89 replies to this topic

#1 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Anyone got the formula, I'm trying to grill some steaks but since they are so thick, I have no idea how to go about them, Google want's me to read essay's that I don't have time for, so if anyone has it pat down plz help me out, about the temp and cooking mins, Thanks!

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#2 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

Are they still mooing? If so kill the cow first.... next turn grill up to high and put steak on for 5 seconds then flip and put back on to grill for another 5 seconds and your done!!!

Or cut to make thinner slices and marinate for 24 hours... depends on the cut I guess.
Posted Image

#3 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

They are already marinated, thawed and ready to be cooked...

13zpnd4.jpg

#4 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Grade AAA steaks and I don't think cutting em' up is an options right now..Thanks.

13zpnd4.jpg

#5 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

room temperature or cooled?
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#6 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Grade AAA steaks and I don't think cutting em' up is an options right now..Thanks.

Depends on how well you like them... if you want them well done I would wrap them in tinfoil and slap them on the grill so they don't burn.
Posted Image

#7 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

I like my room temperature steaks grilled on high to get a crust then turn over for another crust. They would still be medium rare to medium rare depending on thickness.

Edited by hudson bay rules, 19 February 2013 - 05:40 PM.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#8 ro0

ro0

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

Rule of thumb is 4 minutes per side on high heat for 1 inch thick steaks for medium rare.

Add 2 minutes per side for each additional half inch

Add 2 minutes per side for medium, additional 2 minutes for mid-well and so on

Is she a dress wearer or a pants wearer? Could you share a rowboat? Could a rowboat support her? Would an average size rowboat support her without capsizing?

#9 vavoom

vavoom

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

On a bbq grill?

Get it as hot as possible. Depends on the grill but, I find 3-4 minutes per side is good for steaks that are about 1 inch thick. Then close the lid for maybe another 3-4 minutes (for medium rare) depending on how well done you want it. Then, most importantly, wait for 10 minutes afterwards to cool down. Do not cut into them right away or else it will bleed out all the juices.

#10 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Depends on how well you like them... if you want them well done I would wrap them in tinfoil and slap them on the grill so they don't burn.

Appreciate your input...will buy a ticket to your next comic act! :P...They are thick steaks, I got them cooking under low heat for about the last 23 mins..flip'd em' once, if the were standard size steaks I'd have no prob..

13zpnd4.jpg

#11 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,775 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

http://bbq.about.com.../a/aa071898.htm
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#12 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Gotta turn the heat up to max to cook the inside - low temperatures won't reach the centre very fast unfortunately. Just crank the hit up and flip them often. Should take around 10-12 minutes.

#13 bjh

bjh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Always cook steak on the highest heat possible.

Get an aggressive sear on them and then rest for a long time (15-20) mins on a board under foil and a kitchen towel.

If a steak is extremely thick follow the same procedure but perhaps throw the lid down as well and cook them longer than you would a thin steak.

Pretty much common sense. Just remember that resting is always key to getting the perfect cook on a steak.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,253 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

We need pics...

140an3r.jpg

#15 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,253 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Always cook steak on the highest heat possible.

Get an aggressive sear on them and then rest for a long time (15-20) mins on a board under foil and a kitchen towel.

If a steak is extremely thick follow the same procedure but perhaps throw the lid down as well and cook them longer than you would a thin steak.

Pretty much common sense. Just remember that resting is always key to getting the perfect cook on a steak.

K, I've never rested steak 20 minutes, but it will go cold long before even the 15 minute mark at medium rare. Also cooking the steak at its highest heat possible will make a thick steak raw in the middle and burnt on the outside as far as I can see.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 18 February 2013 - 09:37 PM.

140an3r.jpg

#16 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

K, I've never rested steak 20 minutes, but it will go cold long before even the 15 minute mark at medium rare. Also cooking the steak at its highest heat possible will make a thick steak raw in the middle and burnt on the outside as far as I can see.

That's what I was thinking...

13zpnd4.jpg

#17 bjh

bjh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Definitely not to either of these.

10 minute rest if you're having that problem? Shrug.

Never have had a problem cooking perfect medium rare or rare steaks of any thickness using that method.

I wouldn't be interested in eating cold steak either.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#18 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,005 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

First things first. You take the steak out of the fridge like an hour before you cook it so that it gets to room temperature. Not super long so that it breeds disease but just long enough to get warm. Like an hour or two.

Then crank the BBQ to maximum. As in turn every burner on to max. Super max. If you are using coals get them super uber red hot burning. If there's a thermoter on there then it should be at like 700.

Then put them on (each on directly over a burner) for five mins. Close lid right after to keep heat in.

Flip them. Cook five more mins.

Enjoy.

If you have an infrared side burner, do two mins a side on that, and then put them in for four each side on the main q.

This is my formula for the steaks I cut myself that are about 1 inch thick.

If your steaks happen to be a real fattty one like rib steaks I might take a little time off of even that as the melting fat cooks it even faster.

But the faster the better if it's a good cut of steak you just want it hot enough to kill the nasties and juicify the blood but not so much time to actually stew the beef. This is a steak not a roast.

#19 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Damn I came here thinking invites were going out :P

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#20 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

Make sure the steaks are at room temperature,

This recipe works well with steaks from 1 1/2 inches on up. Just adjust the cooking time and if you really want to be sure use an instant read thermometer to check the centre. The temperatures noted below will rise about 5 degrees as the steak rests for 5 minutes, I wrap my steak in foil and then in a towel to stay warm.

Medium rare (126 degrees F core temp): Cooked to a red warm centre. No part of the steak is cold and very little of the steaks juices have been cooked away. This is how I like my steak.

Medium (135 degrees F core temp): The centre is hot and red surrounded by pink. The outside is brown and fully cooked. Medium has every part of the steak is piping hot when eaten.

Anything more and you cook the juices out.

Here is a standard pan sear recipe (cast iron pan or grill pan) that starts on the stove top and finishes in the oven (a standard technique used by restaurants for thick steaks) - Just make sure that the steaks dried and then are very LIGHTLY oiled - I use grape seed oil as it has a much higher smoking point than canola oil. Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper after oiling. http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#21 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

Make sure the steaks are at room temperature,

This recipe works well with steaks from 1 1/2 inches on up. Just adjust the cooking time and if you really want to be sure use an instant read thermometer to check the centre. The temperatures noted below will rise about 5 degrees as the steak rests for 5 minutes, I wrap my steak in foil and then in a towel to stay warm.

Medium rare (126 degrees F core temp): Cooked to a red warm centre. No part of the steak is cold and very little of the steaks juices have been cooked away. This is how I like my steak.

Medium (135 degrees F core temp): The centre is hot and red surrounded by pink. The outside is brown and fully cooked. Medium has every part of the steak is piping hot when eaten.

Anything more and you cook the juices out.

Here is a standard pan sear recipe (cast iron pan or grill pan) that starts on the stove top and finishes in the oven (a standard technique used by restaurants for thick steaks) - Just make sure that the steaks dried and then are very LIGHTLY oiled - I use grape seed oil as it has a much higher smoking point than canola oil. Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper after oiling. http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html

And you can also do it on an outdoor grill in a similar fashion

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#22 rbochan

rbochan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

Posted Image
...Rob
The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
it's Don't Tread On Me.

#23 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,975 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

sear directly over the coals and then move it to the cool area of your grill to finish the doneness.

10 min rest is fine, tented under foil.

Edited by avelanch, 19 February 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#24 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

Gotta turn the heat up to max to cook the inside - low temperatures won't reach the centre very fast unfortunately. Just crank the hit up and flip them often. Should take around 10-12 minutes.

Awful advice. The higher the heat the fast the outside will cook. For a really thick steak you want to be able to cook some of the inside before the outside is burnt.

You need to start with high heat to get that nice charcoal on the outside, then switch to a low heat to allow the inside to cook. If the steak is really thick, I'd even suggest putting them in the oven for a couple of minutes after pulling them off the bbq.

Keep in mind this is if you don't want very rare on the inside. Also depends on the cut of meat. If you have a marbled meat or fatty meat, you'll definitely want to cook them on a low temperature for at least a part of the process. It'll melt all that goodness into the meat and get rid of random fatty bits.

I'd suggest this, for best taste, if the steak is really thick, and you want it cooked more than medium rare:

1) Sear steak in garlic butter
2) Cook 4-5 minutes on each side on the bbq on high
3) Throw in oven until reached desired level of cooked on the inside
4) Throw back on BBQ 30 seconds a side

Edited by taxi, 19 February 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#25 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,002 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

It would be helpful to know the cut and approximate thickness as fat content (depending on cut) and thickness can effect cooking times and methods.

My personal favourite is a filet mignon or "baseball" steak which tend to be closer to 1.5"+ thick.

As other posters have noted, bring it out of the fridge for a while (+/- 1 hour) to get up to room temperature. A good steak should require very minimal seasoning/no marinade (marinade is for tenderizing tougher, cheaper cuts of steak). Minutes before cooking I might (optional) splash a bit of the red wine (that you should be enjoying with your steak) on, some fresh ground pepper and some EVOO.

Get your BBQ as hot as you can and sear for about 2 minutes over full flame then turn one burner down to low and cook steak on the low flame side for another 4-5 minutes. Turn burner back up and sear other side for another 2 minutes and turn down burner again and cook for another 4 minutes. Remove from grill and rest under tented tinfoil for 5-10 minutes. YUMMMM

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#26 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,005 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Awful advice. The higher the heat the fast the outside will cook. For a really thick steak you want to be able to cook some of the inside before the outside is burnt.

You need to start with high heat to get that nice charcoal on the outside, then switch to a low heat to allow the inside to cook. If the steak is really thick, I'd even suggest putting them in the oven for a couple of minutes after pulling them off the bbq.

Keep in mind this is if you don't want very rare on the inside. Also depends on the cut of meat. If you have a marbled meat or fatty meat, you'll definitely want to cook them on a low temperature for at least a part of the process. It'll melt all that goodness into the meat and get rid of random fatty bits.

I'd suggest this, for best taste, if the steak is really thick, and you want it cooked more than medium rare:

1) Sear steak in garlic butter
2) Cook 4-5 minutes on each side on the bbq on high
3) Throw in oven until reached desired level of cooked on the inside
4) Throw back on BBQ 30 seconds a side

1) Buy a better BBQ
2) Use the infrared grill to sear the meat.
3) Do the 4-5 mins a side.
4) Disconnect oven so as to avoid desire to put meat into it. The oven is for cookies, not meat.

#27 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,002 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

4) Disconnect oven so as to avoid desire to put meat into it. The oven is for cookies, not meat.

Hahah...that made me laugh! :lol:

Seriously though, the oven CAN be a great way to finish up meat. One of my favourite chicken methods is to pan sear the chicken for 2 minutes per side in butter (plus whatever seasoning/herbs etc you'd like) and then finish up in the oven for ~6 minutes (depending on thickness). Delicious, crispy outside and moist and tender inside....mmmm

No reason you couldn't do the same with steak, I just happen to like the flame grilled flavour.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#28 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,005 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Hahah...that made me laugh! :lol:

Seriously though, the oven CAN be a great way to finish up meat. One of my favourite chicken methods is to pan sear the chicken for 2 minutes per side in butter (plus whatever seasoning/herbs etc you'd like) and then finish up in the oven for ~6 minutes (depending on thickness). Delicious, crispy outside and moist and tender inside....mmmm

No reason you couldn't do the same with steak, I just happen to like the flame grilled flavour.

Chicken breasts on low over the BBQ grill.

Full chicken with a beer can up it's *** in the BBQ.

Wings I suppose if you don't have a deep fryer you can use the oven.

And in the middle of deep dark winter you can cook a chicken in the oven but it's not as good on the Q.

Pork chops are good pan fried but if you put them on the BBQ and baste them in a soy sauce and brown sugar mix (cooking low and slow) you will only pan fry in the deep dark winter.

Unless you have a high quality convection oven where you can keep the temperature steady (the problem with convential ovens is they swing up and down in temperature) it would make me cry to put a roast in the oven. So much nicer with the steady heat of a BBQ and if you want you can put some wood chips on the other side to make it low and slow.

#29 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,002 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

I have a convection toaster oven that works surprisingly well in that regard. It's nice too as you're not running a big-jebus 240V oven for a couple little pieces of meat. It also cost a LOT less than a full size convection oven.

Edited by J.R., 19 February 2013 - 11:07 AM.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#30 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,975 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

sooo, whats up with you guys and your gas grills.... you might as well just use an oven as the water vapour from your flames will prevent any decent smoke flavour from penetrating your meat.

Edited by avelanch, 19 February 2013 - 11:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.