have chris neil
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#12 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Booth for Alfie.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#13 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,061 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:00 AM

to ott: raymond, 3rd pick 2013, 4th pick 2014

to van: alfredsson

So we're trading a 27 year old pending ufa with 9 points in 14 games for a 40 year old pending ufa with 9 points in 15 games and we're giving them a 3rd and 4th round draft pick? Did you think this through at all? Or do you just like Ottawa so much you want to give them our draft picks as a gift?
Posted Image

#14 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

Rather have Gonchar. Obviously not top pairing, but he can certainly QB a powerplay, make nice passes and able to carry the puck out of the zone.

#15 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

Rather have Gonchar. Obviously not top pairing, but he can certainly QB a powerplay, make nice passes and able to carry the puck out of the zone.

We can make room for both :bigblush:

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#16 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

I probably wouldn't trade a major roster player for him (ie: Booth).
Posted Image

#17 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Alfie will be a canuck if the sens are out of it by the playoffs. Not sure what we would trade though... mg should do everything in his power to land this guy... obviously at a reasonable price though.

WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

Florida Panthers GM -  2014-15 Shapheat FHL

#18 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Alfie came to my mind this morning, when I was taking a shower, after an intensive dawn/morning workout.

However, I strongly believe Alfie is a respected Sen, and as much as we would like to have him along with the Sedins, he will not be moving to another team, at this point.
Posted Image

#19 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Alfie came to my mind this morning, when I was taking a shower

TMI allkill.

TMI.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#20 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

I'd give up booth straight up (and a pick probably (3 or 4th)).

Booth would have more playing time in Ottawa with either Turris or Spezza it could work. I don't think Booth is in the Canucks long-term plan (buyout this summer?). The money save on Malhotra and a Luongo trade means the canucks have money to go after a top 6 via UFA or Luongo trade this summer, meaning Booth drops to third line.

Alfie would be good for 1 season only probably and I would put him with Kesler and Kassian. Alfie is still a smart player, capable of setting plays, even though he slowed down a bit. Has more playmaking than any linemate Kesler ever had.

#21 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

I'd give up booth straight up (and a pick probably (3 or 4th)).

Booth would have more playing time in Ottawa with either Turris or Spezza it could work. I don't think Booth is in the Canucks long-term plan (buyout this summer?). The money save on Malhotra and a Luongo trade means the canucks have money to go after a top 6 via UFA or Luongo trade this summer, meaning Booth drops to third line.

Alfie would be good for 1 season only probably and I would put him with Kesler and Kassian. Alfie is still a smart player, capable of setting plays, even though he slowed down a bit. Has more playmaking than any linemate Kesler ever had.

And after this season? Our top 6 is pretty bad as it is, and now you wanna trade one of the players in it for a half year rental?
Posted Image

#22 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

I would do it for prospects and picks. I actually really like Booth, I think people trying to dump him are nuts. Alfie would look great on the 2nd line next to Kesler.

#23 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

TMI allkill.

TMI.

Thanks for the laugh. Made my morning.
Posted Image

#24 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

I'd definately trade Booth for him. He's a lot more steady than Booth is, and although Booth is younger, Alfie has way more leadership (obviously...he's the captain) and dare I say it, Tenacity.

Booth can drop the gloves, but that doesn't really account for much if he can't put the puck in the net. If Alfie is taking crap, he'll take shots back and can let his play do the talking as well.

Think of Alfredsson as our Recchi in the 2011 Playoffs

Picture this also:
We trade Booth (and maybe a pick) for Alfredsson before the deadline and make a run in the playoffs with him and the Sedins leading the charge.

If we falter and miss our goal of the Cup, Alfie can either choose to stick with us as a contender or retire.
We then have the option to trade a goalie, and fill Alfredsson's void possibly by trading up in the draft or for an existing roster player.

Our lines could be:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows (Ol' Reliable)
Alfie-Kesler-Kassian (Playmaker,Sniper, Power-forward)
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen (The speed/energy line)
Higgins-Lapierre-Volpatti (Pest line)
Weise

PP 1

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Edler-Hamhuis

PP 2

Alfie-Schroeder-Kassian
Garrison-Kesler
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#25 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

I don't see trading a 28 year old booth for a 40 year old. Seems like Alfie will retire a senator but if we were to get him I wouldn't offer much.

....and i dont trust raymond to produce consistently in a long playoff run as much as i do with alfie

so you trust a 1st liner to outproduce someone that usually plays on the 3rd line? you don't say

#26 mcgillnuck

mcgillnuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

And after this season? Our top 6 is pretty bad as it is, and now you wanna trade one of the players in it for a half year rental?

We likely can't afford Booth next season anyway, and his value really won't be that high in the off-season.

So it's either Alfie for a playoff run, or midling prospects and picks in the summer. Personally I'd like to see this team go for it while we still can.

Props to canuckbuddy for the sig

#27 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Id offer up Raymond, Rodin, 2nd.

Im sure some team out there will beat that offer though.

#28 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

everyone trading booth after a couple games?... typical...

Once he is back to form, he adds an element the Canucks need... Physical fast forward wholl drive the net... He is so undervalued by most Vancouver fans.

He has 12 hits in first 3 games back from injury by the way... and with sheltered minutes. He's also generating chances, which its only a matter of time before some of those start hitting the back of the net. I wouldnt trade Booth untill the offseason at the very earliest... And again for those who talk about the buy-out... It aint gonna happen. Theres no player on the Canucks roster that there wouldnt be a taker for. You might have to accept less in a trade than youd like re: Luongo, but anything is better than having the owner pay the player a giant wad of cash, and recieving no assets in return. There are plenty of teams that could use a player like Booth, and I still believe that he has a few more chapters to write as a Canuck.

Im not saying he cant be traded, but he wont be given away for a 40 year old pending UFA.... tools... :picard:

Edited by 70seven, 23 February 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#29 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Yeah, don't trade Booth, or anyone else for that matter, but getting an aging superstar for the Cup run, is a good idea.

If Ottawa is out of it, they can do Alfie a favour by trading him to us, and would not need much more than a respectable offer.

The cap will probably be the most difficult thing.

Jagr sure looks great in Dallas and would look awesome on our 1st, 2nd, or 3rd lines.

I would think we would have to give up more to get Jagr.

#30 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I honestly think Alfredsson won't come to Vancouver. He's a long-time Sen, and he will retire a Sen.
If Ottawa asked for the Sedins, would you contemplate trading them? No.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.