The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

how much would you spend to acquire alfredsson?

billabong

I'd give up booth straight up (and a pick probably (3 or 4th)).

Booth would have more playing time in Ottawa with either Turris or Spezza it could work. I don't think Booth is in the Canucks long-term plan (buyout this summer?). The money save on Malhotra and a Luongo trade means the canucks have money to go after a top 6 via UFA or Luongo trade this summer, meaning Booth drops to third line.

Alfie would be good for 1 season only probably and I would put him with Kesler and Kassian. Alfie is still a smart player, capable of setting plays, even though he slowed down a bit. Has more playmaking than any linemate Kesler ever had.

I'd definately trade Booth for him. He's a lot more steady than Booth is, and although Booth is younger, Alfie has way more leadership (obviously...he's the captain) and dare I say it, Tenacity.

Booth can drop the gloves, but that doesn't really account for much if he can't put the puck in the net. If Alfie is taking crap, he'll take shots back and can let his play do the talking as well.

Think of Alfredsson as our Recchi in the 2011 Playoffs

Picture this also:

We trade Booth (and maybe a pick) for Alfredsson before the deadline and make a run in the playoffs with him and the Sedins leading the charge.

If we falter and miss our goal of the Cup, Alfie can either choose to stick with us as a contender or retire.

We then have the option to trade a goalie, and fill Alfredsson's void possibly by trading up in the draft or for an existing roster player.

Our lines could be:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows (Ol' Reliable)

Alfie-Kesler-Kassian (Playmaker,Sniper, Power-forward)

Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen (The speed/energy line)

Higgins-Lapierre-Volpatti (Pest line)

Weise

PP 1

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Edler-Hamhuis

PP 2

Alfie-Schroeder-Kassian

Garrison-Kesler

everyone trading booth after a couple games?... typical...

Once he is back to form, he adds an element the Canucks need... Physical fast forward wholl drive the net... He is so undervalued by most Vancouver fans.

He has 12 hits in first 3 games back from injury by the way... and with sheltered minutes. He's also generating chances, which its only a matter of time before some of those start hitting the back of the net. I wouldnt trade Booth untill the offseason at the very earliest... And again for those who talk about the buy-out... It aint gonna happen. Theres no player on the Canucks roster that there wouldnt be a taker for. You might have to accept less in a trade than youd like re: Luongo, but anything is better than having the owner pay the player a giant wad of cash, and recieving no assets in return. There are plenty of teams that could use a player like Booth, and I still believe that he has a few more chapters to write as a Canuck.

Im not saying he cant be traded, but he wont be given away for a 40 year old pending UFA.... tools... :picard:

Yeah, don't trade Booth, or anyone else for that matter, but getting an aging superstar for the Cup run, is a good idea.

If Ottawa is out of it, they can do Alfie a favour by trading him to us, and would not need much more than a respectable offer.

The cap will probably be the most difficult thing.

Jagr sure looks great in Dallas and would look awesome on our 1st, 2nd, or 3rd lines.

I would think we would have to give up more to get Jagr.

Not too sure Alfie doesnt retire after this season.... Dont know whether he would like to attempt to win a cup with another team, or see things out in Ottawa. And Im not sure how much teams would part with to have him for just the last bit of the shortened season and playoffs.

If he was interested in taking a shot, I'd think Vancouver would be on his list of potential destinations... Contenders, Canadian city, chance to play along side the Sedins... The folks in Sweden would surley love for that to happen... And he could always go back to Ottawa for one last year.... Im sure Gillis would explore the possibillity, but he wont be giving up Booth in a straight across swap imo... Raymond on the other hand is also a pending UFA, and given the style of game he plays (not a playoff type player), thats a possible swap that both clubs might be willing to explore.

Archived